Boxer's punch.......stronger than Carnivora bite?

C

Cobra

Something has been really confusing me for quite sometime. I have looked and found that a boxer's punch can be between 1,200-2,500 pounds of pressure.

But what doesn't make any sense is that other strong carnivorous mammels have bite pressures that are less than a boxer's punch, and these animals seem to be a lot stronger (atleast bitting) than a human's anything. These are the bite pressure:

Wolf: 500 lb.
Cougar: 300 lb.
Tiger or Lion: 1,000 lb.
Polar Bears: 1,700 lb.

Now if you compare a boxer's punch which is again between 1,200-2,500 lb. to these animals, it means that are punch is stronger than their bite. But I don't see how it is possible considering encounters with even 90 pound dogs can be fatal for us. Are the lb. a different unit of pounds in this situation?

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Cobra said:
Something has been really confusing me for quite sometime. I have looked and found that a boxer's punch can be between 1,200-2,500 pounds of pressure.

But what doesn't make any sense is that other strong carnivorous mammels have bite pressures that are less than a boxer's punch, and these animals seem to be a lot stronger (atleast bitting) than a human's anything. These are the bite pressure:

Now if you compare a boxer's punch which is again between 1,200-2,500 lb. to these animals, it means that are punch is stronger than their bite. But I don't see how it is possible considering encounters with even 90 pound dogs can be fatal for us. Are the lb. a different unit of pounds in this situation?

I think that your numbers are off. Show us a postable source where you got your bite pressure info.

btw...it's not comparing apples to oranges. A boxers punch doesn't have teeth.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Plus you have to consider PSI (pounds per square inch). With a sharp edge/point, it is different than with a flat surface. With a flat surface, pressure is much more evenly distributed. With a sharp edge/point, the pressure is concentrated at that area.

This concept should be well known in martial arts as to why certain hand strikes or types of kicks are chosen for different targets of the body.

Now compare with teeth and a fist. The PSI will be different....

- Ceicei

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why does a blunt bullet, travelling at high velocity, stop in a kevlar vest, while an arrow, moving much slower, pierce right through it?

Even if the numbers are accurate, it still makes sense in the context of an ongoing, continuous pressure applied through incisor surfaces, as opposed to a blunt force impact against a target free to float in the breeze on impact (boxers head whipping back, vs. animal bite on static-position limb, held in place by natural scissors.).

Hmmm.

D.

OP

there is a big difference between being hit and being bit.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just have 2 questions.

1- What the hell does this have to do with the Martial Arts???????????

2- Why are we even discussing this???????????

:idunno: :idunno: :idunno:

Mike

Bod

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Pressure is measured in force/area, say pounds per square inch or Pascals (newtons/square metre). However I've seen pounds of pressure used to mean pounds in compression, as against pounds in tension.

Pressure or force are not necessarily the correct way to measure damage to the body.

Let's look at force. Everyone knows that to every action there is an equal an equal and opposite reaction. So when a gun is fired the force on the bullet is the same as the recoil force on the gun, but that doesn't mean that firing a gun equates to being hit by a bullet in terms of damage to the body.

When looking at force, or pressure or energy, you have to consider where the force is being applied and over what time frame. The time frame especially makes a huge difference. The boxers punch is maintaining the force for a fraction of a second, whereas the carnivores bite is maintained for a long time. The force per square inch is another factor.

So when comparing carnivores' bites to boxers' punches, you have to make sure you are comparing similar things in relevant ways.

someguy

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that the psi of a wolfs bit exedes 1,000 psi.

A punch has the whole body behind it and not just the jaw. The puch is more spread out.

OP
T

TonyM.

A parrots bite is something like 3000lbs. psi. A Macaws' is 5000lbs.psi. Parrots break fingers and draw blood. Macaws remove fingers. I'm not afraid of either, or dogs for that matter. Now show me a mountain lion and I'm whistling past the boneyard.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Cobra said:

In between scritching (I learned that word on CSI), why are you comparing punches to clamps with fangs? Once an animal places its bite on a vital target, it can use its whole body to shake rip an tear, which more than makes up for any slight in power. Punches last for only an instant. No dog ever expected a single bite to kill its prey. To a ninety pound pitbull biting is a proscess.
Sean (www.iemat.com)

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Again, I make reference to my above post. This topic relates to the martial arts how??????????????? :idunno:

Mike

OP
C

Cobra

MJS said:
Again, I make reference to my above post. This topic relates to the martial arts how??????????????? :idunno:

Mike
Well, it has to do with the power of a boxer's punch. And boxing is a martial art. Would you like me to use a style strike form Tae Kwon Do, Karate, or Tang Soo Do. Is that a little more martial arts for you?:rolleyes:

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Cobra said:
Well, it has to do with the power of a boxer's punch. And boxing is a martial art. Would you like me to use a style strike form Tae Kwon Do, Karate, or Tang Soo Do. Is that a little more martial arts for you?:rolleyes:

Ok, let me try to explain this in a way thats a little easier for you to understand. What I meant by my question is this. You seem fixated with fighting animals. Dude, I dont know what part of the world you're from, but where I'm from, I dont have to worry about doing a KO on a lion, tiger, or bear!!LOL! It has nothing to do with the martial arts. That was the point I was making to you. I dont care if you're talking about Kenpo, Boxing, or TKD.

Maybe we should make a suggestion to the forum heads to create a special thread just for you, so you can talk allll about your fantasies of fighting wild animals!!! :boing2: :boing2:

Mike

OP
W

WLMantisKid

MJS, why be rude? It's a discussion with relevance to martial arts... the fighting arts. Animals fight just as we humans do. Why not compare the two?

I think the bulk of why a bite is worse than a punch has been hit on here. Along with a bite is constant pressure while a punch is impact and gone, impact and gone.

OP
C

Cobra

MJS said:
Ok, let me try to explain this in a way thats a little easier for you to understand. What I meant by my question is this. You seem fixated with fighting animals. Dude, I dont know what part of the world you're from, but where I'm from, I dont have to worry about doing a KO on a lion, tiger, or bear!!LOL! It has nothing to do with the martial arts. That was the point I was making to you. I dont care if you're talking about Kenpo, Boxing, or TKD.

Maybe we should make a suggestion to the forum heads to create a special thread just for you, so you can talk allll about your fantasies of fighting wild animals!!! :boing2: :boing2:

Mike
Okay, why do you care? If you don't like my threads, why do post on them? If you hate my threads, JUST IGNORE THEM!

And about me being so into with fighting wild animals, I have only posted three out of three posts out of eight with any animals info in them.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
WLMantisKid said:
MJS, why be rude? It's a discussion with relevance to martial arts... the fighting arts. Animals fight just as we humans do. Why not compare the two?

I think the bulk of why a bite is worse than a punch has been hit on here. Along with a bite is constant pressure while a punch is impact and gone, impact and gone.

Why be so rude??? Dude, why dont you go back and re-read his response to my question!! That to me sounded pretty rude as well. And this discussion has nothing to do with the martial arts. I seriously cant believe that people are comparing how hard an animal bites to how hard a boxer punches!!!! Do you plan on fighting wild animals anytime soon??? And comparing the 2 (animals and humans) is crazy, because there is no comparison. Do animals punch?? I dont think so. So where is the comparison?? You're right on one thing though..this has been hit on here many times. IMO, a few too many!

Mike

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Cobra said:
Okay, why do you care? If you don't like my threads, why do post on them? If you hate my threads, JUST IGNORE THEM!

And about me being so into with fighting wild animals, I have only posted three out of three posts out of eight with any animals info in them.

Obviously you dont seem to like me posting on your thread!! LOL. And I'm still waiting for the answer to the fighting animals fixation that you seem to have???

Mike

OP
C

Cobra

As far as wether the bite pressures are accurate, they are and I got them from the Discovery Channel's new series, Animal Face-Off. I tried looking in the internet bite pressures (like google), but couldn't find any info on any bite pressure. If you do find a site with bite pressures, please post, but I am sure the bite pressures you find will be similar to the ones I saw on Animal Face-Off.

So if a strong boxer put on only a pair of spiked knuckles, would it have a similar effect?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Cobra said:
As far as wether the bite pressures are accurate, they are and I got them from the Discovery Channel's new series, Animal Face-Off. I tried looking in the internet bite pressures (like google), but couldn't find any info on any bite pressure. If you do find a site with bite pressures, please post, but I am sure the bite pressures you find will be similar to the ones I saw on Animal Face-Off.

Ok..I'll get right on that!

So if a strong boxer put on only a pair of spiked knuckles, would it have a similar effect?

Nope, it would not have a similar effect. The spiked knuckles would be more similar to a knife, not an animals jaws applying pressure on both sides of whatever its biting.

Mike

OP
C

Cobra

MJS said:
Obviously you dont seem to like me posting on your thread!! LOL. And I'm still waiting for the answer to the fighting animals fixation that you seem to have???

Mike
Look at one of the only other topics about fighting animals which is Arms are to apes, as legs are to humans in the Tae Kwon Do section for my awnser on why a made threads having to do with that topic.

Now as far as you posting on my threads I don't have a problem with that, but it seams that you have something against me or something. Calm down, and if you really wanted to know why I am intersted in the topic, you should of asked nicer like the member who I did reply to on why I created these three animal posts in the Arms are to Apes as Legs are to humans thread.

Latest Discussions