Martial Sport VS Self Defense

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, but would you agree that they all do a GREAT job of building skill for use within that sport? If so, why do you think that is?
Does the sport do a great job of building skill for the sport? That's what schools/gyms do, not sports. There is a mix, though people tend toward the places that do the best in competition, if competition is their intent, so those are likely to do better financially, too. A lot of good incentive for the schools.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please support this assertion with something other than confidently declaring that it is true.
That SD has a statistical problem of inconsistent evidence in context, which can lead to erroneous conclusions? I'm not sure what you'd need to support that statement.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Does the sport do a great job of building skill for the sport? That's what schools/gyms do, not sports. There is a mix, though people tend toward the places that do the best in competition, if competition is their intent, so those are likely to do better financially, too. A lot of good incentive for the schools.
We have two BJJ schools. One competes and the other does not? Which one better prepares the students for competition? I’d say the one that encourages students to actively compete. Seems like common sense to me.

So, does a BJJ school prepare students to compete in TKD? What about a judo competition? Could a BJJ purple belt succeed in a Kyokushin Karate competition?

You’re muddying the waters by bringing in finances, but still headed in the right direction.

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Your looking at self defense on the micro level, meaning the courses you describe. I see self defense on the macro level.
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by micro and macro, in the context of this post that is.
You called me ignorant
No, I said
the last part of that comment is very ignorant.
in response to
except the white pajama's and the foreign words and bowing and stuff.
I said your comment was ignorant, not you were ignorant
BJJ is right now predominant in sport there is also BJJ courses marketing directed towards the segment of the population that wants self defense without the bowing, gi, counting in Japanese ect.
From a technical standpoint, teaching students how to count and show proper respect doesn't diminish the SD component of MA. However; from a grappling standpoint I understand the importance of training no-gi grappling as it pertains to how certain techniques are modified.

If there are people out there that want to learn how to "defend themselves" but learning how to count to ten in a foreign and learning proper etiquette are too daunting of tasks then you're right MA probably isn't for them.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have two BJJ schools. One competes and the other does not? Which one better prepares the students for competition? I’d say the one that encourages students to actively compete. Seems like common sense to me.

So, does a BJJ school prepare students to compete in TKD? What about a judo competition? Could a BJJ purple belt succeed in a Kyokushin Karate competition?

You’re muddying the waters by bringing in finances, but still headed in the right direction.
No, I'm not muddying the waters. It's both a motivation for the school and something that helps the school stay open, which increases the likelihood that - among schools that compete - the ones that do the best job preparing for competition are most likely to survive. That's a dynamic that helps sport-oriented schools.

As for which school prepares folks better for competition, if it's not the one that's trying to prepare folks for competition, they are doing something wrong. It's the context they are training for, so should be well focused on the rules and strategies most likely to succeed in that context.

I'm not sure what your point was in asking if a BJJ school prepared studnts for TKD competition, etc.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
No, I said

I said your comment was ignorant, not you were ignorant

i fail to see the difference. i also do not understand your point on why it is ignorant to begin with.
teaching students how to count and show proper respect doesn't diminish the SD component of MA
for starters i never said it diminishes the self defense value of martial arts.
i would hope that if it is an adult student they learned how to count in school or at home since they were about 3 years of age there is no point in learning it in a foreign language and bowing in class while it does show respect in Japan and China, it is a foreign practice and in America really doesnt mean squat, we do not share that cultural backround.
but learning how to count to ten in a foreign and learning proper etiquette are too daunting of tasks then you're right MA probably isn't for them.

you know if you took that chip off your shoulder and stopped thinking you know everything like a teenager (unless you actually are a teenager) we might be able to have a civil conversation.
some people, for various reasons, do not want or need all that cultural stuff added in. it is a superfluous distraction and the only reason why it is there was because back in the 1950's and 60's when Judo and karate became popular it was seen as exotic and something mysterious and special and that special feeling helped its marketing and kept the students and money rolling in.
now if you want to stick to some kind of defense of these things please give a good argument to explain why counting in Japanese or other language and wearing white pajamas is integral to learning self defense or a martial art.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If there are people out there that want to learn how to "defend themselves" but learning how to count to ten in a foreign and learning proper etiquette are too daunting of tasks then you're right MA probably isn't for them.
I think is a population that doesn't find that counting or the new etiquette daunting, but finds it unnecessary. I'm ambivalent to it, but also see it as not a necessary part of training. I still tend to use Japanese terms, but only because they're easy and comfortable for me (because most of my training used them), not because I think they're particularly useful to training. For a new student, I try to use as little Japanese as possible.

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i fail to see the difference. i also do not understand your point on why it is ignorant to begin with.
Okay, I'll try and explain how they're different. Our actions aren't always consistent with our characteristics. Meaning, intelligent people can do unintelligent things and coordinated people can trip and fall down. You saying something ignorant doesn't automatically mean you're ignorant.
i would hope that if it is an adult student they learned how to count in school or at home since they were about 3 years of age there is no point in learning it in a foreign language and bowing in class while it does show respect in Japan and China, it is a foreign practice and in America really doesnt mean squat, we do not share that cultural backround.
You're getting to hung up on the motions and missing the principal. It's not the action itself of bowing, but it's about showing respect. The MA class(regardless if it's in the US or not) understands that bowing is a sign of respect and why it's important. The fact that bowing isn't rooted in American culture is meaningless, the fact that they know what it means is important.
you know if you took that chip off your shoulder and stopped thinking you know everything like a teenager (unless you actually are a teenager) we might be able to have a civil conversation.
How have I said I know everything? I have my own views on the topic and I give examples and my reasoning behind them. The conversation hasn't be uncivilized at all, if you think it has please provide examples.
some people, for various reasons, do not want or need all that cultural stuff added in.
What would qualify as "various reasons"?
it is a superfluous distraction
How is distracting?
the only reason why it is there was because back in the 1950's and 60's when Judo and karate became popular it was seen as exotic and something mysterious and special and that special feeling helped its marketing and kept the students and money rolling in.
Again, your comment is ignorant. Meaning, it's based off misinformation and thus you draw inaccurate conclusions. Many styles of MA have you learn the techniques in the original language, that's not solely a "Judo and Karate" method. Travel all over the world and many MA schools in various countries(even excluding the originator of the style) will call many of the techniques by their original names. The use of GIs wasn't invented as a means for marketing "Judo and Karate" when it came to the US. GIs have been used for a very long time are still used all over the world as training uniforms. In summary, neither the foreign terms nor GIs were created as marketing gimmicks when MA came to the US.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Agreed, assuming it's within a single sport (MMA, being a positive example). There's a huge variety among martial sports, and not all do much to improve skill for use outside that sport.

Not sure what you mean there.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Okay, I'll try and explain how they're different. Our actions aren't always consistent with our characteristics. Meaning, intelligent people can do unintelligent things and coordinated people can trip and fall down. You saying something ignorant doesn't automatically mean you're ignorant.
i understand that, i was more referring to your initial comment to something i said, i dont know why you said it. but its many posts ago and is irrelevant at this point. so no use in derailing the important debate and the thread in general, ill let it go.

You're getting to hung up on the motions and missing the principal. It's not the action itself of bowing, but it's about showing respect. The MA class(regardless if it's in the US or not) understands that bowing is a sign of respect and why it's important. The fact that bowing isn't rooted in American culture is meaningless, the fact that they know what it means is important.
its been my observation that people bow in class because they are told they have to. people will bow due to the requirements and expectations of the class which is far different than having a feeling of sincere gratitude or respect in your heart and having that express itself as a bow. by this i mean people will bow as an empty gesture. it is not our (im in America) culture to express things with this gesture. wouldnt it be more appropriate to shake hands or bump gloves like in boxing. why is it that we bow and not shake hands?

What would qualify as "various reasons"?
i could point out that for a long time in America and still continues that bowing is a religious problem for many people. i actually know of one American 8th Dan master of Okinawan Goju ryu that had to give up his karate and dojo when he married a born again Christian women and converted to her church and religion. many Christian, Jehovah and i think Muslim people find it a sin and intolerable to bow or meditate.

Again, your comment is ignorant. Meaning, it's based off misinformation and thus you draw inaccurate conclusions.
nope not even close.
Many styles of MA have you learn the techniques in the original language, that's not solely a "Judo and Karate" method.
learning a language is expected if your in another country and/ or the teacher is from another country and uses his language to teach. that is perfectly acceptable. but it is not a method, its a fact of life that people speak different languages. i also understand many styles other than Judo and karate do this. i just felt that it would be "understood" that i dont need to make a list of every art and that those two would be representative of the general concept.

The use of GIs wasn't invented as a means for marketing "Judo and Karate" when it came to the US
In summary, neither the foreign terms nor GIs were created as marketing gimmicks when MA came to the US.
i never said it was invented as a marketing tool. you are reading into things that were never said or implied. i am well aware of the origins of the Gi probably much more so that you are. its called cultural appropriation and was used as a marketing gimmick. to be specific you cant invent or create cultural appropriation. it has to be there already.
while it might seem natural to you to do this, it would be a little odd for someone to travel to France to learn to be a chef and upon their return insist that the restaurant staff use French names like cuillere and couteau, for all the utensils and kitchen tools when they reside in Ohio.

i will repeat myself .....please explain why these cultural things are integral to the art and that without them the martial art will be diminished somehow.
and while you are explaining you could also explain why karate uses Okinawan or Japanese when the art was created and originally in Chinese, and yet the Okinawans used their own language/??????

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That is the ironic part to me. You train (iIRC) primarily for that reason, yet you bash that reason rather generally from time to time. If that's not what you mean to communicate, either you or I (or both) have missed something in the communication.

Because of the huge amounts of just awful that are attached to the self defence mindset.

I mean this whole thread started with a self defence expert missing basic concepts of how actual fights work.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
No, I'm not muddying the waters. It's both a motivation for the school and something that helps the school stay open, which increases the likelihood that - among schools that compete - the ones that do the best job preparing for competition are most likely to survive. That's a dynamic that helps sport-oriented schools.

As for which school prepares folks better for competition, if it's not the one that's trying to prepare folks for competition, they are doing something wrong. It's the context they are training for, so should be well focused on the rules and strategies most likely to succeed in that context.

I'm not sure what your point was in asking if a BJJ school prepared studnts for TKD competition, etc.

So you are bringing up the BJJ inverted guard stuff that wins competitions but is not self defencey?

Does that lessen though when schools do multiple competition styles?

The BJJer who does MMA.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Because of the huge amounts of just awful that are attached to the self defence mindset.

I mean this whole thread started with a self defence expert missing basic concepts of how actual fights work.
actually to me the whole thread was started to point out the growing but mistaken dogma and arrogance within MMA and BJJ that sport training is effective for street self defense.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
i could point out that for a long time in America and still continues that bowing is a religious problem for many people. i actually know of one American 8th Dan master of Okinawan Goju ryu that had to give up his karate and dojo when he married a born again Christian women and converted to her church and religion. many Christian, Jehovah and i think Muslim people find it a sin and intolerable to bow or meditate

That must be an American thing, JW here have no issues with bowing (or shortcutting to a nod), and I've never heard any other Christians complain.

Maybe if you're a fringe fundamentalist who has interpreted certain passages in a certain way...

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
actually to me the whole thread was started to point out the growing but mistaken dogma within MMA and BJJ that sport training is effective for street self defense.

The thing is if your argument relies on two guys getting bashed by five guys. While your own method isn't supported by evidence. You don't have an argument.

We don't see Tim Larkin with any solution to that problem. In that he did not go and do any better. He doesn't go and handle a MMA fighter with his method. He doesn't win a street fight with his method. I don't think I have ever seen the guy spar.

I could show you a video of a BMX falling off a roof. But that is not an argument for why a scooter is safer. But it gets used all the time. And people fall for it all the time.

This is the old I don't know does not equal god.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That must be an American thing, JW here have no issues with bowing (or shortcutting to a nod), and I've never heard any other Christians complain.

Maybe if you're a fringe fundamentalist who has interpreted certain passages in a certain way...
Muslims can only bow to Mecca. Christians cannot worship false idols.

OK. So some Christian and Muslims have no issue either way. But some do.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
actually to me the whole thread was started to point out the growing but mistaken dogma and arrogance within MMA and BJJ that sport training is effective for street self defense.

By the way wouldn't you need an understanding of MMA and BJJ to make that assessment. Or does that argument disappear for some reason?

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Muslims can only bow to Mecca. Christians cannot worship false idols.

OK. So some Christian and Muslims have no issue either way. But some do.

A bow is considered worship?

Edit: it'd be down to the intent behind the bow. Just because I put my hands together it doesn't mean I'm praying...

If they have a problem with it, tough. Why does everything have to be changed all the time to account for pathetic insecurities and overly delicate sensibilities...

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
The thing is if your argument relies on two guys getting bashed by five guys. While your own method isn't supported by evidence. You don't have an argument.

We don't see Tim Larkin with any solution to that problem. In that he did not go and do any better. He doesn't go and handle a MMA fighter with his method. He doesn't win a street fight with his method. I don't think I have ever seen the guy spar.

I could show you a video of a BMX falling off a roof. But that is not an argument for why a scooter is safer. But it gets used all the time. And people fall for it all the time.

This is the old I don't know does not equal god.
By the way wouldn't you need an understanding of MMA and BJJ to make that assessment. Or does that argument disappear for some reason?

i would have to go back and watch the video again but my original impression was that he was pointing out the dogmatic fallacy that MMA practitioners believe that MMA training and competition equals street defense. his point from my perspective was that the ring (or octagon as the case may be) prepares you for competition and that street defense is most often an unfair and weaponized combative event. the street doesnt care about rules and fair play, was the message i got from the video. if your takeway was that MMA has no benefit for street defense , that is not the way i interpreted it.

Latest Discussions