Mexicans Defy Gun Laws in Order to Defend Themselves

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
A modern-day study of what gun control can lead to:

The reach of drug gangs based in Acapulco, about 45 miles (75 kilometers) away, had intensified to the point that they were demanding protection payments from almost anybody with any property: truck and bus drivers, cattle ranchers, store owners. In a region where farmworkers make less than $6 per day, the situation grew intolerable for everyone.

Wonder where those cartels got their weapons?

Anyway, here's the entire story:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/21/mexico-self-defense-squads_n_2519837.html

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
A modern-day study of what gun control can lead to:

Wonder where those cartels got their weapons?

Anyway, here's the entire story:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/21/mexico-self-defense-squads_n_2519837.html

I am not sure I understand what you are asking. Are you calling the self defense people cartels? That wouldn't be the name I would usually give them. Cartel conjures of drug gangs to me. I think considering the old weapons these people have, they are using weapons they have had for years, just as we do, for self defense and shooting game.

What has me curious about the whole thing, especially as to how the self defense idea seems to be spreading, is how long before it turns into another revolution. It isn't entirely different from what has started them before in Mexico. A revolution in Mexico would cause all kinds of problems in the USA.

OP
celtic_crippler

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am not sure I understand what you are asking. Are you calling the self defense people cartels? That wouldn't be the name I would usually give them. Cartel conjures of drug gangs to me. I think considering the old weapons these people have, they are using weapons they have had for years, just as we do, for self defense and shooting game.

Where did you get that? "Mexicans Defy Gun Laws to Defend Themselves"...perhaps I should have added "From Cartels".

I know where the cartels got a lot of their weapons. Our adminstration gave them to them. But nobody's pushing Eric Holder for answers any more because they're too distracted by all the hoopla around gun-control. I was merely being sarcastic.

What has me curious about the whole thing, especially as to how the self defense idea seems to be spreading, is how long before it turns into another revolution. It isn't entirely different from what has started them before in Mexico. A revolution in Mexico would cause all kinds of problems in the USA.

Read the article? There's already problems arising because the vigilante groups are holding people without any kind of due process. I don't begrudge them the right to defend themselves by any means, but you're right about the potential consequences of ALL the events that have led up to this point.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Where did you get that? "Mexicans Defy Gun Laws to Defend Themselves"...perhaps I should have added "From Cartels".

I know where the cartels got a lot of their weapons. Our adminstration gave them to them. But nobody's pushing Eric Holder for answers any more because they're too distracted by all the hoopla around gun-control. I was merely being sarcastic.

Read the article? There's already problems arising because the vigilante groups are holding people without any kind of due process. I don't begrudge them the right to defend themselves by any means, but you're right about the potential consequences of ALL the events that have led up to this point.

Perhaps I just wasn't firing on all cylinders. But now with your clarification of what you meant, I understand, including your sarcasm. And yes I read the article. The article didn't touch on how sacred I think many mexican people hold the ideals of their most recent revoluion. It wasn't that long ago.

Due process isn't something I think most Mexicans understand the same way we do. They haven't seen a lot of what we define as due process. I think due process to them is mostly something for the elete. Justice probably has a somewhat different meaning as well.

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who buys the drugs to give the cartels money? who sells the guns to the cartels so they can sell the drugs? Who makes all the money from the guns, drugs and incarceration of minorities in the supposed drug war? The 1%

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Who buys the drugs to give the cartels money? who sells the guns to the cartels so they can sell the drugs? Who makes all the money from the guns, drugs and incarceration of minorities in the supposed drug war? The 1%

What 1%?

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Sorry, the 1% that you so hate aren't driving the drug trade.
The bottom 10% are where the druggie scum live. Pretty much because drugs and success don't work together (for long).
The government runs the prisons, who is getting rich from that?
BTW, I know about 10 guys that work at the nearest prison, all happen to be minorities, one is a double minority, German and Mexican, but, don't let that dissuade you from your asinine, paranoid, hate the rich, posting.
But, nice attempted conspiracy theory.

Uncle

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Sorry, the 1% that you so hate aren't driving the drug trade.
The bottom 10% are where the druggie scum live. Pretty much because drugs and success don't work together (for long).
The government runs the prisons, who is getting rich from that?
BTW, I know about 10 guys that work at the nearest prison, all happen to be minorities, one is a double minority, German and Mexican, but, don't let that dissuade you from your asinine, paranoid, hate the rich, posting.
But, nice attempted conspiracy theory.

Well by maintaining a system of economic inequality which is well on its way to mirroring feudal serfdom, as well as making illegal certain fairly harmless drugs or rather drug, the economically privileged give rise to a certain system. What happens in said system is:
The middle class do most of the work and pay most of the taxes while being milked by wealthy, not rich, wealthy people for whatever they can vacuum from their pockets.
The economically disadvantaged occupy a socio-economic location giving rise to mental health conditions which they are likely to self medicate with drugs or alcohol. Both the self medication and it's effects as well as the mental health issues are more likely to lead to their incarceration especially with the lack of available psychiatric services for them as well as the ludicrous "war on drugs."
Add to this a privatized prison system run by wealthy individuals which actually encourages a worsening economic situation giving rise to more crime, drug use, and mental instability.

You have all the makings of a wonderful system which feeds itself and sucks more money out of the poor and gives more to the wealthy as the country goes down the toilet. There are other factors which contribute to a system which benefits from having such a large amount of the population living in fear, poverty, and misery, but these are just a few relevant ones.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well by maintaining a system of economic inequality which is well on its way to mirroring feudal serfdom, as well as making illegal certain fairly harmless drugs or rather drug, the economically privileged give rise to a certain system. What happens in said system is:
The middle class do most of the work and pay most of the taxes while being milked by wealthy, not rich, wealthy people for whatever they can vacuum from their pockets.
The economically disadvantaged occupy a socio-economic location giving rise to mental health conditions which they are likely to self medicate with drugs or alcohol. Both the self medication and it's effects as well as the mental health issues are more likely to lead to their incarceration especially with the lack of available psychiatric services for them as well as the ludicrous "war on drugs."
Add to this a privatized prison system run by wealthy individuals which actually encourages a worsening economic situation giving rise to more crime, drug use, and mental instability.

You have all the makings of a wonderful system which feeds itself and sucks more money out of the poor and gives more to the wealthy as the country goes down the toilet. There are other factors which contribute to a system which benefits from having such a large amount of the population living in fear, poverty, and misery, but these are just a few relevant ones.

The following are facts about persons defined as "poor" by the Census Bureau, taken from various government reports:

• Forty-three percent of all poor households actually own their own homes. The average home owned by persons classified as poor by the Census Bureau is a three-bedroom house with one-and-a-half baths, a garage, and a porch or patio.
  • Eighty percent of poor households have air conditioning. By contrast, in 1970, only 36 percent of the entire U.S. population enjoyed air conditioning.
  • Only 6 percent of poor households are overcrowded. More than two-thirds have more than two rooms per person.
  • The average poor American has more living space than the average individual living in Paris, London, Vienna, Athens, and other cities throughout Europe. (These comparisons are to the average citizens in foreign countries, not to those classified as poor.)
  • Nearly three-quarters of poor households own a car; 31 percent own two or more cars.
  • Ninety-seven percent of poor households have a color television; over half own two or more color televisions.
  • Seventy-eight percent have a VCR or DVD player; 62 percent have cable or satellite TV reception.
  • Eighty-nine percent own microwave ovens, more than half have a stereo, and more than a third have an automatic dishwasher.
http://www.heritage.org/research/re...or-examining-the-plague-of-poverty-in-america

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But just so you will know, ballen0351 isn't the only one who disagrees with you. I cannot imagine what in your life has given you such ideas.

Latest Discussions