Microsoft punishes customers who modify their machines

R

raedyn

Microsoft appears to be using its smash "Halo 2" game as a vehicle to crack down on mod chips and other hacks of its Xbox video game console. full story
Hundreds of Xbox owners that have modified their consoles (added bigger hard drives, mod chips so they can read burned disks, etc) have reported in the days since the release of Halo 2 that they can no longer access the XBox Live service (which enables users to play interactively with other players from virtually anywhere with highspeed internet access) - even though they could previous to the release of this game.

The Xbox Live user agreement does state "Xbox Live may only be accessed with an unmodified, except for Microsoft-authorized repairs and upgrades, Xbox video game console. Any attempt to disassemble, decompile, create derivative works of, reverse engineer, modify, further sublicense, distribute or use for other purposes either the hardware or software of this system, is strictly prohibited and may result in termination of your account and/or your ability to access Xbox Live."

This shouldn't surprise anyone coming out of Microsoft, but is it reasonable? These are all paying customers who bought their console, bought at least a few games, and are paying subscribers to the Xbox Live service. So far (but it's likely only a matter of time) modders haven't found any way to get back onto the service short of buying a whole new console - which some of them are doing. Is this a money-grab? It's certainly mean. But will it be enough to drive away loyal fans of the system and the company's games?

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
raedyn said:
The Xbox Live user agreement does state "Xbox Live may only be accessed with an unmodified, except for Microsoft-authorized repairs and upgrades, Xbox video game console. Any attempt to disassemble, decompile, create derivative works of, reverse engineer, modify, further sublicense, distribute or use for other purposes either the hardware or software of this system, is strictly prohibited and may result in termination of your account and/or your ability to access Xbox Live."

This shouldn't surprise anyone coming out of Microsoft, but is it reasonable? These are all paying customers who bought their console, bought at least a few games, and are paying subscribers to the Xbox Live service. So far (but it's likely only a matter of time) modders haven't found any way to get back onto the service short of buying a whole new console - which some of them are doing. Is this a money-grab? It's certainly mean. But will it be enough to drive away loyal fans of the system and the company's games?
It seems to me that Microsoft covered their butts pretty well with the user agreement, so no debate on legality from me.

Is it reasonable? I think so. People are modifying their boxes to be able to play burned games, as well as games for other consoles. I think that it's fair for Microsoft to disallow users who have attempted to circumvent the licensing process from accessing the online services, in order to attempt to discourage the behaviour. For in the end, it is Microsoft who loses the X-Box Live revenue for doing so, and should they choose this option it is they who suffer, in a monetary sense.

Something else to consider, which I cannot speak intelligently on, is the potential for a modified box to cause errors in the network or server software or whatever. I don't know if that's a possibility or not, but it may have been a consideration......

OP
R

raedyn

I certainly don't question the legality of what Microsoft has done. But I'm sure it's no co-incidence that they suddenly are more agressively enforcing this user agreement on the eve of the hugest game release to date. It's not illegal or immoral, but it certainly is NASTY.

OP
R

rmcrobertson

It's capitalism, Jake. Why the surprise?

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would venture to guess that if you have a chip with an "On/off" switch mounted on the outside like an Xbit, you can still use Xbox Live.

While I can certainly see the point that modding your box for the purpose of Pirating games is bad, I would like to point out that there are legitimate uses for a chip as well... things I dont think MS considered with their EULA, in their paranoia to prevent piracy.

Something Larger than an 8 gig HD for starters. Hardcore gamers and large families with many saves, user profiles etc.. could use the extra space, which brings us to my next point, backing up savegame files on your pc and sharing them with friends. Its ok to share savegames with Friends, Xbox uses that as the selling feature of their memory cards, however the cards are not large enough for many new releases saves, like Knights of the Old Republic. Also, for games like JetSetRadio, being able to create custom graffitti in a program like photoshop is much easier than the built in editor you need to controll with the Xbox controller, so being able to create those files on your PC and move them to the Xbox is a plus... which then brings me to my next point...

Skinning!

One of the cool things you can do on a PC, and is even encouraged by most of the game manufactureres, is Skinning. Skinning is creating custom overlays for 3d models, such as custom paint jobs for cars, putting your bosses face on the bad guy you wanna shoot in doom, or making new costumes for your favorite fighting game char... Without a mod chip in your x-box this passtime is limited to PC gamers, but it is fun an Viable on Xbox as well... not to mention the gaming geeks who like to change their "walpaper" and have custom load screens and menus.

Now, none of that excuses breaking the EULA, but in and of themselves, none of those things are harmful, illegal, or violate anyone's copywrite... The chip is just a chip, its what you do with it that should make it more or less legal...

I mean, DVD burners CAN be used to Pirate DVDs, but they are legal, and no one bans you from Blockbuster for owning one...

OP
P

pakua

I often try to picture what the world would have been like if back in the early 80s Gary whatsisname from Digital Research hadn't missed the meeting at IBM which allowed the fledgling Microsoft to do their OS and so hit the big time.

Maybe we'd be having the same discussion with DR in place of MS? :idunno:

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Since they laid out the ground rules in the user agreement, I dont see what the problem is. It's their product and their system, and they warned you that if you screwed with their stuff they wouldn't let you play on Live any more. It seems petty to be crying about being kicked off after they warned you about it.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ya true... but then considering I don't play X-box Live I'm not affected by it one way or another. My roomie has got me liking the original HALO alot from us playing head to head. Going on line and playing against others doesn't bark up my tree.
They got the right because they're solely in the business of making money... lots of it (what "for profit" business' bottom line isn't?).
Since the game sells well enough on it's inital release date and weeks afterwards the company has made it's profit for the game. Subsquent sales afterwards often times trickles. At $50-60 bucks a pop then down to 40 to 30 and eventually to the $9.00 rack; they've made their money and then some.
I say don't get greedy ... how much money is gonna be enough Mr. Gates?

OP
T

TonyM.

Sounds like the controversy between Hammond organs and Leslie speakers. As long as companies keep making products that don't do what the customer wants, people will modify them.