Modern Knives Video-Zine....?

D

Datu Kelly S. Worden

Hummm sounds like a cool variety of material for the next issue. I like Pete Kautz, he is solid player and a no nonsense kinda guy,,, Jim Keating? Well we've been training partners and friends for real close to 20 years if not longer. Few know of his connection to Ernesto and Professor Remy, Jim keeps a little more to himself and has developed a very diverse system that's hard to beat when "steel seeks flesh" or "wood seeks bone"...

Honestly I can't tell you what Pete is going to put up for grabs in respect to my material, I just sent him some seminar material and he took whatever he wanted. Moving in multiple directions seems to be my only options these days, so I just don't plan or set up my video projects to look or sound good. I teach for who's in attendance, chances are a foul word or 100 will be coming over the airways, no apology, just the facts.... Have fun or spit and run,,, it's always you're choice,,,

Cool Breeze, Datu Kelly

K

Keith Jennings

Mr. Worden,

Thanks for chiming in! Yeah, issue two looks pretty bad-***. I am very anxiously waiting to see your segment on the Travel Wrench. Mine is with me constantly; that nasty little thing passes by security every time. It’s a beautiful thing ;)

K

Keith Jennings

I thought I would share this. A review of the first issue of Modern Knives was posted over on Sword Forum International. Most of the folks on SFI are into swords not knives, so I figure that some of you would be interested in it:

Modern Knives DVD Spanish Volume Review
[font=arial, verdana, helvetica]Pete Kautz of Alliance Martial Arts is now offering "Modern Knives Video Magazine" in a dvd format. I picked up the first volume of this series (in dvd) a while ago and the following is a quick review.

This volume is a collaboration between Pete Kautz, James Keating, and James Loriega. Many of you who are practitioners of western (bowie, navaja) and filipino knife arts may already be familiar with these instructors' work. Previous knowledge of these blade arts is not required however for viewing enjoyment or comprehension. While the content all loosely falls within the sphere of "spanish influence", each chapter is distinct in content and emphasis.

James Keating's "Spanish Notch and Blade Catchers" emphasizes one of the perhaps less utilized or understood aspects of the fighting bowie. Using both flexi-daggers and larger knives of Keatings' own crossada design (a bit of product placement), this chapter illustrates some of the binds and disarms that may be accomplished using the spanish notch and quillons.

Loriega's presentation "Fundamentals of Navaja Use" is noteworthy for its emphasis on the historical and cultural background of the navajha and its use. He introduces the viewer to several configurations of the knife from the sevillana to the salva virgo (chastity knife). The proper method of opening and closing the knife is illustrated as are many of the grips commonly employed. Guards, parries, slashes and thrusts are all demonstrated with accompanying discussion of their role within the culture of the Spanish gypsies and lower classes.

Pete Kautz wraps the dvd up with demonstrations of the Espada Y Daga of modern arnis. This section emphasizes the cinco terro (5 basic blows) and the attacks that come from it. In many respects this may be the most visually sophisticated section, as techniques are broken down from different camera angles to a greater degree in this section than in the previous section (although head-on and side views were used during both Keatings' and Loriega's sections). In part, this may be because of the greater complexity associated with using an off-hand weapon. There is an emphasis on truly absorbing and functionally using the basic angles that is refreshing. I personally do not come from a FMA background, yet found the material understandable and reproducable.

Although each section appears to have been seperately filmed in each instructor's school, lighting is good and techniques were readily visible. I had some slight pixelation, but I suspect this was due to my player as it ran fine on someone else's. A real asset of the DVD (as with all dvds) was the ability to skip around, repeat sequences multiple times and go frame by frame as needed. I suspect the dvd might have a bit more use-life than the vhs format as a result. In conclusion, it was a solid production that provides the viewer with quite a bit of training material. If you have any interest in western knife arts with a spanish flavor it is a worthwhile addition to your collection.

Future volumes will also emphasize the blade arts of different culture areas as taught by various guest instructors.
[/font]

My response:

[font=arial, verdana, helvetica]Nice review, Tom. From what I’ve heard, there is going to be a lot of variety in the knife methods presented in Modern Knives. Issue 2 focused on the South Eastern knife-arts, with instruction in the kerambit, the Filipino “thrusting triangle”, and features Modern Arnis Master Kelly Worden. Like issue 1, there is a lot of material jammed into sixty minutes.

In Pete Kautz’s segment, he shows a number of variations to the basic “thrusting triangle” drill that will keep you training for a long, long time. James Keating teaches the kerambit not in the flashy, spiny, wild-west method most commonly seen, but rather as a compliment to your natural CQC weapons (namely, elbow shields and strikes). Keating is a true master, and any opportunity to watch him move is worth it. Finally, Kelly Worden goes through a lot of material in his segment, including drills for using the Travel Wrench, my all time favorite self defense tool.

So, not a formal review, but you get the idea. Thus far, I am very pleased with Modern Knives, and I am particularly looking forward to the special Western knife craft issue.
[/font]

OP
Cruentus

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Keith,

Thanks for posting that wonderful review. I had the chance to view the first issue....but I have been too busy away from the computer to sit down and do a fair review.

I'd like to add a few things that I liked about each instructors segment. Otherwise, the review you posted was complete enough.

My review, segmented for the sake of brevity:

1. Keating: The video started with Jim Keating's segment. He did a phenominal presentation as usual. Classic to Keating's instructing style, his segment captures the student well because it starts off with some very simple concepts, and builds from there. I liked how he started with the fencing blades, and demoed some basic circular parry/control techniques with the use of the guard. This not only showed the fencing application to the use of the "spanish notch", but it really showed how the use of the notch is ABOUT LEVERAGE rather then trying to accurately "catch" a blade in mid air. This is because on the fencing blades, the guards didn't have notches, yet Mr. Keating was able to take control of his partners blade through the use of leverage all the same. Then, when one adds the notches (he used his crossada trainer, the best of the best of blade for catchers, but any long knife with knotches in the guard would do) he demonstrates how simple it really is to "catch" the blade with the notches through the use of leverage and body positioning. All and all, a great segment with a lot of material covered.

2. Loriega: James Loriega gave a great introduction to a little known Spanish knife fighting system that uses the Spanish knife called the Navaja. Overall, this is a very applicable system. Although I always advocate trying many different knife methods, if one soley trained in this system, one would be a tough person to contend with. I liked the fact that he discussed the history of the blade, as history tends to shed light on the "why's" of the ways of a system. As to the technical aspects, I liked the standard guard, as it looks very unorthidox compared to what is generally done today. However even though the guard position is unique, I can see how it is vary applicable. The live hand (or empty hand) covers and guards the throat, a "kill shot" and a primary taget in this system. The knife is compact to the body which makes a "defang" or hand strike disarm less likely. Yet, the overall body position and lead foot still gives the navaja player good lead stance, losing no distance. The only thing one would have to watch, I'd imagine, is an elbow check/control to the live hand, which would expose the live hand side greatly. This does not make the stance inferior though, because as with any guard position, there are always strengths and weaknesses that the player can use to his advantage. I'd also like to note that one of most effective aspects of the system is the address of ANGLES in stepping and attack right from the basics. The basics of this system doesn't just involve cuts and attacks, but it involves specific angular stepping as well. This inundates the student to angular stepping and attacking from the beginning - which could be the difference between winning a knife encounter fairly unscathed, or trading blows aimlessly.

3. Kautz: Pete Kautz has showed great presentation skills and screen presence in this demonstration of Epada Y Daga: The Spanish Technique of Arnis. Like Mr. Keating, Kautz started with the simple Cinco Teros (5 angle) striking pattern, and moved into more complexities. This is a great way to instruct material because everyone, from novice to advanced knife player, who plugs in the video and watches Mr. Kautz's session will be able to walk away with something of value. Mr. Kautz demostrated a smooth transition, or "flow," with his techniques using a long daga and short espada. I also liked the fact that all of Mr. kautz's strikes came from the ground up, or from the legs and hips to the arms. Too often blade people get lazy with their lower body and in generating power, and it was nice to see that this was not the case here. Overall, practicing this segment will help one build ambedexterity and the ability to wield 2 weapons simultaniously.

Overall: Mr. Kautz and Mr. Keating did a wonderful job organizing this project. I think that this idea is on the cutting edge of instructional video's. I personally learned the most from Loriega's segment because I had not been introduced much to this cultural knife fighting system; so it was very unique to me. I also found a lot to draw from with Keating and Kautz's segment, particularly in the presentation of the material. They both are very commanding with their presentation skills and screen presence; something that intsructors can grow from as well. Last but not least, I enjoyed the video review of La Verdad Destreza by Meastro Ramon Martinez. Mr. Martinez is a very skilled traditional fencer; and it was good to see the similarities and the way the traditional Spanish fencing carried over into the knife world.

All and all, good work guys. I recommend this series for anyone who wants to incorprate knife work into their training, and who is looking for a diverse grouping of material to work from.

I look forward to viewing issue #2!

Yours,

Paul Janulis

Pete Kautz

White Belt
Reaction score
Keith, Tom & Paul,

GREAT reviews guys, very informative. I'll have to subscribe to Modern Knives so I can check it out!

Modern Knives #2: South East Asian Fighting Arts was sent out a few weeks ago along with the prizes from the second subscribers-only drawing which included several Travel Wrenches, ShomerTec Kerambits, and a Spyderco Spyderfly. Yet again the last guy to sign up just before we did the drawing ended up winning something! Is it luck or is there some kind of “gut feeling” telling them to “SIGN UP NOW”. It will be interesting to track this phenomenon in future contests!

We're already to work on MK#3: Traditional Arts / Modern Day. I saw Jim Keating's segment the other night and let me just say it is a very fresh look at an old piece of training equipment…one many people have around and yet do not really utilize. I don’t want to spill the beans on exactly what it is right now, but let me say it got me so fired up just watching that I went out to the school last night at 3am to do the drills!

More details to follow on MK #3 as they become available…stay tuned.

All the very best,

Pete Kautz
http://modernknives.com
http://alliancemartialarts.comhttp://alliancemartialarts.comhttp://alliancemartialarts.com

PS – Paul, I know you’re a busy guy but if you could please add the two links above to the sticky thread of Knife Training Links on the forum it would be great. I would do it myself but it is a locked thread…

OP
Cruentus

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Pete Kautz said:
PS – Paul, I know you’re a busy guy but if you could please add the two links above to the sticky thread of Knife Training Links on the forum it would be great. I would do it myself but it is a locked thread…

Will do, Pete. Sorry for not having done this sooner. I have a small list of some link updates, your's included, but it has needed to be organized properly, which is why the delay. Yet, I WILL have time to do this tomorrow (Friday 8/12), I promise.

Sorry for being a butt and not doing it earlier... :uhyeah:

Yours,

Paul

Dale Seago

Black Belt
Reaction score
No, though I will say that I thoroughly enjoyed Kelly Worden's material in that one.

Just got a note from Pete saying Issue #3 is ready to go in VHS this coming week, with the DVD version following a little later. Pete has an overview of who's doing what at http://modernknives.com/issue3.htm

Note that there is a single-issue subscription (with option to upgrade later) rate available for those who don't want to commit right away to a full annual subscription.

OP
Cruentus

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've fully enjoyed watching everyone for one reason or another so far. Congrats on being a featured instructor, Dale. I hope to get the chance to view it.

Yours,

Paul

K

Keith Jennings

Hi Dale and everyone,

I just finished watching issue three, and once again there are many, many hours worth of drills and concepts to spend the next several weeks working on.

Keating’s segment on adapting the back-cut to a smaller blade was a real eye opener. I own a Chinook, but the method Keating shows can really be used with any folder with a bowie-style blade, such as Cold Steel’s Voyager series. As Keating rightfully points out, doing a traditional back-cut with a folder brings up two problems: the possibility of compromising the strength of the lock, and the unsharpened back edge. However, Keating uses a method that is half way between a snap-cut and a back-cut to great effect, and really shows the genious behind the design of the Chinook. Also, Keating shows his back-cut flow drill that can be done using a bowie, navaja, Chinook, or really any blade with a clip point.

I had the chance to train with Dale Seago a few years back at Brian Price’s last Swordplay Symposium in Benicia, CA, so I was excited to see his segment. Dale segment was conceptual in nature, and proved that realistic self defense is 90% awareness, with the rest just being details. Dale showed how observing special relations between yourself and those around you could really help to save you against a sudden attack. Keeping potential attackers at a certain distance allows for more reaction time to offer up some sort of defense if presented with a surprise knife assault. Plus, as they say, knives are more often felt than seen, so you might not even realize that your facing a knife until it’s too late.

Lastly, Pete Kautz expanded on the wonderful COMTECH Drawpoint method. One of the most under-trained aspects of knife fighting is drawing your blade in a self defense situation. The Drawpoint method utilizes the reverse grip, and Pete showed how, even with your knife covered by a jacket, it is possible to deploy your knife in under a second. Pete also showed a number of variations to the drills used in the Drawpoint method, and anyone who has been exposed to the Drawpoint method will find Pete’s segment very useful.

As Dale said, Pete’s segment is a bit quiet, but by raising the volume a bit I was able to hear his segment just fine. Modern Knives is turning into quite the resource for bladed arts practitioners, and hope that there is able to be a season two. Personally, I absolutely can’t wait until the end of the year bonus issue on the bowie knife. So far, issue one and two have both had segments that apply to the bowie, but it’s the bowie knife special issue that I’m looking forward to!