MMA question..............!!!

allenjp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Who is to say that the fighters do not have a spiritual or knowledge of oneself? Again I don't understand brutality as in issue seeing as other sports are more brutal I mean you can get paralyzed in Football.

Like all levels of competition it is mostly mental.

There are FAR more injuries of ALL kinds in football and even Baseball than in MMA. And don't even get me started on boxing...now THOSE are some brutal sports.

allenjp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
A couple of quick things.

Fighting off the ground is extremely difficult if you have not trained in it. I've been doing BJJ for about 2 months now and find that such a small amount of knowledge is enough for me to dominate someone who knows nothing.

I have found the same thing. Even just some basic knowledge of which positions give you the advantage is huge.

Then just imagine what it would be like if a BJJ black belt had mounted you.

HAhahaha! Yeah, good luck with THAT!

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
I may think a little differently as far as the second part of your answer. Kembo Slice is a good example of what you are saying can't happen. :asian:

Kimbo's the first thing that came to mind when I read your post, but even he didn't just walk in off the street; he's been training with Bas Rutten. There's an obvious difference between his professional matches and his street videos. The first match I watched I thought, "Hey, Kimbo's learning jiujitsu!"

I have relatives who believed that MMA was "human cockfighting", that the fighters were just a bunch of dumb thugs. I explained to them about the different styles, how you can tell the Muay Thai guys by the way they kick low, described what little I know about the different types of guards and locks. They gave it a chance and did they change their minds! Ended up watching fight repeats on Spike all day. ;)

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kimbo's the first thing that came to mind when I read your post, but even he didn't just walk in off the street; he's been training with Bas Rutten. There's an obvious difference between his professional matches and his street videos. The first match I watched I thought, "Hey, Kimbo's learning jiujitsu!"

I have relatives who believed that MMA was "human cockfighting", that the fighters were just a bunch of dumb thugs. I explained to them about the different styles, how you can tell the Muay Thai guys by the way they kick low, described what little I know about the different types of guards and locks. They gave it a chance and did they change their minds! Ended up watching fight repeats on Spike all day. ;)

Hallelujah! We'll convert the world one fight at a time lol!

allenjp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Kimbo's the first thing that came to mind when I read your post, but even he didn't just walk in off the street; he's been training with Bas Rutten. There's an obvious difference between his professional matches and his street videos. ;)

You know what the other thing about Kimbo is, he had a pretty good fighting style to begin with. If you watch his street fight videos, he always keeps a low base, with good balance, keeps his hands up, and throws quick, straight punches, with his weight behind them. Some people have to train quite a bit just to get those skills down...

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I may think a little differently as far as the second part of your answer. Kembo Slice is a good example of what you are saying can't happen. :asian:

Kimbos backyard fights were IMO all geared with boxing rules. I didn't see any kicking or ground work in any of those fights. Of course, his boxing skill was good, so watching his backyard brawls, I really didn't see any wild punches. Now, Kimbo trains with Bas, so his MMA game, while still young, isn't bad. My point was simply this....if someone with just punching skill enters the UFC, and fights against someone who is more well rounded, the outcome should be obvious. Take Royce for example. He fought guys with little to no ground game and won all his fights.

TridentOne

White Belt
Reaction score
So who wins in a Kimbo v Lesnar bout? Any heavyweight matchup is 1 punch away from being over. I might give the edge to Kimbo since fights always start standing up and boxing is his prevalent skill.

allenjp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
So who wins in a Kimbo v Lesnar bout? Any heavyweight matchup is 1 punch away from being over. I might give the edge to Kimbo since fights always start standing up and boxing is his prevalent skill.

That would be an interesting match up since they are both relatively new to MMA, and they are both huge musclebound behemoth monsters.

Lesnar is fighting Heath Herring on Saturday, I don't know about you guys but my money is on Herring!

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
LOL... Kimbo vs Brock. What a matchup. Neither is all that skilled. But I'll give the nod to Lesnar, as I believe that in most cases a grappler with limited striking will prevail over a striker with limited grappling. Kimbo doesn't like being on the ground and Brock, despite his lack of submission skills, is a skilled wrestler. The fight would go to the ground where Lesnar's strength and positional wrestling would control the fight. It would be boring, and I expect we'd see a lot of Lay N' Pray, but Lesnar pulls out the decision.

Latest Discussions