Might try this next time I do chi sau.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
A bit of a variation on the old table top chi sau.
The man on the edge of the stage is Sifu Kevin Earle of New Zealand , he actually taught one of my old instructors another Kiwi who had a very big influence on my training.

Not many people around that would be able to hold their ground against a big fella like that I'd wager.

TableTop ChiSau - YouTube

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nice! He certainly doesn't have his weight back on his heels! ;-) I've had some good discussions with Kevin way back in the days of the Wing Chun Mailing list days and then on the KFO Wing Chun forum back when it was actually still a good place.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
To be able to hold your ground and not moving back is valuable training. If your opponent runs toward you from 20 feet away, he already builds up his momentum, to be able to hold your ground may be harder to do.

To be able to

- hold on your ground,
- move yourself out of your opponent's moving path,

are both important IMO.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
To be able to hold your ground and not moving back is valuable training. If your opponent runs toward you from 20 feet away, he already builds up his momentum, to be able to hold your ground may be harder to do.

To be able to

- hold on your ground,
- move yourself out of your opponent's moving path,

are both important IMO.

So true. If your opponent gives you excessive forward force, turning and slipping aside like a bullfighter is the best way to go. In this case it would have pitched the big guy right off the stage. A little "arm drag" action never hurts either.

Kwan Sau

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Reminds me of training atop the Mui Fa jong.
Great training IMO. Plus, it only takes one fall / impact from that dang thing to really force you to pay attention!!! Haha

A bit of a variation on the old table top chi sau.
The man on the edge of the stage is Sifu Kevin Earle of New Zealand , he actually taught one of my old instructors another Kiwi who had a very big influence on my training.

Not many people around that would be able to hold their ground against a big fella like that I'd wager.

TableTop ChiSau - YouTube

Latest Discussions