McDojo?

PaperPlateMan

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi, I am 15 and have been thinking of taking up martial arts soon and was looking at places in my area. I found this one place I liked but after reading some stuff around the internet about McDojos and stuff I don't wanna get ripped off or something. This is the website for the place.

http://www.phillymma.com/default.html

I am planning on going there on Monday to take a free class to see how it is. What should I be looking for while I am there to tell?

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi, I am 15 and have been thinking of taking up martial arts soon and was looking at places in my area. I found this one place I liked but after reading some stuff around the internet about McDojos and stuff I don't wanna get ripped off or something. This is the website for the place.

http://www.phillymma.com/default.html

I am planning on going there on Monday to take a free class to see how it is. What should I be looking for while I am there to tell?

To answer that we need to know what your goals are. What are you looking for in a martial art? What is your reason for wanting to take up martial arts; sports and competition, self-defense, self-improvement, fitness ...what?

Just from viewing the webpage it's definately a commercial school, but that's not a bad thing.

The facilities look top knotch.

Looks like a standard MMA school; focus on boxing and muay tai for stand up and BJJ for grappling so you probably wouldn't get any "traditional" type training.

Clips look good. Dude's got some nice moves.

This turns me off though:
Brazilian Jiu-jitsu in conjunction with Muay Thai is with out a doubt the best system for self-defense.

It's okay to love what you train in, but be wary of any school claiming to make you into Superman. Most martial arts are good, but there is no such animal as a full-proof super-martial art.

But it looks like if you want to study "UFC" type martial arts this would be the place for you.

OP
P

PaperPlateMan

White Belt
Reaction score
Well mostly I want to learn self defense and if I like it enough try it for sports. Would you say this is a good school for those reasons?

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well mostly I want to learn self defense and if I like it enough try it for sports. Would you say this is a good school for those reasons?

It appears to me that their primary focus is on the sport aspect of martial arts. That doesn't mean you wouldn't pick up good self-defense techniques though.

I reccomend taking the free class and seeing how you like it, but shop around. Visit a couple of schools and take in a class or two. Any legitimate school will allow you to take a class or two for free.

Whatever you do, DO NOT sign anything until you've had a chance to try a few schools out and compare them.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Site seems fine to me.
The Jujutsu history is incorrect.
Since then, the martial arts have evolved more in the last 10 years than they have in over 250 years prior to 1993
People have been cross training and evolving before 1993. U.F.C. was Gracie's game since then many people who are pro wrestlers,Judoka have beaten the Gracies so lets not count their styles out.
Jiu-Jitsu was originally developed in India
No. Jujutsu comes from Japan. The term Jujutsu was in use as were other words such Taijutsu,Yawara,etc,etc.

It is a fact that 90% of all fights go to a "clinch" where two people are grabbing each other and that 80% end up on the ground either by accident or by design
Stats without sources.

The unbeatable art of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu was born.
Helio Gracie lost to Masahiko Kimura. Gracies lost to Kazushi Sakuraba among other loses.

The school is not a Mcdojo it is just a commerical school with a lot of hype in it and embellish stories.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Considering you said you were 16 or older at registration, and gave a much older age in your account, you might want to investigate the concept of honesty and respect before walking in the door at any legit martial arts school. It's a concept that they like to see in their students.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
Considering you said you were 16 or older at registration, and gave a much older age in your account, you might want to investigate the concept of honesty and respect before walking in the door at any legit martial arts school. It's a concept that they like to see in their students.

Really?

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
For self defense, I would look into a RBSD system, or reality based self defense, perhaps Krav Maga if it has a good teacher.

Last edited:

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Brazilian Jiu-jitsu in conjunction with Muay Thai is with out a doubt the best system for self-defense.

So, if a guy hyped up on pcp comes at you with a machete, I'd like to know what the best BJJ or MT tech is against that. Or a guy with a slingblade. Or a crowbar. Cuz, I haven't found any techs attributed to those arts vs those weapons on Youtube. Points not to smack either art, both are excellent arts to train in, but "best" depends on what is needed.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
So, if a guy hyped up on pcp comes at you with a machete, I'd like to know what the best BJJ or MT tech is against that.

Bob, I've heard of people on PCP ripping a steal door off it's hinges, taking multiple blasts from a shotgun, and not dieing. I don't mind you refuting peoples claims, but lets try to avoid the fallacious.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ok, if I attack you with the $5 wall hanger I used in my last martial arts video, besides laughing, what BJJ technique applies? ;)

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So, if a guy hyped up on pcp comes at you with a machete, I'd like to know what the best BJJ or MT tech is against that. Or a guy with a slingblade. Or a crowbar. Cuz, I haven't found any techs attributed to those arts vs those weapons on Youtube. Points not to smack either art, both are excellent arts to train in, but "best" depends on what is needed.

I agree. The usual answer from arts that focus on one-on-one sports dueling is that no art gives you very good odds in such a situation. That's true to an extent...but empty-handed against a machete I'd rather be trying an FMA, IMA, or Aikido rather than MT or BJJ. Against the PCP-hyped, I might prefer a style based on kicks that break knees than on strikes that cause pain.

It depends! What's the best tool for the job? Well, what's the job?

Mind you, for all-around butt-kicking, MT and BJJ are great arts.

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree. The usual answer from arts that focus on one-on-one sports dueling is that no art gives you very good odds in such a situation. That's true to an extent...but empty-handed against a machete I'd rather be trying an FMA, IMA, or Aikido rather than MT or BJJ. Against the PCP-hyped, I might prefer a style based on kicks that break knees than on strikes that cause pain.

It depends! What's the best tool for the job? Well, what's the job?

Mind you, for all-around butt-kicking, MT and BJJ are great arts.

Just a perspective but I would have to say that is where being well rounded would come into play. Like what you are saying maybe some FMA for the knife and stick usage, in saying such im not downplaying the hand techniques in FMA. Lol, definitely not. They have great hand techniques from what I've seen.

But then an art that specializes in kicking, one in striking so forth.

Only problem with my thought process is mastering one system takes most of one's life. So mastering other's takes more than one life, so I would say it comes down to Master one but at the same time atleast have some type of ground game, kicking game, striking game etc...

To the level of at least understanding the mechanics behind grappling, kicking, etc... To become more well rounded in those regards.

Sorry, to run off on a tangeant just trying to formulate my thought methodology.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
ok, if I attack you with the $5 wall hanger I used in my last martial arts video, besides laughing, what BJJ technique applies? ;)

I don't do BJJ, so I don't know. But that is not the point -- refuting a claim based on event that (while it does happen) also refutes almost every of martial arts, and quite a few small arms is not a great idea.

Tensei, you're fine. I like reading your rabblings, personnally.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A comprehensive art that provides at least a basic backbone in various scenarios has been my choice. I know if I want expertise in these fields I'll need to expand my learning base, however ... the point is clearly that there is *no* BEST art form.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
ok, if I attack you with the $5 wall hanger I used in my last martial arts video, besides laughing, what BJJ technique applies?
Plenty of techniques that can be used. Though BJJ has a lot of ground work there are set ups for throws coming from Judo.

If you have correct timing,entering and control of the arm or arms in question you can set up the throw.

Seoi nage is a wonderful technique which controls the arm.

You can see the application and how it would work for a Judoka or a BJJ player.

You can then after the application apply Ude Garami or another lock or hold:

So if you are a BJJ or Judoka and follow the sword you might be able to use the forward motion to you advantage.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Discussions