Matt Hughes vs. Royce Gracie

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
Probably because of all the kung fu guys butts he's kicked over the years :D

I understand that their attitudes sometimes rub people the wrong way, but even if you dislike him for that you got to respect him for what he's done. He stepped up and proved that martial arts could do what everyone had been claiming but no one else could do.

That a small, not particullarly strong person could beat a much larger, stronger, more athletic and very tough opponent. Royce's dominance in the UFC changed the ways people view fighting, before that ground work was basically ignored flat out.
sorry i have to disagree. i'd respect a loser that's humble more than a successful person that's arrogant. the ideal person is a very successful person in what he does yet very humble. THAT, my friend, i do respect.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No offence here, but isn't your attitude towards Chinese styles, values and masters similar to there attitude about themselves?

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
No offence here, but isn't your attitude towards Chinese styles, values and masters similar to there attitude about themselves?

oh no, dont get me wrong this isnt about the style.
I did not say chinese styles or MMA or anything. That could be a whole different discussion in which i certainly would not use the words 'disrespect' and 'hate'.
I am talking about a virtue that has nothing with where you come from or what you do. Every nation has it's humble and has it's arrogant regardless if they're martial artists or computer scientists. I happen to dislike those who do not show humility.
and no offense taken :)

Marvin

Black Belt
Reaction score
:-offtopic
Ok, lets get the thread back on track!!. I see it going one of two ways, the first way is very similar to what Andrew said. The stand ups are going to hurt Royce with the cards. I don't care for the stand up rules, but that is a rant for a different thread. The second is that Hughes gets a good punch in eary in the first round and G-N-P's Royce to death. I just hope it's a good fight

Davejlaw

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm not sure that you'd find many "humble" people in the Octagon. Most fighters need to be self-confident to the point of arrogance to get themselves up for a full contact MMA fight which is no joke. If the Gracies are arrogant it must have something to do with the fact that their family has been dominant in submissions for many years now. There is nothing wrong with being arrogant in the ring as long as you are respectful in the ring. One can be both. I find that one of my favorite fighters, George St. Pierre, is arrogant but manages to stay respectful. Arrogant is talking trash before the fight and being sure that you can win, respectful is shaking his hand if you lose. It's all part of the game.

Davejlaw

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I would like to see Royce win but I don't think Hughes is going to see anything new out of the old man. Royce is good against a GNPer, Matt better watch those arms and not straighten them out!

Echsos

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I think it'll come to a decision. Royce doesn't like to rush things so we're going to be in for a looooong match.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I still think Matt will win but I admit if he gets careless its over in a hartbeat wih a submission. I also think the Royce knows Matt will want to do more standup and will be ready for it. If it goes past the first round I see royce going fast for takedowns and then into his waiting game
What i dearly would like to see is matt submit royce

scottcatchot

Green Belt
Reaction score
I respect Royce, but I want matt to beat him. It would be great if Matt got him in a submission......but I don't expect it.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mantis said:
he seems to be a very arrogant person, not only him but his entire family seems very arrogant and they think too much of themselves. (see the thread on their little video) I automatically have no respect for arrogant people on the net, street, work or anywhere i see them.

I wouldn't lump his entire family into that classification. Yes, it's true that some of them do have, shall we say, colorful attitudes? Ralph Gracie, especially, seems to be quite the talker. I still remember the interview where he was claiming that all Karate, Kung Fu, etc., is garbage. Not too endearing, especially since most such traditional schools teach respect for others.

At the same time, though, I've met Renzo in person, and he's a very down to earth, really nice fellow.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I for one have never gotten upset at the remarks about other styles being crap, especially kung fu. Reason being is its true....most kung fu I've run into is complete and udder crap, so why should I take offense to it. I run into peopel all the time that find out I train in CMA and want ot show me how amazing they are at some CMA....9.99999999999999999999999 times out of 9.999999999999999999 its complete crap.

7sm

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
I for one have never gotten upset at the remarks about other styles being crap, especially kung fu. Reason being is its true....most kung fu I've run into is complete and udder crap, so why should I take offense to it. I run into peopel all the time that find out I train in CMA and want ot show me how amazing they are at some CMA....9.99999999999999999999999 times out of 9.999999999999999999 its complete crap.

7sm

LOL!!!!
Y do u feel most of it is crap? System, teacher, students?
This might make a good seperate thread.

Royce does seem cocky as heck but that is the way someone should be when it comes to these type of fights. You look at professional boxers, they are the same way and they have to be. There cant be no doubt in their mind that their opponent is even slightly better or they are evenly matched. Nature of the beast so I dont put a whole lot into it.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
AceHBK said:
Royce does seem cocky as heck but that is the way someone should be when it comes to these type of fights. You look at professional boxers, they are the same way and they have to be. There cant be no doubt in their mind that their opponent is even slightly better or they are evenly matched. Nature of the beast so I dont put a whole lot into it.
That's true, but there's a big difference between confidence and arrogance. Some of the best competitors I've seen have been quit humble while extremely confident in their abilities. Arrogance I have no use for, I don't care how good you are.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah look at Franklin, he is very confident, but one of the most humble guys in the UFC. A little arrogance is ok, but just being an *** I can't tolerate.

Ace, I dont know why its crap, maybe a combination of students, teachers, poor training habits?

7sm

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You guys make a good point and Randy Couture and Rich Franklin are good examples.

7* I see where u r coming from. Do u think techniques are no longer good? Rthey no longer effective? I am glad you said this cause I think many feel this way but dont want to admit it.

Latest Discussions