May be time to let it go

Discussion in 'Chinese Internal Arts : Taijiquan (Tai Chi) and Qi' started by Xue Sheng, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

• Supporting Member
    I get to this point, for the last few years, at least once every couple of years but this time is seems a bit different. I think I am tired of Traditional Yang Taijiquan.

I have been asking myself if I am getting anything out of Yang style, or do I just keep on doing it because I have been doing it for 24 years. Of late I have noticed when doing the long form, at some point, I go on auto pilot and if I tell myself I have to go do taijiquan and I feel I need to start with Yang style, I generally do nothing at all.

I can go do what little Sun style I know, even have become intrigued with the Cheng Manching version of Yang as it comes from Cheng Manching, enjoying the heck out of push hands too. Have no problem working on Xingyi (slowly at the moment due to my knees) or standing that is used in Xingyi and Yiquan, heck I have been training qigong regularly again too. But Yang style, the actual forms I know; long, 2 fast forms, jian, and 2 dao forms....just can't get myself to do them and when I do succeed and dragging my lazy carcass to the basement to do them.. at some point, or for the whole form, I am on auto-pilot

Maybe time for a Yang taijiquan hiatus or maybe it is time to let it go and move on.

2. gpseymour

gpseymour Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member
    It doesn't sound like it brings you much value, and less joy. Life's too short for that, and there's too much cool stuff in MA. Go have some fun.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang Grandmaster

This may not make sense for others. When I

- was young, I didn't mind to do some slow movement. I started to train Taiji when I was 7.
    - get older, I just can't stand slow movement any more.

Just about 2 or 3 years ago, I started to hate slow movement for no good reason. It has nothing to do with the Taiji system. It only has to do with the "slow movement".

The slow movement remind me "old, weak, and sick", I hate that feeling.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. wanderingstudent

wanderingstudent White Belt

Only you can answer that question. In your opinion, how many actual Tai Chi weapon sets are there? I always thought 2- broadsword and straight sword. I see people doing staff, spear, and a few others; but to me they look like they are only moving slow and not using Tai Chi principles.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Flying Crane

Flying Crane Sr. Grandmaster

What will you do when you are no longer doing taiji? If you have a good answer to that, then perhaps it’s time to let it go.

If you do not have a good answer, then maybe you are just burned out and need a break.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. mograph

mograph Master Black Belt

Yep, let it go, at least for now.

There's a thing called "sunk-cost bias," where we hold onto something because we've sunk time and money into it. Yang style has influenced your current martial practice, but that's no reason to hang onto it if you have other arts you'd rather practice.

• Like Like x 2
  7. JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf Grandmaster

Go punch someone. That always works for me lol. But seriously find out what you want to do and see if you can do it with what you train. If not then train something else. Life is too short to just dedicate yourself like that without reason or purpose. There's nothing that says you have to always do one thing. Like I always say. Set purpose to training. If there is no purpose for your training, then why train? Or you can just go punch someone. I find that I'm fairly satisfied if I can land 3 good punches and 3 good strikes. and not look like generic kick boxing.

• Like Like x 2
  8. geezer

geezer Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    This gets to the core of the issue. It's a question I'm struggling with right now.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

• Supporting Member
    I have an idea and looking to meet with a few people

• Like Like x 2
  10. _Simon_

_Simon_ 2nd Black Belt

Ah yep I've been a similar situation... doing something just because you've been doing it for awhile...

Maybe a break would help get some perspective for sure, and then you'll know whether you miss it or not too.

Sounds like you're already very in tune with yourself, follow your heart, and see where it leads :). It sounds like you've already got some things that are really exciting you, I'd follow that relentlessly! Trust yourself :)

• Like Like x 1