MMA levels the playing field

Taiji Rebel

Black Belt
Reaction score
Imagine creating a big competition to see which ballgame was the superior sport 🤔

All the different players of ballgames come together and try to prove which one is the Ultimate BallGame 🏈⚽🏉⚾🏐

Which one is the Ultimate?

Are there rules?

Surely you need rules, otherwise it would be mayhem?

And once you have rules, is it possible to see which ballgame is the best?

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Really seems like apples to oranges.

MMA gives you high percentage techniques that work against a resisting opponent. That doesn't mean that other techniques don't work or that there aren't other systems that are also effective.

I would also agree that the technique selection is based on the MMA environment and rule set (for example, Pride vs. UFC back in the day).

Combat sports are all very similar in their goals, so putting them all in the same arena makes more sense that basketball versus football, completely different goals.

OP
T

Taiji Rebel

Black Belt
Reaction score
Really seems like apples to oranges.

MMA gives you high percentage techniques that work against a resisting opponent. That doesn't mean that other techniques don't work or that there aren't other systems that are also effective.

I would also agree that the technique selection is based on the MMA environment and rule set (for example, Pride vs. UFC back in the day).

Combat sports are all very similar in their goals, so putting them all in the same arena makes more sense that basketball versus football, completely different goals.
Modern Martial Arts (MMA) is a funny one. People ask if a certain style can beat another. Yet once everyone is in the same ballgame, playing by the same rules it becomes a moot point. As soon as one technique dominates, then it is quickly adopted by the others. Eventually, everyone uses similar ideas. Hence the level playing field. Look at any sport and you will the same phenomena. In the beginning a certain country, or style dominates. Then other countries/players learn the techniques and it all becomes the same once again.

Same with sport of Modern Martial Arts (MMA) - the rules and regulations level the playing field :D

Last edited:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Imagine creating a big competition to see which ballgame was the superior sport 🤔

All the different players of ballgames come together and try to prove which one is the Ultimate BallGame 🏈⚽🏉⚾🏐

Which one is the Ultimate?

Are there rules?

Surely you need rules, otherwise it would be mayhem?

And once you have rules, is it possible to see which ballgame is the best?
Whatever it is you train, it's just as good as MMA. If you ever have to fight someone, I'm sure you'll be just fine. Do you feel better now?

OP
T

Taiji Rebel

Black Belt
Reaction score
Whatever it is you train, it's just as good as MMA. If you ever have to fight someone, I'm sure you'll be just fine. Do you feel better now?
There is no good or bad here :D

It was my understanding this forum is a place to discuss ideas related to Martial Arts - is not that correct?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
There is no good or bad here :D

It was my understanding this forum is a place to discuss ideas related to Martial Arts - is not that correct?
Okay. Whatever you train, I'm sure it's... fine.

It's not a question of whether MMA best prepares someone for unarmed combat. The techniques are practical, and the training model reliably and predictably builds individual skill. We all know that.

Do other styles? Maybe? But we often don't even get to whether they do or not. Instead, these threads devolve into arguments in support of "good enough." It's like Harbour Freight tools... guaranteed to function as designed at least zero times.

OP
T

Taiji Rebel

Black Belt
Reaction score
Okay. Whatever you train, I'm sure it's... fine.

It's not a question of whether MMA best prepares someone for unarmed combat. The techniques are practical, and the training model reliably and predictably builds individual skill. We all know that.

Do other styles? Maybe? But we often don't even get to whether they do or not. Instead, these threads devolve into arguments in support of "good enough." It's like Harbour Freight tools... guaranteed to function as designed at least zero times.
Not sure I catch your drift here :confused:

Just saying if your sport is MMA then it will end up with most folk using the same basic techniques and skills.

As for preparation for unarmed combat - does any martial art really prepare you for such an event?

MetalBoar

Black Belt
Reaction score
The interesting thing is that boxing still has the best fighters, by some definition. Conor McGregor made substantially more than 20x his usual take in MMA by fighting (and losing) to Mayweather by doing a boxing match, and it looks like the average title match for a boxer pays >10x what an average MMA title match pays. Obviously, if those MMA guys could fight at that level they'd be boxing, but since they can't fight that well they have to find a less profitable venue for their skills.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not sure I catch your drift here :confused:

Just saying if your sport is MMA then it will end up with most folk using the same basic techniques and skills.

As for preparation for unarmed combat - does any martial art really prepare you for such an event?
They have common foundational skills.

So for punching, kicking, clinching, takedowns and ground fighting we have found there are high percentage solutions to those problems because in the sport of MMA.

And within that there are personal development abilities that are more successful in fights, fitness, strength, timing, toughness. That are developed by training for the sport of MMA.

And so to follow the path of most efficient and least risky. A person would need to do MMA

Then once a person has some real grounding on the basic mechanics of fighting. Then they can use those skills to add a depth of knowledge to whatever system they are trying to master.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So if you want to be ninja Mcgee. And do your own thing in MMA you can. If you want to be Rokus and try to wrist lock a pro fighter you can.

But there is no rule that says he has to put up with it and can beat your head like a drum using higher percentage techniques.

Then it is your choice to either use the better system to stay competitive or get better at your system to develop depth.

Latest Discussions