Modern Arnis Symposium - A Different Viewpoint

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jerome,

I am sorry to hear about your recent family issues.

Originally posted by DoctorB
2003 Modern Arnis International Symposium 1
Instructor Schedule – Tentative as of June 13, 2003

Friday, July 11, 2003:
6 – 7 pm Opening of Symposium and Introductions

My Choices, I would want to see given the schedule.

7 – 8:30 Training Session #1:
Guro Bruce Chiu; Senior Master Rocky Paswik; Open Session

Guro Bruce Chiu

Saturday, July 12, 2003:

9 – 10:15 am Training Session #2
Datu Dieter Knuttel; Guro David Ng; Senior Master Richard Roy

Senior Master Richard Roy

10:15 – 11:30 am Training Session #3
Guro Dawud Muhammad; SM Rocky Paswik; Guro Peter Vargas

Guro Dawud Muhammad

11:30 am – 12:45 pm Training Session #4
Punong Guro Tom Bolden; Senior Master Bram Frank; Open Session

Senior Master Bram Frank

12:45 – 2:00 pm Training Session #5
Senior Master Dan Anderson, Datu Dieter Knuttel; Datu Tim Hartman

Datu Dieter Knuttel

2:00 – 3:15 pm Training Session #6
Guro Peter Vargas; SM Richard Roy; SM Bram Frank

Guro Peter Vargas

3:15 – 4:30 pm Training Session #7
Guro David Ng, Guro Dawud Muhammad; Datu Tim Hartman

Guro David Ng

4:30 – 5:45 pm Training Session #8
PG Tom Bolden, SM Dan Anderson; Guro Bruce Chiu

PG Tom Bolden

5:45 – 6:00 Reserved Session & Discussion

Sunday, July 13, 2003

9 – 10:15 am Open Sessions with Guest Instructors

10:15 – 11:30am Open Sessions - Third Presentations/ Guests

11:30 am – 12:45 pm Open Sessions - Third Presentations/ Guests

12:45 – 1:00 pm Closing the Symposium / Certificates

-----------------------------------------------------------------

The schedule is tentative and there may be revisions based on need and re-vamping of the time frames.

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

Jerome,

The only reason I bring this up, is to ask some questions. As it stands I will not be able to see three of the big guns on the schedule. Datu Hartman, Senior Master Anderson and Senior Master Paswik. I have seen these three before, and this is why they are not currently on my to see list with the given schedule.

I did see that you had some open session. I was wondering if you have had the chance to fill those, or an updated schedule. I like to plan in advance. So, if I must choose I would like to make the decision before I get in the car to drive out :D. I know it is a failing of mine. It also gives those looking for a chance to swing at me a chance to to plan ahead also. :D Hence, my displeasure at not being able to see Tim, Dan and Rocky, who I know that all three of them would be out to get me. ;) Paranoia Joke, with my Friends, everyone.

I had hoped to be able to see everyone there.

Tim and Dan and Rocky, Please do not take this personally for not making my list of people to see at this event ;). We can chat and share a beer or two in the evenings. :cool:

Hoping to hear some updates.

Thank You
:asian:

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rich Parsons
Tim and Dan and Rocky, Please do not take this personally for not making my list of people to see at this event ;). We can chat and share a beer or two in the evenings.

Not a problem Rich. I do feel that the scheduling may cause some problems. There are several people that I would like to see, but I will miss out on some of the other instructors due to schedule conflicts.

Any suggestions? :confused:

E

Emptyglass

Hi all:

Just a few days left until the Symposium. I'm really looking forward to seeing some of you again and meeting others. It's going to be great!

Thanks,

Richard Curren

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Emptyglass
Hi all:

Just a few days left until the Symposium. I'm really looking forward to seeing some of you again and meeting others. It's going to be great!

Thanks,

Richard Curren

Yes Richard, I am looking forward to meeting lots of new people and talking to old friends as well :D

See you there

OP
Dan Anderson

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by Renegade
Any suggestions? :confused:

Probably the answer lies in the open sessions. Those might be used to work with an instructor whose scheduled class you missed. My suggestion.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dan Anderson
Probably the answer lies in the open sessions. Those might be used to work with an instructor whose scheduled class you missed. My suggestion.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

Great Idea Dan,

Only if the instructor sticks around ?

Since there are only three areas for the teaching, I assume the open will have only three also, so I hope I can catch those I miss. I am just concerned that I will only have the option of seeing people I already have, and could have seen others earlier in the week :D

As Daffy Duck says, "I am A GREEEEEDY Little Coward"

I say, "I am a GREEEEEDY Martial Artist" I want to train wiht everyone :)

OP
Dan Anderson

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
"I'll be there. I'll be there. Whenever you need me, I'll be there."

This was sung by Michael Jackson when he was still a kid and not the (insert your own description here) he is today.

I suppose quoting the song betrays my age but hey, my hairline already did that. I'll stick around for Q&A topics, much like at the first WMAA Camp. You ask me, "What's your take on...?" and off we go.

See y'all in Buffalo. :D

Yours,
Dan Anderson

D

DoctorB

Originally posted by Rich Parsons
Jerome,

I am sorry to hear about your recent family issues.

My Choices, I would want to see given the schedule.

Guro Bruce Chiu

Senior Master Richard Roy

Guro Dawud Muhammad

Senior Master Bram Frank

Datu Dieter Knuttel

Guro Peter Vargas

Guro David Ng

PG Tom Bolden

Jerome,

The only reason I bring this up, is to ask some questions. As it stands I will not be able to see three of the big guns on the schedule. Datu Hartman, Senior Master Anderson and Senior Master Paswik. I have seen these three before, and this is why they are not currently on my to see list with the given schedule.

I did see that you had some open session. I was wondering if you have had the chance to fill those, or an updated schedule. I like to plan in advance. So, if I must choose I would like to make the decision before I get in the car to drive out :D. I know it is a failing of mine. It also gives those looking for a chance to swing at me a chance to to plan ahead also. :D Hence, my displeasure at not being able to see Tim, Dan and Rocky, who I know that all three of them would be out to get me. ;) Paranoia Joke, with my Friends, everyone.

I had hoped to be able to see everyone there.

Tim and Dan and Rocky, Please do not take this personally for not making my list of people to see at this event ;). We can chat and share a beer or two in the evenings. :cool:

Hoping to hear some updates.

Thank You

Hi Rich,

Thank you for your statement with regard to my family and the deaths of Elaine and Cletes. Very difficult to accept and understand, but we have to deal with it none the less.

You have made some great choices and they were quite difficult to make, I am sure. I had two very difficult tasks with regard to making up the schedule. First I wanted to ensure that everyone who was originally scheduled to teach and who volunteered to be a presenter has two (2) time slots as promised at the outset of the pplanning for the Symposium. The second concern was that every instructor was not placed against either of the same two instructors a second time. That problem was the real bear.

Like all big events with multiple instructors, it might be best to choose to go see the people whom you have not worked with before. One of the goals that I had in mind for the Symposiuim was to give the attendees the opportunity to see and train with new and different people. In other words, expand on their experiences and get a new perspective on Modern Arnis.

With a couple of the presenters, Rich, the mere mention of your name and your size will have them swinging at you in spite of the fact that they do not know you at all ;) You just seem to have that sort of effect on people :D What more can I say???:cool:

All kidding aside, I will not have the final schedule until Friday morning because of David Ng's cancellation on Monday of this week and I am going to fill his slot with a good candidate whom I have been holding in reserve. And as I have said a couple of times, these kinds of events always come with surprises, some planned and others necessiated by circumstances.

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dr Barber

Are you going to have anything printed up with a slight description (mini bio?) of the presenters and the final teaching schedule of the symposium at the sysmposium? It would be nice to know what the presenters background is and what they plan to teach during their sessions. This would be especially helpful if the instructor is planning on teaching different topics during different sessions.

I know a thread was started on what was being taught and I have monitored it but it didn't seem like all of the instructors participated in it. Which is why I'm suggesting/asking about it now. (As if you don't have enough on your plate organizing this already :D )

Datu Dieter's posts on what he would be covering (different subjects at different sessions) was what originally got me thinking about this, and then Rich Parson's post on who he would be seeing really got me thinking about it just now. So you can blame them :D .

All kidding aside some of the names of the instructors I don't know about but have heard in the past at camps, others I haven't heard about, some have posted here etc. etc. But it wouold be nice to know a little about them and what they are planning on teaching so we can chart our training time. Some people might want to go see the instructors cause they have never seen the people before, others cause they have seen them, and others because of their content of what they plan to teach. It would be helpful.

Regardless I look forward to attending the event and some different training.

Mark

Sorry if I screwed up spell checking this I've got to go.

D

DoctorB

Originally posted by The Boar Man
Dr Barber

Are you going to have anything printed up with a slight description (mini bio?) of the presenters and the final teaching schedule of the symposium at the sysmposium? It would be nice to know what the presenters background is and what they plan to teach during their sessions. This would be especially helpful if the instructor is planning on teaching different topics during different sessions.

I know a thread was started on what was being taught and I have monitored it but it didn't seem like all of the instructors participated in it. Which is why I'm suggesting/asking about it now. (As if you don't have enough on your plate organizing this already :D )

Datu Dieter's posts on what he would be covering (different subjects at different sessions) was what originally got me thinking about this, and then Rich Parson's post on who he would be seeing really got me thinking about it just now. So you can blame them :D .

All kidding aside some of the names of the instructors I don't know about but have heard in the past at camps, others I haven't heard about, some have posted here etc. etc. But it wouold be nice to know a little about them and what they are planning on teaching so we can chart our training time. Some people might want to go see the instructors cause they have never seen the people before, others cause they have seen them, and others because of their content of what they plan to teach. It would be helpful.

Regardless I look forward to attending the event and some different training.

Mark

Sorry if I screwed up spell checking this I've got to go.

The final schedule will be made up tomorrow and distrubted at the Symposium. Bio's/teaching and training will be mentioned as well.

The real fun is about to begin and I have already talked with Datu Dieter Knuttel, who arrived yesterday. I am looking forward to seeing you on Friday, Mark.

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

Latest Discussions