Middle knuckle punch

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How many of you practice punching with the middle knucke of the middle figer> sometimes calld a Phinox eye<
If you do use this how have you conditioned your hand for the punch

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We've called that an eagles beak in my old kenpo school. I've used it for nerve strikes often. The best way to condition it that I've found is to use a focus pad to get used to punching with your hand in that position and then move on to a heavy bag to toughen that part of your hand.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by tshadowchaser
How many of you practice punching with the middle knucke of the middle figer> sometimes calld a Phinox eye<

Isn't Phoenix eye the middle knuckle of the index finger?

Chronuss

Senior Master
Reaction score
as Letch said, the middle knuckle punch is a great strike for nerve clusters. brachial plexus, wrist and radial nerve, ulna, mastoid and the like. I've especially found it effective to the solar plex. I use my thumb to "brace" behind the middle finger, just as in a regular fist, to help absorb impact.

OP
tshadowchaser

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
could be i may have been mistaken different styles different names I have also heard it called dragoon head punch so I am not sure which name it really has

B

bob919

Originally posted by Chronuss
as Letch said, the middle knuckle punch is a great strike for nerve clusters. brachial plexus, wrist and radial nerve, ulna, mastoid and the like. I've especially found it effective to the solar plex. I use my thumb to "brace" behind the middle finger, just as in a regular fist, to help absorb impact.

i used to use it for the solarpleaxus and the mastoid as well as the carotid sinus but now i've gotten a spear hand tough enough not to collap[se when striking the solar plexus so i used that

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by arnisador

As far as I know, yes. It is extending the middle knuckle of the index finger out further than the fist and using it for the strike.
I'm not sure exactly how one would punch with the middle knuckle?? How do you hold your fist? Is it produced by curviture in the wrist?

7sm

T

TonyM.

A backhand with the middle knuckle is called a snakeshead in Ha Say Fu Hung Ga.

OP
tshadowchaser

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have seen the fist made by makeing a normal fist then extending the middle finger knuckle and supporting it with the thumb (sometimes not supported also) is this what seems to be the norm?
I know that the wrist can be bent forward or back as well as stright depending on what type of strike you ae doing ( rake, punch, back fist. etc.)

B

bob919

its not a pucnh you put all your body into unless you've practised a;lot on the wall bag

OP
tshadowchaser

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hitting any bag for the first time with it results in a sore knuckle the next day if your not careful.
Have you noticed how a child is much more suited to getting that knuckle into the right spot than an adult. They seem to be able to hit those cavities verry easily

Latest Discussions