Minimum Standards for Taekwondo

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not a master but feel there should be minimum standards to pass a black belt test.

Some categories would be:

1) Flexibility - I think everybody can gain this, if worked on. The ability to kick to head level at least is important in TKD.

2) Upper body strength - regular pushups minimum 50? or 100? I got up to 400 in sets before failure at age 53 though.

3) Forms, of course, Taeguek, Traditional Chonji etc., Palgwe, ?
demonstrate good stances, blocks, high kicks held, balance, memory (enough practice)

4) Endurance - be able to run for 30 min.-10min. mile. = 3 miles

5) Kicks - I have listed 45 techniques kicking, these I had to know testing for 2nd so lst would be less maybe.

6) Slow motion kicks - (to a count of 7 hold at count 3-5 down at 7) front, round, side, spin side, spin heel ( high-head level except spin side)

7) Sparring we do 1-1, 1-2, 1-3 opponents. 5 min. matches. Looking for?

8) Breaking? Colored belts: step side, hopping side, spin side, spin heel, step hook, jump round, jump back, spin heel with 1 hand hold

Rec. Black - spin heel with 2 finger hold, 360 jump back, knife while holding board (speed break), palm strike 3 bds.

1st Black - knife boards or palm strike concrete, guys-punch, flying side-3 bds, sweep or football kick.

Just a note to breaking: our school also does not have a time limit on these breaks so frequently it spills over into the weeks and possibly months following tests.

9) Personal/moral standards - our school used to ask questions at the end of every test, now we do papers on integrity, courtesy, etc. and questions. How about community service as well?

10) Attendance - this is a personal bug of mine. Minimum time in belt.
Minimim amount of hours spent in class. Some people come late and leave early as much as a half hour only in class a week. I think there should be an attendance record. 2 times a week minimum x 12 weeks for white belt = 24 hours. Red - Black belt = 5 times a week. Too many people in my school are testing with very little time spent and its obvious.

11) Self-Defense- we have 30 attacks and defenses. (but we have learned others we are not tested on)

12) One-Steps-- Our school stopped these. ??

13) What have I missed? Add here...

Not that we are going to change Taekwondo universally. I just would like to know what everybody thinks should be the standards.

Then there is the physically handicapped factor, and the age factor, but aside from that...

Please, just Taekwondo people input on this. Thanks, TW

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
This could be a really interesting thread.

I use the Kukkiwon's standards for black belt promotion. These are minimum standards upon which I expand.

I don't have requirements for #s of push-ups/sit-ups/miles run/community service/flexibility. My personal idea of a black belt is that it is a landmark achievement along the journey but not the final goal. Therefore, I look at how far someone has progressed in their journey-it is different for an 18yr old athlete than a 60 yr old factory worker.

I do have minimum attendance policies-if the student (at any rank) does not have the necessary time in grade and classes attended, they do not test.

My black belt tests are typically done 2x/yr. I had a young man test for his 1st poom last week. I don't let anyone test for poom unless they have a B average in school. They also must have participated in at least 2 tournaments.

This young man's test was pretty standard-He performed all basic techniques (Kibon). He demonstrated our footwork drills (chun-jin/who-jin, ilbo-chun-jin, ilbo who-jin, cut step). He did Hoshinsul against wrist grabs/lapel grabs, hair grap, over-arm bear hug, etc. He performed the 5 Chung Do Kwan Kibon poomsae along with entire Taeguek poomsae series. He sparred 4 rounds of 2 minutes against fresh opponents and then 2 rounds of 2 minutes against 2 opponents. Kyukpa-he broke boards with front/round/side/ax kicks (I don't have anyone under 18 perform breaking with their hands). He answered questions concerning history/philosophy/personal goals.

My bottom line for black belt is stated at each and every black belt test: This person is a representative of the art, the school, and me.

Miles

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TW here is my input on some of this:
1st Physical Fitness: Push-ups-mountain climbers-calf raises-jump in jacks- squarts-squarts thrush- high knees- running- being able to throw atleast 150 kicks in 1 minute set of three each leg. Break for 15 minutes
2.start off by demistrating your on ability to propably throw each kick, slow-medium-and hard. then move to your hand work jab,straight punch-low -mid-high. Ridge hand .spear.knife. back hand. 15 minute break
3. One-steps we teach 15 and you must show atleast 20 more variation of those one-steps. lunch 1 hr.
4. Poomse-Tae Gueks 1-8 Koryo-Kumkang so-on. also Chongi for we teach them.
5. Self defense sets of the ones you know
6.Sparring 1 on 1 five sets.2 on 1 five sets, 3 on 1 three sets and last but not least 1 on with the Master choice, which is always the biggest for you are tired and to see what you have left.
6. 10 page thesis on why you are in TKD and what you want from your next rank.
7 Breaking atleast five different variation of your strengths in this field( one should not fail if you can't make one of your breaks) its there for demostration only.
Last thing of the night Bow out and wait for my reply.

OP
TigerWoman

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
I forgot to say that before we start BB test, we do 200 rising kicks..

Also, 12 tournaments are required for Rec. BB

I recently saw seven would-be BB's test. Except for the women they all had major flexibility issues. No front kicks over belt level. One man couldn't do a crescent kick to belt level. 2 teens, 3 men, 2 women. Neither had I seen any of them actually work on flexibility. We do little stretching, so I had a stretching class. Out of about 200 students, five show up with 3 times available. I was not flexible starting TKD at 47. My legs slid out from underneath me trying to do 15 split pushups barely. Flexiblity/stretching, I think should have a important role in regular training. At 55, I am in near splits, front and side. I have not done this diligently either but made an effort if I could remember after class or had time. If a person does not have a bad back,hips, or a bone structure that prohibits splits etc., I really think it should be a requirement to work on flexibility. And yes, women seem to work on this more and have more progress. TW

C

Crash02

Miles said:
This could be a really interesting thread.

I use the Kukkiwon's standards for black belt promotion. These are minimum standards upon which I expand.

Miles
I was wondering, since this is a minimum standards thread, could you post Kukkiwon's standards for black belt promotion.

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Like I've said before, our BB tests were more of a formality than anything else. You werent asked to grade unless you had already demonstrated the skill, stamina, strength and determination required. The test itself was really just a ceremony.

You had to demonstrate decent strength - 80 push ups on the knuckles, at least 200 sit ups.

Skill level - competent techniques, all strikes, grapples, takedowns and throws, self defense techniques, etc.

Stamina - No running (too much hassle) but a solid six hour workout

Sparring - Over an hour of solid sparring with fresh rotating partners. Usually you had to spar all of the dan black belts, and all of the brown (red) belts with only a very short drink break every few rounds. Then you spar the other people testing with you, then you spar everyone else again. This is usually the hardest part of the test.

We never really concentrated on breaking, because frankly its a useless skill. We still did it, because it looks cool and it impresses the families and the white belts, but if someone didnt want to do it, or couldnt do it, there was no penalty

Mithios

Green Belt
Reaction score
Interesting! I do classical T.K.D., We have 163 individual techniques before black. 90 hand/73 kicks, 9 forms, 90 self defense combo's( joint lock's throws, 1 steps, 2 steps, etc.) Also sparring, weapon's defense, breaking etc. Average time to black is around 5 year's. Cool to see what everyone else is doing. Mithios

OP
TigerWoman

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Adept, are you Taekwondo or MMA? No offense, but I just was interested in strictly Taekwondo discipline standards. We always have forms.... TW

OP
TigerWoman

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mithios said:
Interesting! I do classical T.K.D., We have 163 individual techniques before black. 90 hand/73 kicks, 9 forms, 90 self defense combo's( joint lock's throws, 1 steps, 2 steps, etc.) Also sparring, weapon's defense, breaking etc. Average time to black is around 5 year's. Cool to see what everyone else is doing. Mithios

This is cool to see! Do you test on all 163 techniques during a test or do you just have different lists on some? Would take some time. Classical TKD, is that Chonji, ITF style? or Palgwes? or ? TW

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Crash02 said:
I was wondering, since this is a minimum standards thread, could you post Kukkiwon's standards for black belt promotion.
Crash02, per your request are Kukkiwon's applicable Regulation for Promotion Tests (Articles 7, 8 (re: age/time in grade); 10 (Content of Test) & 11 (Poomsae required)):

Article 7 : Test Performance
pixel.gif
1) Each test will consist of practical testing and theoretical study and it will be carried out in the following ways:
(1) Practical testing only will be applied to the applicants for under 5th Dan grades, however, if necessary, theoretical study will be required in the 4th and 5th Dan promotion test.
(2) Over 6th Dan promotion testing shall conduct the practical and theoretical test. However, for a applicants staying abroad, practical test shall be conducted and recommended by the instructor who is recognized by the Kukkiwon or Member National Association. However one should submit a treatise not less than 10 pages of A4 size (21cm X 30cm) papers in Korean, English, French, German or Spanish together with the application forms. Subject will be determined separately.

2) Promotion test for under 5th Dan may be entrusted to the city or province Taekwondo Association. However, the Member National Federation will exclusively manage and perform the tests for higher Dan grades (6th Dan and higher). If considered necessary, however, the execution of tests may be adjustable.

3) Applicants worldwide for 8th and 9th Dan promotion should take physical performance test at the Kukkiwon. The test is conducted in every quarter of the year. Test of applicants from outside Korea for 7th or lower Dan can be conducted under the joint inspection of the local higher Dan holder and the member of the test committee dispatched by the Kukkiwon to the country or the region concerned.

4) In principle, promotion tests should be considered one time a month, if considered necessary, however, the execution of tests may be adjustable.

5) For the safety of the applicant, the chief of the test commission shall take the following measures;
a. A doctor or a person qualified in first aid shall be present according to the scale of the test.
b. Relevant instruction for safety shall be made to the applicants and test commission
prior to the examination.

6) Kukkiwon and the organizing committee of Dan promotion test don't have any responsibility to the law in criminal or civil affairs in case of any applicant's injuries or death in the course of Dan promotion test.

pixel.gif
Article 8 : Time & Age Limits for Poom or Dan Promotion
pixel.gif
1) Time and Age Limits

Poom/Dan Minimum Time
Required for Promotion Age Limits for Promotion Start from DanStart from Poom 1st PoomN AN A Less than 15 Years Old; 1st to 2nd Pom1 yearN A Less than 15 Years Old;2nd to 3rd Poom 2 years N ALess than 15 Years Old; 3rd to 4th Poom 3 years N ALess than 18 Years Old;
1st DanN A 15 years and above N A;
1st to 2nd Dan1 year 16 years and above 15 years and above;
2nd to 3rd Dan2 years18 years and above15 years and above;
3rd to 4th Dan 3 years21 years and above18 years and above;
4th to 5th Dan 4 years 25 years and above;
5th to 6th Dan 5 years 30 years and above;
6th to 7th Dan 6 years 36 years and above;
7th to 8th Dan 8 years 44 years and above;
8th to 9th Dan 9 years 53 years and above;
9th to 10th DanN A 60 years and above
* Remarks:
(1) All applicants should have passed the minimum time and age required for promotion.
(2) One who started from Poom may have the privilege of test application with shortened time limits until 5th Dan promotion.

2) 1st,2nd,3rd Poom holder, being 15 years of age or above, is the same grade of Dan holder.
(4th Poom holder, being 18 years of age or above, is the same as 4th Dan holder)
*1st, 2nd, 3rd Poom holder, being 15 years of age or above, can have the Dan Certificates when they want to change their Poom certificates. (4th Poom holder, being 18 years of age or above, can change the 4th Dan certificate)

3) When 1st, 2nd, 3rd Poom holder, being 15 years of age or above, want to be promoted to the next higher Dan, he or she can be applied Dan promotion test. However, 3rd Poom holder who is 18 years of age and above can be applied 4th Dan and under 18 years of age can be applied 4th Poom.

Article 10 : Subjects of Promotion Test
pixel.gif
1) Test of Techniques
(1) Poomsae (Forms)
(2) Kyorugi (Sparring)
(3) Kyukpa (Breaking)
(4) Special technique

2) Test of theoretical study (over 4th Dan applicant)
(1) Written examination
(2) Thesis

Article 11 : Specified Subjects of Practical Techniques Applied to the
Poom and Dan Promotion Test
pixel.gif
Poom/DanAppointedCompulsory
1st Dan (Poom) Taegeuk 1st - 7th Jang 1 appointedTaegeuk 8;
2nd Dan (Poom) Taegeuk 1st - 8th Jang 1 appointed Koryo;
3rd Dan(Poom) Taegeuk 1st - 8th Jang , Koryo 1 appointedKeumkang;
4th Dan(Poom) Taegeuk 1st - 8th Jang , Koryo, Keumkang 1 appointedTaebaek;
5th Dan Taegeuk 1st - 8th Jang , Koryo, Keumkang, Taebaek 1 appointedPyongwon;
6th Dan Taebaek, Pyongwon, Sipjin 1 appointedJitae;
7th Dan Pyongwon, Sipjin, Jitae 1 appointedCheonkwon;
8th Dan Sipjin, Jitae, Cheonkwon 1 appointedHansoo;
9th Dan Jitae, Cheonkwon, Hansoo 1 appointedIllyo;
10th Dan Decided by the Judgement of Technical Council
pixel.gif

(sorry, the grids from the Kukkiwon's website did not come thru so I had to edit-any errors are mine).

Miles

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not much other to chime in here other than the fact that I don't like required tournaments. I feel that competition is an aspect of taekwondo that can be explored individually and not required.

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
Adept, are you Taekwondo or MMA? No offense, but I just was interested in strictly Taekwondo discipline standards. We always have forms.... TW
TKD for eight years. Sorry, I forgot to mention the patterns. We also run through every pattern (from Chon Ji to Chung Mu) many, many times. I call myself MMA because I refuse to limit myself to a single style. I incorporate anything that works into my personal training regime, but I was responding as a TKD student.

C

Crash02

Miles said:
Crash02, per your request are Kukkiwon's applicable Regulation for Promotion Tests (Articles 7, 8 (re: age/time in grade); 10 (Content of Test) & 11 (Poomsae required)):

Article 10 : Subjects of Promotion Test
pixel.gif
1) Test of Techniques
(1) Poomsae (Forms)
(2) Kyorugi (Sparring)
(3) Kyukpa (Breaking)
(4) Special technique Miles
Thank you Miles for the info! So if I take out all the age requirements and what not and everything from 2nd dan/poom on up. Is what i'm seeing that requirements for 1st dan in Kukkiwons minimum is:

Forms, sparring, breaking, and special techniques(not sure what this entitles)

Am I correct in what I am reading.

OP
TigerWoman

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
bignick said:
Not much other to chime in here other than the fact that I don't like required tournaments. I feel that competition is an aspect of taekwondo that can be explored individually and not required.

I think this is done so that as a white-orange belt, they start entering tournaments. Its alot easier as a white belt (innocent) to compete with white belt form, key bong hyung for us-all long stances, than it is as a blue-red belt when something is really expected of you. Still, I see the white belts, timid or unsure of themselves, hang back and watch. Little do they know that they could have won. I saw a white belt win grand champion colored belts once.

Later as blue-red, its easy to say its too much pressure, and not want to put yourself through it. Having to go, forces the student to face fears and overcome them and realize their capability. It gives great practice under pressure of course but I think it is part of the empowerment and gaining confidence in what you are doing. You as a student also get to see how you stack up against students in other organizations.

We have to do three tournaments a year in order to get them all in, in four years. Actually, I did 4-5 tournaments a year. Also, you see other types of breaking and you get stimulated to try it. I never tested on axe, ridgehand, head butt, jump front, elbow strike but did them in tournaments. I also practiced and tried out my would be breaks for testing at tournaments (devil may care attitude) thinking if I could do it then, then testing for sure. I had done so many knife hands for tournaments, doing it for black belt test was really no big deal. Every tournament I would try to up the amount of boards or the technique. It challenges you. From tournaments, I think, I got to really love breaking. TW

Mithios

Green Belt
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
This is cool to see! Do you test on all 163 techniques during a test or do you just have different lists on some? Would take some time. Classical TKD, is that Chonji, ITF style? or Palgwes? or ? TW
Yes, All 163 techniques are tested on the Black Belt test. All techniques are tested at every rank. So the basics won't fall by the way side. We do the Chang-Hun forms(chon-ji, dan-gun, do-san, etc.) black belt test's are long!! Mithios

Shu2jack

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Requirements to test for BB?

1.) 500 word essay on why you want to earn the rank.

2.) All forms and one-steps.

3.) Minimum of 3- two minute rounds of sparring, one of which must be against a higher rank.

4.) Basic movements for either the stick or nunchuck.

5.) Board breaking. 1 minute to set up all stations, and must break the board immediately (no longer than what it take to take one normal breath) once you come up to a breaking station.

Out of curosity, do you guys think testing people on flexiblity, strength, and endurance is important? I absolutly think that one should always strive to improve they attributes, but is posting a minimum standard the right way to go about it?

People out bench press me, but I can out push-up them. I can't do more than 45 regular sit-ups without back pain, but I can work the sit-up the machine very well. While I can kick head level, I don't think it is THAT important. In the last 7 tournaments I have attended I have placed in 5 of them for sparring. I probably only had about 4 or 5 scoring head kicks and at least 20 scoring body shots with mostly punches and a few kicks. You wouldn't kick to the head on the street for self-defense either. Most street fights or self-defense situations last under 30 seconds, so why does one need to be able to run for 30 minutes?

If you impose a 80 push-up minimum, what happens to the 60 year old women? What about the teenage boys who develop physically at different ranks? I didn't really start to really fill out physically until I was 19. Would it be fair to other students to constantly change the standards because of different abilities of different people? In an art that is supposed to be available for everyone and so everyone could do it, would it be wiser to have them test their physical abilities while at white belt and expect an improvement before they test for each rank instead?

I am not picking on anyone or any school/system. I am just trying to open up a discussion on testing requirments.

Not that we are going to change Taekwondo universally. I just would like to know what everybody thinks should be the standards.
So like I said, I am curious to what you guys think and aside from what we think the standards should be, I think it would be nice to know why.

OP
TigerWoman

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think there should be a minimum fitness level, that's why the 30 min. run. It isn't all that difficult for someone who has lost excess weight, stopped smoking, and has no major medical problems. I think you always have to take into consideration age, either young or old and medical problems like asthma which can't be controlled. But weight and smoking can. I see men who can't last 5 minutes of heavy sparring because of smoking. Running develops breathing, cardiovascular health-open arteries, exercised heart and lungs and endurance. Unless you have regular heavy cardiovascular sessions 2-3 times a week, if not running, how fit can you be?

As far as flexibility, in our school it is a major component of Taekwondo. Its really hard to get past green belt because the break required is spin heel to head level.and not as a wheel kick, as a snap. When the forms cannot be executed correctly, for example, a crescent to the knee instead of head level, how is that black belt going to show that teaching? Flexibility can also be worked on. Our forms require alot of flexibility. Plus we have to do slow motion kicks head level - front and spin heel being the hardest.

Actually, my master doesn't test on flexibility, cardiovascular. But some guys just get winded during the sparring matches and drop their heads for oxygen. We do get tested on regular pushups - 50 for black belts, less for colored belts at the end of test. Then on the other hand, women are usually better at flexibility, but have trouble with power breaks, knife hand-concrete, jumping needed for most of our breaks. Most of the women 30 and over can't clear more than a few inches where guys have a least a foot or more vertical clearance. All the women I know, have shoulder, hip and knee, ankle problems. But to make it a test for woman to break a board but not make it a test for a man to do something just as difficult relatively says what? A man can work on flexibility and cardiovascular just as much as a woman can work on jumping.

Btw, Shu2jack, regular situps are bad for your back. You shouldn't do them. Why don't you do crunches?

As we age, we all have problems and some like asthma and knees are just not going to get better. But I think some standards should be made to address what we can get better at, otherwise they never are worked on. The black belt test, is a goal to become motivated to become our best but it is also a standard of what a black belt should be. There still has to be considerations by the test-giver about limitations at the black belt test. But for everything that could be improved there is also each belt test getting up to that test. So pushups could be in increments, running in increments. I know for sure I would have never had passed my knife/concrete unless I had done alot of pushups, totalgym and alot of practice on that black board in the year prior. It wasn't fun. But from that my punches are a heck of alot more stronger. What's that saying, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger? TW

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Our minimum standards for 1st Dan testing:

1. Must perform Palgue Chil and Pal

2. Must free fight three consecutive opponents, showing controlled contact. You MUST be able to contact each person with at least one technique, show decent steps (footwork), and demonstrate proper technique.

3. Breaking. Each break must show good form and technique.

4. Submit a three page paper about your thoughts on Tae Kwon Do

Judging criteria:

1. Judges must all be 4th Dan and above
2. Judges will all wear professional business attire.
3. You cannot judge your own students.

Now having said that, it is next to impossible to say what minimum standards should be. Each organization has its own. I don't believe in minimum fitness standards. You either can perform what is required of you or you cannot. To penalize someone because they cannot do 100 pushups is absurd. I'm not sure I could, and I'm in decent shape. I think all you can really do is establish minimum testing criteria (time between testings, age of testers, rank of judges etc.) and leave the rest up to the Head Instructor. Even within our organization, testing requirements can vary between Instructors.

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Shu2jack said:
If you impose a 80 push-up minimum, what happens to the 60 year old women? What about the teenage boys who develop physically at different ranks?
Being fit and strong is as important as having good technique. Why should a 60 year old woman be given a black belt if she cannot perform her patterns? Why give her a black belt if she cannot do the push ups? Why bend the standards for someone just because they have a harder time with it. The very reason we have standards is to cull the weaker people from the group. If they cannot make the grade, they have no purpose being a black belt.

Shu2jack

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Being fit and strong is as important as having good technique. Why should a 60 year old woman be given a black belt if she cannot perform her patterns? Why give her a black belt if she cannot do the push ups? Why bend the standards for someone just because they have a harder time with it. The very reason we have standards is to cull the weaker people from the group. If they cannot make the grade, they have no purpose being a black belt.
While I have no issue with setting standards, I believe the standards should be set to reflect the goals of the institution. I have no problem with the idea of "culling" the weaker people from the group. If you are looking for canadates for special forces. If you are holding a competition and trying to take the top prize. If your goal is the create the top fighters in the world.

I have always thought of traditional TKD as an activitiy meant to improve a person- physically and mentally. I never found it to be about eliminating the weak, but making the "weaK" stronger and giving them tools they need to survive in both life and self-defense. I never said lower the standards because it would be harder for some people. I advocate realistic expectations for people. I can realistically expect the average 60 year old woman of sound mind to perform all of her forms. I can not expect the average 60 year old woman of sound body to give me 80 push ups.

Latest Discussions