Modern Arnis Succession Part2

Dieter

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Hi Tim,

thanks for your reply.
Just a few remarks to your e-mail.
Ernesto has learned from the Professor and was ranked by him at least up to 7th Dan. I saw the Modern Arnis certificate with the signature of the Pofessor in Ernestos gym in Manila in 1983. He taught Modern Arnis under this name to many police and armed forces units as well as in universities and colleges in Manila. He wrote books and produced videos under the name of Modern Arnis. He only changed to Kombatan about 2 or 3 years ago. I have heared under the pressure of the Professor, but this is hearsay, I don´t know. And he has changed the name, but not the techniques. I saw an exhibition of Ernesto las year and it was still about 90% the techniques that I have learned some 15 years ago.

But I had an interesting e-mail converasation with Gat puno Baet about Modern Arnis. He was a student of the Professor and Modern Arnis representative for Laguna in the 70ies.
He also knows Ernestos Program. He wrote, that Ernestos Modern Arnis is closer to the Professors Modern Arnis of the 70ies, compared to what the Professor taught in the late 90ies. So the Porfessor evolved. Very good and I think for the better of the system, but both is Modern Arnis. For exampple Rocky Paswik, who learned Modern Arnis under the Professor of the early 80ies for sure learned another version than people, that learned it in the late 90ies. Out Modern Arnis might not be the same as yours, but it still is Modern Arnis.
The Professor saw during his seminars more than 50 black belt examinations of our organisation and we always talked with him about the exam afterwards. He signed them all and always spoke very highly of our exams, in front of the seminar participants and in private conversation. If he would have thought, this is not Modern Arnis, he would have told us and he would not made me a Datu and his European Modern Arnis Representative in 1996.

Regarding Gaby you did not quote me correctly. I did not say that she (your quote) "...is not active with the German Modern Arnis players..."(end of quote)
I stated, that (my quote) "she has nothing really to do with most of the Modern Arnis players in Germany" (end of my quote). That means, she is teaching, but for example our group and others are much larger than her group and that she has no contact with them. This is ok for me, neither good nor bad and I don´t want to evaluate this. These are just the plain facts.

I only wrote this, because Celadora wrote earlier in this thread: (another quote)" I was under the impression that Germany and all of Europe were under the region of one of the MOTTs, Gaby Roloff. " (end of the quote).
This is not the case and that is all I wanted to point out.
I also do not want to create any trouble with anybody.
I just want the facts to be clear.

Best regards from Germany

Datu Dieter Knüttel

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's great to have Mr. Knüttel posting here--thanks! The early history of the Presas brothers is very interesting and I would be curious to hear more of it.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Datu Knüttel - Welcome. :asian:

I think its great that we've got such a blend of individuals here from the Arnis world. We have what? 3 of the 6 Datus here now? Many individuals who trained with GM Presas over the last 30+ years.

The more info the better, especially to those of us who are new to the art.

:asian:

OP
N

no fefe

Hello Datu Dieter I attended a seminar of yours at Datu Worden's school many years ago. I was wondering when is the next time you will be passing through the states again.

Robert K

Dieter

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Hello Robert,

nice to hear from you.
It is not really up to me when I will be back in the US teaching.There should be 2 or 3 seminars in a row, so that the flight over to the US is worthwhile. The Porfessor encouraged me to come over to the US (he always asked the americans, that were with him here in Germany, to set up seminars for me, like Al Garza, Jeff Delaney and Tony Silverio (he asked Tony when I was at a summercamp in New England)) and I have been teaching a few seminars in Whichita/ Kansas, Tacoma, New England, Philidelphia and Houston. But at that time (around 1997/98) it was difficult, because the Professor was very active traveling a lot and it was hard to find times in different areas, where he was not. If there is a seminar with the Professor in the next weeks, why should one come to a seminar with a student of the Professor. Now there are 6 Motts in the US and I think they tech a lot.
But if there is any interest and demand for some seminars with me, I am willing to come, to whatever organisation.

Just two more things about questions asked before: the colored rim around the belt indicates the next color, so if you have an yellow belt rimmed with green, the next examination should be for geern belt. In Professors old book from 1973 the highest belt was red, so thats what the red rim at the blach belt was for. Red was always an important color for the Filipinos. Juramentados for example (people that made suicide attacks in the Philippines) were wearing a red headband, when they had killed at least 7 people. Red was also the color of the pants of the original Miodern Arnis uniform, that the Professor designed beginning of the 70ies.

Another point was the question about why the knot of the belts is on the right side.
I asked this question to the Professor and he told me, that it is a symbol for a sword or machete, that is worn in the Philippines. And for the Professor was left handed, he would have the machete on his right hip, to be able to draw it quickly. Thats what he told me, why the knot is on the right side

So much for now

Datu Dieter Knüttel

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dieter

Just two more things about questions asked before: the colored rim around the belt indicates the next color, so if you have an yellow belt rimmed with green, the next examination should be for geern belt. In Professors old book from 1973 the highest belt was red, so thats what the red rim at the blach belt was for. Red was always an important color for the Filipinos. Juramentados for example (people that made suicide attacks in the Philippines) were wearing a red headband, when they had killed at least 7 people. Red was also the color of the pants of the original Miodern Arnis uniform, that the Professor designed beginning of the 70ies.

Another point was the question about why the knot of the belts is on the right side.
I asked this question to the Professor and he told me, that it is a symbol for a sword or machete, that is worn in the Philippines. And for the Professor was left handed, he would have the machete on his right hip, to be able to draw it quickly. Thats what he told me, why the knot is on the right side

Datu Dieter and the MartialTalk Web hosts,

Thanks for those bits of history. I think that is just one of the many values of MartialTalk, that is to bring various people together to communicate and preserve the history of Modern Arnis.

Palusut

Pappy Geo

Green Belt
Reaction score
Datu Dieter:

Hello to you Datu Dieter, This is George Hoover, I met you last summer in Victoria the day before the professor passed on. I was with Datu Worden. I remember both of you Datus discussing the knives that Datu Kelly had brought with him. You were nearly on your way to the airport.

It was a pleasure meeting you sir!

Pappy Geo

Dieter

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Hello George

nce to hear from you.
It was a pleasure to meet you and hopfully we might see us again sometimes under better circumstances.
(It was at the Professors care center one day before he died).
Take care and say hello to Kelly when you see him.

Datu Dieter Knüttel

OP
R

Rob_Broad

I am sorry to see the political quagmire the Modern Arnis world is in right now, it is very disheartening. Unfortunately I have seen this situation before when Ed Parker passed away. All I can say to everybody his hold your ground and let your conscince be your guide. In the end people that have padded their resumes and out and out lied about their qualifaications, or have said that hey were told they would be the successor; will get theirs in the end.

I hope the things clear up for you guys quickly. Hang in there.

Latest Discussions