Michaeledward...

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
I went out to the river this past weekend.... H2O was about 40 degrees. A bit too cold for trout.

But, I was posting some photos of my other toys on the Weapon thread. I thought I would post this toy here. Actually, this may be my retirement plan.

This is the 150th Anniversary bamboo fly rod from Orvis. They made 49 of these 'Wes Jordan Era' rods last year. Somehow, #1 out of this limited production ended up on Ebay a couple of months back. Sometimes, I have more money than brains.

I will NOT go bushwhacking in some of the backwood rivers I fish with this rod. But I do plan to fish this rod in the local Trout Only ponds.

WOW! Very nice. Thanks for making me drool all over my new keyboard. :)

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So, I finally got out on the water today. And all my favorite rivers produced nothing. I was really amazed. I know these two rivers quite well, and can usually produce acceptable results from either. But, today, starting at dawn (5:34 AM) through noon-time, I got skunked.

So, I made my over to one of the Fly-Fishing Only trout ponds. Just so I could catch a fish. (These ponds are heavily stocked, have limited harvest rules, and because most fly fishers are catch and release they have the highest catch rates in the state).

My first trout of the season was a little 8" brookie on a mini-deceiver (this is a deceiver pattern I tied for fresh water). I managed to catch another little brookie on a dry fly. And then this one. A parachute adams. Normally, I don't keep the trout for the table, but this fish is my dinner this evening.

I did not use that fancy bamboo rod today, but this was caught on an Orvis T-3 5wt I own.

Oh, yeah, one more thing, I visited the Orvis flagship store, in Manchester Vermont, on Friday. It's very neat. Everything you see in their catalogs; plus a Rod Factory, Outlet Center and Tent sale. It is kind of in the middle of nowhere, but, if you get lost in Southwest Vermont, it's worth a visit, I think.

Attachments

• $100_0542.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 97

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hey John,

I'll be in Madison, Wisconsin later this month on business. While I will have to work through the day, I may get an evening or two to throw a fly at some water. Do you know of any water in that area? I'll be combing through the Wisconsin DNR web site for any trout waters. But, if you have any inside information, that would be helpful. I know it is quite a bit South from where you are, but . . .

Mike

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well, Mike, you're in luck. My in-laws are from Madison, so I know the fishing of that area quite well.

There are alot of great trout streams in southern to south eastern Wisconsin. The Black Earth Creek, Mount Vernon Creek, and the Sugar River are going to be the most accessible for you from Madison. This is my recommendation.

http://www.cross-plains.wi.us/black.html

Great fishing here. Classical farmland stream. The WiDNR has taken alot of steps to prevent erosion and preserve this fishery and the numbers of fish are way up. The best part about it is that you can get on the water in 30 minutes.

What dates are you going to be in Madison? It's possible that I could arrange to go and visit some family and sneak off for some fishing...

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm flying in on Monday the 21st and out on Friday.

At least one of my evenings is spoken for, dinner with a former colleague ... but I'm not sure which night yet.

Thanks for the tips.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm flying in on Monday the 21st and out on Friday.

At least one of my evenings is spoken for, dinner with a former colleague ... but I'm not sure which night yet.

Thanks for the tips.

Shoot, that's too bad. I'll be working, in fact, I'll just have came off of a BWCA trip that I brought some students on. At least, we'll be able to share pics.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yesterday morning, I took the Orvis Bamboo out to the local FFO trout pond for its first cast.

In a couple of hours, I brought a half a dozen fish to hand. Most were caught on a parachute adams. But, I did land a couple of a mini-deciever.

As I said earlier, this rod won't see a lot of time on the water. But, it was a pretty nice rod. I caught a couple of rainbow trout that worked the rod a bit.

I have a graphite Thomas & Thomas 4 weight that has pretty similiar action - as I recall - I haven't fished that rod yet this year.

Next week --- I'm going to hit the Black Earth Creek with my Orvis Frequent Flyer --- which is a much stiffer rod.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, Mike, you're in luck. My in-laws are from Madison, so I know the fishing of that area quite well.

There are alot of great trout streams in southern to south eastern Wisconsin. The Black Earth Creek, Mount Vernon Creek, and the Sugar River are going to be the most accessible for you from Madison. This is my recommendation.

http://www.cross-plains.wi.us/black.html

Great fishing here. Classical farmland stream. The WiDNR has taken alot of steps to prevent erosion and preserve this fishery and the numbers of fish are way up. The best part about it is that you can get on the water in 30 minutes.

What dates are you going to be in Madison? It's possible that I could arrange to go and visit some family and sneak off for some fishing...

So, I hit the Black Earth Creek near Salmo Pond on Monday, and then again, a bit further downstream on Tuesday - by South Valley Road - the to of the C&R stretch. And both days I got skunked. I haven't been skunked two days in a row in years. On Tuesday, a couple of guys coming off the water told me they did land a few fish. But, I haven't seen any caught.

Now, it is a very differet type of water than I usually fish. First, it is very small. Second, I usually fish pocket water, and this river has more riffles and runs than I am used to. But, Jeesh. I have been fishing mostly with dry flies ... elk wing caddis, small comparaduns, blue dun, light cahills. I did try a bead head nymph. My thoughts are that I am arriving a bit too late in the day. I have seen a few rises, but as the evening progresses, I see fewer of them.

I'm going to try again tonight. If you have any additional tips, they will be appreciated.

:)

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What time are you getting there? I usually have best luck right around sun up or sun down.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I discovered the antithesis to flyfishing. Enter the Cowbell. And this just so happens to be one of the best trout lures I've come across ever! When I was gone on my last vacation, I happened to get some time to go fish a secluded trout lake in the BWCA. It takes a while to get there, but it's well worth it once you do.

Anyway, I heard from some of the locals that these monstrosities were catching some huge fish, so I decided to give it a try. I also brought my fly tackle because I was sure that the god aweful thing wouldn't work.

Boyo, was I wrong! I usually get a few 12-15 inch trout every time I go to that lake. When I dropped the fricken discoball over the side, I ended up landing a 26 inch brown, a 24 inch rainbow, and a couple of others that easily pushed 20 inches. Jebus Crispie!

All of this has got me thinking, where else can I use this damn thing. And then it hit me, I've got to take it down to the Brule. The fly fishing gods will strike me down I know, but I've got a particular spot in mind and if fished during a particular time of year, a 30 + inch brown isn't out of the question.

So, Michael, please forgive me come late august and I start posting pics of some pretty amazing fish. I think you should know the truth of the matter before I get embarressed and claim they came on divers or something less rediculous.

Keeping it honest...

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Looks like somebody created five 'droppers' off a rooster tail.

I don't think it is my cup of tea, but for some, it is about catching the big fish. Interestingly, I have Lake Ontario boat tour planned in early September for some Salmon / Browns. Perhaps I'll pick up one or two of these to throw at the end of the rod.

Honestly, even fishing off the boat is going to be wierd. How do you fish without your feet getting wet? I just don't understand it.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I just spent a couple of days on Lake Ontario with some of the folks from the studio. I got two kings yesterday, and lost my hook-ups today. The Captain told us the fish are scattered about pretty good from a Southerly wind.

We boated 9 yesterday, and 7 today, all told. This was the second biggest fish of the two days. One of my colleagues got one a 20% bigger today.

This one was about 18 lbs. And he was not caught on a fly rod. :(

Attachments

• $King.jpg
    $King.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 128
OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I just spent a couple of days on Lake Ontario with some of the folks from the studio. I got two kings yesterday, and lost my hook-ups today. The Captain told us the fish are scattered about pretty good from a Southerly wind.

We boated 9 yesterday, and 7 today, all told. This was the second biggest fish of the two days. One of my colleagues got one a 20% bigger today.

This one was about 18 lbs. And he was not caught on a fly rod. :(

Holy CRAP!!!

Now, that would fill a freezer for a long time coming. May you BBQ for a long time coming with that fish.

Sorry, I don't have anything comparable right now. Hopefully, after tomorrow night, that will change. I'm heading out to a local river that takes a good run of lake run browns and I just have a feeling that a 30" is out there just waiting to take my hook.

And I will be using a flyrod this time...

Black poppers, about as big as your thumb. Stuff that would work for Muskellunge. I heard through the grapevine that those were the ticket...

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
MIchaeldward,

Nice King! If you are looking for a bit different way to prepare the bugger, here is the best I've found. Even my pickest son (Who normally doesn't touch fish) will ask when I'm going to make some more.

Maple Smoked Salmon:

INGREDIENTS:
4 small salmon fillets (about 5 ounces each)
1 cup maple syrup
1/2 tablespoon coarse salt
1 tablespoon butter
PREPARATION:
Clean and remove any skin from salmon fillets. Place in shallow baking dish and pour maple syrup over top. Turn to coat evenly. sprinkle each side with salt. Cover and refrigerator for 24 hours.
Prepare smoker. Place fillets in smoker at about 200 degrees F. for about 1 1/2 hours. When you are ready to remove the salmon from the smoker heat the butter in a skillet. Place fillets gently in skillet for about 2 minutes per side. This creates a nice glaze over the surface of the salmon.

I perfer a mix of 2/3 apple and 1/3 hickory chips in the smoker. It gives a light smoky flavor that goes well on Kings, and Steelhead.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well, I'm going fishing for the weekend. My favorite trout stream just received a lot of rain and there should be a lot of lake run browns, rainbows, and salmon in the river. And the water is warm enough that they all should be active and should take faster moving presentations. I'm going by myself and camping for the night. Which is not something I've been able to do for years since we've had kids. This should be exciting...

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Good for you.

I spent three and a half days in the North country this week. The river was awesome. My buddy and I managed to bring to net well over 100 fish; mostly brook trout and rainbows.

We didn't catch any of the 'big fish' this year ... which in this river is the 18" - 22" variety ... but we managed more than enough in the 15" - 16" range to be exceedingly pleased with our fishing skills.

Of course, it is a competition between ourselves, and animals with a brain the size of a pea.

Oh well.

Have fun.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well, it was a fruitful day and night. I caught one steelhead about 23 in and two browns. One 21 in and the other about 26 in. Here are some pics of the big one. Man, it was nice to get off by myself. Good fire, good food, good thoughts.

SeptemberBrown1.jpg

SeptemberBrown2.jpg

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nice fish.

Still can't get over that fishing at night stuff you get to do out there. It is two hours after sunset for us, in most rivers and lakes here. I have occassionally fished until I was fishing by sense of hearing alone. But that is tough.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Last night was really tough. The moon was about 3/4 and the sky was clear, so it was BRIGHT out. Many fisherman I know will usually wet a line just to say they did and then head to the bar. In fact, I got there at 7:30 and people were already leaving. By 9:00 pm everyone was gone but me.

The problem is that the water is so clear, so any bow wave from wading, no matter how miniscule, the fish pick up and move out. Last night, I discovered that the trick was to stand as still as a post and cast as delicately as possible.

With this particular fish, I could hear it munching on the surface, but it was too far out of casting range for me to reach. So, when I moved, I literally had to INCH closer. It was like moving every muscle in my body separately in order to move as SLOW as possible. In about 30 min, I was in range and I started cast at it.

On the third cast, BANG!

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That is a jointed rapala in its mouth?

I used to use those for bass all the time. Back in my hardware days, I once caught a trout on a rapala. It was in one of the northern Vermont rivers .... the Lamoille, maybe. I really didn't expect to catch anything where I was .... but the river was on the side of the road, so I stopped. Usually, when fishing for trout with spinning gear, I was a Rooster Tail guy.

My fishing buddie used to get so mad at me, because I could put my rooster tail on a dime, across 45 feet of river. He hated my accuracy.

Latest Discussions