Meditation.....

wisdomstrikes

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am just curious as to how many schools have their students meditate at least during some point of the class (Beginning, end, both)?
-WISDOMSTRIKES

R

RHD

wisdomstrikes said:
Hi everyone, I am just curious as to how many schools have their students meditate at least during some point of the class (Beginning, end, both)?
-WISDOMSTRIKES

There is no meditiation in my classes. I'd much rather have my students engaging in hands on practical training during class time. They are free to meditate as long as they like outside of class.
Mike

we pretty much only use meditation to take our minds off of pain.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
RHD said:
There is no meditiation in my classes. I'd much rather have my students engaging in hands on practical training during class time. They are free to meditate as long as they like outside of class.
Mike
We pretty much follow the same rational.

7sm

Bod

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I used to do meditation in my old Shaolin school.

But 5 minutes in the middle of a 4 hour class is considered a welcome break.

P

plumtree

Years ago I used to meditate before and after class. This was a short breathing session. I thought it was helpful in relaxing my mind to prepare for intense training. At the end the meditation was a perfect time to go over a form, technique or what ever in my mind to help sink it in.

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As for us, at my main studio (which I only make it to about once per month), no, there is no meditation. However, where I work out most of the time, we do a short meditation at the beginning and end of class. Nothing too fancy- just a short moment of being in the meditation stance and closing our eyes, silence and focus to open class, the same during closing.

:karate: :asian:

Eldritch Knight

Blue Belt
Reaction score
We do a short 20 second meditation in my kendo club at both the beginning and end of practice. This is done to focus us on kendo and to get our minds off the outside world.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Shodan said:
As for us, at my main studio (which I only make it to about once per month), no, there is no meditation. However, where I work out most of the time, we do a short meditation at the beginning and end of class. Nothing too fancy- just a short moment of being in the meditation stance and closing our eyes, silence and focus to open class, the same during closing.

:karate: :asian:

At every kenpo dojo I've trained in, we do a few seconds to a minute of meditation stance before class to clear our minds and focus, and again after class to briefly review mentally what we've learned.

Now at our belt test gradings, when we're done with the test, we remain in meditation stance at the end--sometimes up to five minutes--while our instructors/examiners consult with each other on the students' test performance for their new rank.

- Ceicei

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I forgot to add that for those who qualified at the test, we will then get the new belt and certificate after meditation.

- Ceicei

G

Gary Crawford

As a Kenpo student(back in the stone age) I used to meditate before every class and sometimes before the end,and always before and after every test.I found meditaion to one of the best things I can do.I don't do it that often these days,but probably should more than I do.When I do,it's usually before doing something I'm anxious about.It helps me focus.When I get the ocasional oportunity to teach,I always meditate.I take the oportunity to teach much more seriously than I do anything else.I don't want to have the wrong frame of mind,I want to be emotionaly calm.When I go to seminars or any event that has the possibility of learning something new or a different prospective of something old,I meditate on "emptying my cup".This helps me absorb material better.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
One minute of standing meditation at the start of class.
One minute of standing meditation at the end.

I feel that this is beneficial over all. Not for enlightenment... I believe that that's between a person and God. I can't help them there, except maybe an introduction if the chance arrises. But I feel that some (not a LOT) of meditation is useful in the martial arts.

Your Brother
John

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
Even before starting my training in Kung fu I used to do some meditation but we have also touched on some meditation in class. I think it is invaluable to training, especially in preparing the mind and sharpening its thought processes. Its also very useful in helping to control fear and to destress!

Latest Discussions