Mature Content! Making Friends In My New Neighborhood: So WhoÂ’s the ******* Here?

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Making Friends In My New Neighborhood: So WhoÂ’s the ******* Here?

This is a funny story, but it applies to self-defense. I debated putting this in the locker room, but it brings up the question of where is the line drawn between appropriate assertiveness and aggressiveness that is not conducive of good self-defense.

The question I have is, who is the ******* here? Plus, there are many things here that I could have done differently, so this is good for all of our learning experiences. The story is as follows:

I just moved in to this area, and I am at Meijers (the only grocery store/gas station for miles) to fill up my gas at the gas station at 4 oÂ’clock in the afternoon. I am waiting in line talking to a friend on the phone. There are 3 cars in front of me and 2 behind me. I wait and wait, and finally it is my turn, and the available pump is on the other side of the station by the exit, requiring me to drive around everyone to get there.

As I am driving around, a beat up van pulls in through the exit, and B-lines right for the open pump. I stop and we make eye contact while he is now very slowly pulling into the filling area. He is a large man (about 250) with a mustache. I gesture with my thumb for him to back out. He yells, “What!? What!?” while throwing his hands up erratically. So, honk my horn, shake my head, and slowly mouth the words, “Back out” while gesturing for him to do so with my thumb. He continues to yell “What!?” while waving his hands, and finally stops in the spot at the pump.

Now, understand that with some of the bad behavior I have been witnessing over the past few weeks, I have reached my tolerance level. I am tired of people getting away with bad behavior, with no recourse. If I canÂ’t stop the behavior without putting others or myself in jeopardy, then I am going to at least let them know that they are behaving badly.

I put my car in park, and tell my friend who is still on the phone with me, “Hold on, I have to take care of something.”

I get out and walk over to the driver side of his truck. Here is the dialog exchange:

Me: “Excuse me, but did you realize that there was a line, and you just cut in front of everyone, and me?”

Him: “Whatever! I get my gas here all the time!”

Me: “That’s great, but I don’t think that gives you special privileges to cut in front of everyone in line.”

Him: *Scoffs, followed by incoherent mumbling*

[He had no intention of moving or apologizing at this point]

Me: “You know… that’s fine. Fill up your gas. But, understand while your doing it that YOU’RE an *******!

[I start to walk to my car, when he yells after me]

Him: YouÂ’re an *******!

Me: [turns around] Excuse me? IÂ’m not the self-important dick head who feels he needs to cut in front of everyone in line. But, if you want to believe that IÂ’M the one at fault here then fine. That only solidifies the fact that youÂ’re a ****ing *******. But go aheadÂ…have fun filling up your gas, ****ing *******!

Him: Hey, watch your mouth! You canÂ’t be swearing in a public place like that!

Me: Oh yea! **** You! HowÂ’s that for swearing in a public place? You have the nerve to cut in front of a line of people, AND THEN try to be the morality police with my language? ****Â…your lucky swearing at you is ALL that I am doing. If I were someone who didnÂ’t care about going to prison, IÂ’d be smashing your skull into the ****ing concrete right now, so consider yourself lucky.

Him: bubububuÂ… [Sarcastically tries to mimic my voice]

Me: ThatÂ’s fineÂ…I hope you do keep it up, and I hope that the next guy you piss of WONÂ’T be concerned about jail time, and WILL smack you in your fat ******* mouth. Enjoy your gas, *******!

[I get back to my car. The line had cleared, and the next spot that opened up right when I got to my car was right next to this guy. So, I’m thinking, great…now I get to stand there and endure this guys presence after that lovely exchange. At this point, I have said all that needed to be said, and then some. But, I knew this guy wasn’t finished, and I was a bit concerned that he would want to get physical. So I told my friend on the phone, “Dude, I gotta go…I might be getting into a fight.” I hung up the phone. I pulled up to the pump, got out, and began filling my tank. A couple minutes pass, and then he comes over to me. He keeps his distance, but he says…]

Him: HeyÂ…if you wanna go somewhere and take care of this, we can go. IÂ’ll kick your ****ing ***!

Me: Hey bro, IÂ’m right here. I donÂ’t need to go somewhere special to fight. So, if you want to be an even BIGGER ******* and try to kick my *** AFTER cutting in front of me in line, go right ahead. Swing on me. However, I donÂ’t think youÂ’ll like the consequences.

[He looks at me, looks down, then walks over to his car again. He thinks for a minuteÂ…then saysÂ…]

Him: Well, you just keep talking with your little foreign car!

Me: Yes, and while you fill up your gas guzzling piece of **** child molesters van, IÂ’ll put gas into my environmental friendly car that was actually made in a plant right here by unionized Americans, knowing at least that I was courteous enough to wait in line for it, unlike other inconsiderate *******s like yourself.

Him: YeaÂ…if you want to be a follower, then go ahead. IÂ’m a leaderÂ…

Me: ItÂ’s not about being a follower or not. ItÂ’s about being considerate to other people. And, if you want to inconsiderately cut in front of people because youÂ’re so busy and self-important, then that only makes you a leader of *******s.

Him: Man, you got some mouth on youÂ…swearing like that. DidnÂ’t your parents teach you how to behave?

Me: Well, I did learn that cutting in front of people in line, and then being belligerent afterwards is not the way to behave.

Him: YeaÂ…well I got kids, man. I donÂ’t like swearing, and I donÂ’t teach my kids to talk that way!

[Keep in mind that he was alone, and no children were in earshot of us that I could see]

Me: I’m impressed…I thought you would have said that you LEARNED them not to talk that way. Well, I hope that you “learned em’” real good other important things, like being courteous to others, and to waiting your turn.

[Silence for about 30 seconds]

Him: WellÂ….maybe I shouldnÂ’t have cut in front of you, and I didnÂ’t realize there was a line. ButÂ…butÂ…you shouldnÂ’t have been swearing like thatÂ….!

Me: Stop right there. Had you of said that to begin with; had you of said that you didnÂ’t realize there was a line and that you shouldnÂ’t have cut in front of everyone, then I wouldnÂ’t have sworn at you. I would have probably just let you go ahead without objection.

Him: WellÂ…I didnÂ’t start swearinÂ’ tilÂ’ you did!

Me: And I didnÂ’t start swearing at you until after you cut in front of everyone with no remorse. But, if it will make you feel better, I can see where maybe I could have used different, less crude language.

Him: Fine. I just donÂ’t like swearing anymore then you like people cutting in front of you. So weÂ’ll just leave it at that!

Me: Sir, weÂ’ll leave it any way youÂ’d like.

[At that point, he begins talking to me about how he had a bad week and lack of sleep, and how he was sure I did too, and how he was sorry and that he just wasnÂ’t paying attention to see a line. This was followed by small talkÂ….as if now, after all that, he was like my buddy or something]

All I have to say is that this is frickin' hilarious!! Understand, that I had people at the other pumps cracking up. I know that I didnÂ’t really DO the right thing, and had it turned into a fight, I could have been facing a whole host of problems that could have been avoided. I know that in many ways, my approach was wrong. But boyÂ…this guy SOOOO deserved it, and everyone knew it. My little audience thought it was great; it was like I was saying everything they wish they could have said to this guy, and every other inconsiderate jerk out there who has no regards for other people. Man, this was a classic.

So, who was the ******* here?

Also, where/how does one draw a fine line from being assertive yet safety minded to escalating a conflict and being too confrontive?

Interesting questions that we should all think about.

Funny story, but I canÂ’t say that I was totally right, because this could have gone really wrong. SureÂ…I was armed to the teeth at the moment, but that certainly could have made things even worse with my approach.

Anyways, just thought I would share for your entertainment, and education. :asian:

Paul :supcool:

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was great Paul!!! I have been in similar situations, so I know what you were feeling at the time. You admit that you may not have done the 'right thing', but then again, who wants to be walked on by someone? I don't know about anyone else, but I really don't like to be a door mat! It seems to me that this guy was attempting to intimidate you, but soon realized that he was digging himself into a deep hole that he could not get out of, and soon started to back pedal his way out.

In the end, things were worked out, w/o having to resort to violence. I often think out what a pain in the rear things would turn out to be, if I slugged every person like this guy.

IMHO, this guy was the cause of this verbal exchange, so my vote goes to him for being the A Hole!!!! As for where to draw the line...unfortunately, its hard to know, because if you look at someone wrong, they're ready to start something. However, like I said in the beginning...I don't like to be a door mat, so once that fine line is crossed, its hard to control what comes out of my mouth.

Mike

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hooaa!

Its about time people start standing up for the rights of EVERYBODY!
In any other given day,this guy would have punked everybody around him cause he KNOWS no one will stand up to him.
I am so sick of people sayin..."oh no,thats what the police are for"...they can't do everything and be everywhere at all time, and not to mention these whiny people who constantly say.."just walk away,he's not worth it....rise above it"...bite me.
THAT is the attitude that makes victims!
Vigilanteism? I think not.
Its just time people start standing thier ground and letting others know they can't get away with this stuff!
I bet the guy in this story re-thinks EVERY situation from now on.
HOOAA!

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I agree that it's good that you admit that you were really being the ******* first because you billigerently confronted him for being an arsehole. Intially (IMO) the first part of the exchange should've NEVER happened. The second part; when you were filling up and you began talking civil enough to understand one another and he admitted his mistake for cutting in front of everyone, that should've taken place firstly.
Yeah, I've been in those impossible pump situations as well (who hasn't? raise your hands... see it happens to everyone), where you're in position waiting for someone to move and you can fill up and time draws out like a blade; particularly when you're in a hurry but need the gas to get there, and some ******* cuts in line in front of you making you wait even longer and thus being later than you already are.
But you made a bad choice. It's a bad choice particularly for you because you as a skilled fighter and martial-artist chose to get upset over the whole thing and get confrontational. The old adage goes violence begets violence. Letting someone know that they've upset you is one thing. Letting someone know what you think of them because they upset you is another. I don't mean to preach about what I think consitutes a martial artist but it is within my sphere of belief and experience that a true martial artist would not have reacted nor use the tools to spark a confrontation. I'm not saying you are not being a true martial artist Paul, I'm just pointing out that it could've/should've/would've been handled differently, had you kept that in mind.
I get folks that tick me off a lot of the time. Usually I just roll with it and go on. If I'm in a bad mood I'll still weigh (best to my ability based on my experience) the best way to go about it. I'll let people know that I'm not too happy, but I'll do it hopefully without pushing any buttons. Sometimes, however, some people have a hair-trigger and it only takes one guy behind them in line to grumble loud enough for them to hear to set them off. Can you tell who that may be? If so you're better at reading people than I am.
Point is, the more skills we acquire during our journey through the life of martial arts the more care we should excercise in our dealings with people... particularly *******s. Ultimately we may invertedly put our skills to use when we don't desire to do so because our emotional content is disturbed and we may end up (seriously) hurting someone that we only wanted to just verbally chew out to begin with. The fact that you were
Tulisan said:
armed to the teeth at the moment
that it could've landed you in jail whether you wanted to or not. Replay the incident in your mind again and imagine the guy getting into your face (while you were pumping) and giving you a nice little shove... what would've happened (accounting your feelings and adrenaline rush) to the guy then? Oh sure you'll call it self-defense when the EMS are zipping the guy in a black bag and you're giving the arresting officer your statement, but who (really) started it? Who pushed that guy's buttons enough for him to go up and "touch" you without your permission?
It's good that you and the guy resolved peacefully and left on good terms and feeling better that it didn't get any worse than a school-yard shouting match. You probably scared the guy and it seems that he was relieved that it didnt' go far and shared his reasons for being such an arsehole. He probably did deserved what you gave him but (think about this) was he deserving of YOU giving it to him?
Stand your ground yes, Bammx2 but there's no need to be a walking ******* while doing it eh?
You are the only person (in the moment) who can draw the line in a situation like that because you are superiorly trained and armed. You are the one who makes the decision to "draw a fine line from being assertive yet safety minded to escalating a conflict and being too confrontive." The more we train in our chosen arts the more "dangerous" we become. It is our responsibility to weild these weapons (our hands, our feet, our minds) wisely and appropriately. :asian:

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
MACaver said:
Oh sure you'll call it self-defense when the EMS are zipping the guy in a black bag and you're giving the arresting officer your statement, but who (really) started it? Who pushed that guy's buttons enough for him to go up and "touch" you without your permission?
On a side note - Aggravated assault, as a defense, has been eliminated over here. Which means if you are charged with assault, the defense 'But I was Aggravated!' is not valid. Which is fair enough. But it also applies in reverse.

Which is to say, if you were in the situation above and had cause to defend yourself (with lethal force if it worked out that way) then the prosecution would be unable to claim you aggravated the victim into attacking you, and that you are ipso facto responsible for the situation.

Obviously there would be a host of other factors, but no one would be able to claim you goaded him into attacking you, and use that to lay guilt on you.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That was farking hilarious, Paul! Dangerous and hilarious!! Dang, you do live in hickville, doncha? :wink2: Thanks for sharing!

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Actually it's a peeve of mine too. You arfe patiently waiting, then some clownm thinks he is being so freakin' clever by jumping past you

T

TonyM.

Well done Paul. I have no tolerance for blowhard jerks either. I would have done exactly the same thing.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Moderator Note:
Edited post titles to conform with Profanity Filter

Rich Parsons
Martial Talk
Super Moderator

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
One part of me says "way to go bro." There are a lot of people out there who act like F-ing A-holes either because they is one or because they just don't stop to think about others. It definately feels good to get it off your chest and put them in their place. I can't say that I haven't done similar things.

BUT,

like you already acknowledged, and everyone else has stated. It may not be the smartest course of action. The problem is that you never know when it'll turn out okay and you actually manage to drag an apology out of them; or when it'll go down like the pizza-place thing a few months ago where the guy ended up in the hospital because he called someone for cutting in line. Of course, if the guy had gotten combative, you would probably have wasted him which then creates the problem of explaining to the boys-in-blue why a high-level MA'ist dropped someone at the local gas'n'go.

Like I said, it feels good to call BS once in a while, just be careful.

OP
Cruentus

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
kenpotex said:
Like I said, it feels good to call BS once in a while, just be careful.

Right there is the moral of the story condensed.

Yes, it was a funny story. Yes, it is great to see the inconsiderate person get called out on his actions. And yes, the guy deserved it.

BUT....I would never advocate my behavior as the choice course of action in a self-defense class, or otherwise. You all are correct; had it escalated to a physical confrontation, I could have been in a world of trouble. Even if I was determined to be in the right by the court system, that would only be after thousands of dollars in court costs, bail money, etc.

And, as someone who understands how lawsuits work - even if YOU KNOW that you are going to win the case, none of that helps the mental stress and uncertainty of going through a criminal or civil suit. Nothing. Because you'll be putting your family, loved ones, and even friends through that experience whether you mean to or not.

Sometimes, even if your right, you have to ask yourself "Is it worth it." Most of the times, it isn't.

Paul

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
From the "somebody needs to stand up to ********" side of the house Id say "way to go".

From the "risk vs. reward" and "pick your battle" side of the house...not so much.

Having training and weapons means you have to take more **** in the long run than less...it sucks but its true.

CMack11

Orange Belt
Reaction score
:mp5:

This is what should happen to people who do what that guy did. I'm glad to hear you did what you did, it really ticks me off when jokers get away with selfish stuff like that.

I'm a little more abrasive than most, but I don't really see much of a problem w/ the way you handled yourself.

C

c2kenpo

MACaver said:
But you made a bad choice. It's a bad choice particularly for you because you as a skilled fighter and martial-artist chose to get upset over the whole thing and get confrontational. The old adage goes violence begets violence. Letting someone know that they've upset you is one thing. Letting someone know what you think of them because they upset you is another.

Paul I commend you for your courage to at least express yourself but agree with MC on this one.
We ALL have been in situations that just seem ridiculous and really get under our skin "pet peeves" the tru challenge is how we face those.

A prime example is my per peeves with grocery carts being left in parking lots. I have repaied over $200 in damages due to shopping carts. Of course Gorcery/retail stores are not responsible so WHO IS?? I try to park right next to the cart returns but still my car seems to be a magnet to the damned things.

So on a finl lovely day I am leaving to get in my car from a Wal-Mart when I see a lady empty her cart across from my car in the same aisle and simply "shove the cart aside" as I am walking closer the cart dangerously careens to my vehicle (magnet) and I have to run carring my grociers to stop it from colliding. Of course I get luck and catch it but in my haste and anger ( knowing I saw it) I shout:
G*D D*MN WHY DON"T PEOPLE PUT THESE THINGS WERE THEY BLOODY BELONG!

I had to a take a moment to hang my head as several people were startled by my outburst. I walked camly over towards the lasy that "let the cart go" and apologised for my outburst and explaind that I had been a "cart crash" victim sevral times and it has been quite expensive. I was trying to be rude when I yelled and apologised. She looked at me dumbfounded but suddenly realized the error in judment she made thinking what if it was her car. She apologised as well and I simple smiled and told ther "Thank you have a great day."

Now no one knows if she will put the cart where it belongs from now on but I personaly think that as martial artists WE need to set the EXAMPLE and help spread the light. Takes time and paitence (LORD GRANT ME MORE) but I believe we can make the world a better place.

Paul once more kudos on your courage to try to do the right thing. And by the way ... Where do you put your grocery shopping cart??
:rolleyes:

David Gunzburg

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
The only problem I had a part with was the profanity, which was understandable given the circumstances. What probably resolved the situation was the fact that you talked to him like a child AND stood your ground. He tried to intimidate, and that just resulted in you talking to him MORE like a child.

Most people think this escalates the situation, but sometimes it puts a person in a position where they are actually forced to feel guilty. Especially if you are extremely assertive and consistent with it. I don't mean baby talk, I mean the way you'd talk to your 13 year old if you caught him trying to light the kitchen table on fire.

I use this on the job often, usually with drunks. They call me every name they can remember from their limited vocabulary, and I simply ask them how old they are again. I had a drunk guy once challenge everyone in the station to a fight. This is after he kicked out the back police car window after he was put in the back seat.

The guy was 37 years old, so I asked him if he had any kids. Still beligerant, he told me he had a 17 year old son. I then asked him at what point he was going to grow up. I said that having a 17 year old son, he had an obligation to set an example for his son. I then asked him how proud his son would be to see him acting the way he was. He grew silent, so I pressed on. I told him that after 37 years of doing what he was doing, it might be time to grow up and be a man. It was at that point that this guy who was going to kill everyone in the station with his bare hands 10 minutes before, started crying. He then apologized to everyone and started talking about how he had ruined his own life.
Again, leave out the profanity, and you'd have had the absolute high ground. I specifically like how you steered the conversation away from his physical challenge without appearing to be afraid of him. This allowed the conversation not to deterrate in to a peeing contest about who can beat who up. Again, it's not bad to stick up for yourself.

One of the other things I think helped avoid a conversation is that you were assertive in the way you handled the situation, as opposed to the pizza guy someone mentioned earlier. He was very passive aggressive in that confrontation, using his cell phone as a prop to verbally attack the female subject. This actually escallated the situation because it simultaneously enraged the big male subject more (nobody likes passive aggressive) AND emboldened him in to thinking that he had nothing physically to fear from this guy. Assertive is much safer than passive aggressive, in my experience, if you know how to steer the confrontation away from physical.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was on another board when that whole pizza shop issue hit. Though I was sypathetic to the guy who got beat up, I got flamed because I said he brought it on himself and the whole situation was avoidable.

I, like everyone else has had similar situations. The older I get, the more I tend to avoid the confrontation. It just isn't worth it. I have always had a hot head and am not very good at controlling the temprance of a confrontation. I tend to get overly aggressive as Paul did. That's actually why I started TKD in the first place. Unfortunately, avoiding them altogether many times leaves me more agitated for days. There has to be a balance somewhere, right? What MACaver stated made alot of sense though.

[He probably did deserved what you gave him but (think about this) was he deserving of YOU giving it to him?]

Think I'll chew on ot for awhile.

Regards,

Latest Discussions