Martial child abuse

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Cool. So Tekken wasn't stretching the bounds of reality with the last boss in Tekken 2....

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't know anything about the dojo in question, but I have seen children abused in the guise of "martial arts" and "toughening" It can be a very fine line.

the majority of the article, however, was absolutely rediculous propaganda.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, in my Kung Fu School when I was a kid, I would have to say was pretty damn close to abuse. It does happen, but that article was pretty far fetched. Dnag, sounds like the legalistic religious campaign my parents went on when I was in Junior High School.
Speaking of the fine line there, had anyone read Jackie Chan's book, "I am Jackie Chan" ? My todays standards, his training as a child would be considered child abuse too, but look at his life and attitude, and skill, MY GOD!!

7sm

OP
F

fist of fury

Originally posted by Kirk

This guy is lumping all m.a. together, because of the acts of ONE
psycho! Going by that info, I can say that all reporters jump the
gun, and report pure bull!

IMO your not too far from the truth much. I don't know who twists the truth more a politician or a reporter.

OP
D

Danny

the inhuman vermin that promotes this is a cancer in the body of humanity

Never been called that before.

Martial arts instructors, who are unworthy of being called human, dare to say that this abuse is positive and good for them, it has only helped the instructors to abuse and exploit children and extract a lot of money from their parents.

Apparently I'm inhuman.

:rofl: To funny.

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by fist of fury

IMO your not too far from the truth much. I don't know who twists the truth more a politician or a reporter.

I don't think this person is actually a reporter. Reporters usually don't blatantly insult the subjects they're writing about. they try to be more subtle. lol.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by nightingale8472

I don't think this person is actually a reporter. Reporters usually don't blatantly insult the subjects they're writing about. they try to be more subtle. lol.

Yeah, I think this guy is more along the lines of a "head in the sand" religious fanatic.

7sm

jkn75

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The guy who wrote this article has a big problem. Under the guise of one school's bad acts he attempts to lump all martial artists into one category: "This one school is like this so all schools are like this." This is ridiculous.

The most telling thing about this article is the issue of girls in the martial arts. They shouldn't be there, period. They should learn to nurture and be independent, but not in any activity where physical activity is involved. Boys can do martial arts and should be encouraged to take martial arts to promote their 'natural' inclination to physical activity. But when boys and girls spar, it is abuse. It encourages boys to hit girls. I think that it encourages the girls to hit back and it teaches boys that if they hit a girl, she might turn around and knock him down. I've never seen an instructor encourage hitting outside of class and one of my instructors would actually sit people out of sparring if the parents reported any use of martial arts outside of class that wasn't a self defense situation.

:soapbox: Finally I'm sick of this stereotype that martial arts somehow teaches violence in any way. It looks violent: kicking and punching, people fallling down, joints being manipulated. What people forget is that violence is directed at a person because they are perceived to be weak and the other wants to control them. The idea of any martial art is to improve the person: the body and the mind. Martial arts stresses discipline and respect and unfortunately, martial arts class is the only place some kids seem to get these two skills. People always want to discuss the physical aspect of martial arts but never want to give credit to the martial arts for being one of the last places that discipline and respect are required. Respect for those older, higher rank, and saying sir and ma'am aren't there for show.

However like any calling, one bad apple spoils the bunch. Look at lawyers, used car salespeople, etc. Everyone has had a bad experience with at least one, so the whole group is somehow flawed. If this guy would have actually done some research on the martial arts; its benefits for all people, all ages; and actually take a martial arts class, he would know a lot better and have a better view of the martial arts and what it does. Until he does all that, he's just another idiot on the internet.

OP
M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by Kirk

This guy is lumping all m.a. together, because of the acts of ONE
psycho! Going by that info, I can say that all reporters jump the
gun, and report pure bull!

Check out this story, written by Sean Kelly, a real martial artist.
http://libercratic.government.directnic.com/Journal/culture/sports/tigerkim.htm
Actually, Bruce Lee DID learn tae kwon do. Actually, it was hwa rwang do or something. The second-floor guy you see in The Game of Death was one of his teachers. The guy above him (in terms of the lineage, the instructor of the second-floor guy) also taught Bruce Lee. Not like Yip Man of course, but he did learn some.

OP
A

Angus

Martial Artist, the guy on the 2nd floor was a 7th dan (or something very high) Hapkidoist. The guy on the floor above that (or below, I don't remember who came first) was Dan Inosanto. I'm not sure which you're referring to, but I don't think there was any Hwarangdo in there; I just saw Hapkido.

The article? Pure propaganda, written by somebody who is obviously biased and has NO idea what they're talking about. However, they're hoping that most of the people READING it have no idea what they're really reading about, so that's how they can keep going. Sounds like a moron, so I wouldn't get too worked up about it.

OP
Y

Yossarian75

Bruce Lee trained with Joon Rhee(tkd) and Chuck Norris(TSD), I believe this is how he learned his high kicks. You may notice on screen Bruce likes to use head level hooking kicks a lot, Wing Chun(BL's base art) rarely uses kicks above waist hieght. The Hapkido guy is Ji Han Jae who is considered by many the founder of Hapkido, although he himself credits Grandmaster Choi Young Sool as the true founder.

As for the child abuse issue, the author of that piece should come to my school and check out the children. We have dilighted parents who have sent thier kids to classes(some with behavior problems) who are now very disciplined, well behaved and confident all without hurting/abusing them. A friend of mine who is a social worker(works with 'problem' kids) is trying to set up martial arts classes for so called problem kids because he was so impressed after seeing kids competing in a recent tournament. In the Uk there are far more reports of child abuse within the education system and even religious organisations not to mantion the home, I think Gregory Flanagan should redirect his energys in these areas, he seems to have something personal against martial arts. Ignore the ignorant.

OP
M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by Angus

Martial Artist, the guy on the 2nd floor was a 7th dan (or something very high) Hapkidoist. The guy on the floor above that (or below, I don't remember who came first) was Dan Inosanto. I'm not sure which you're referring to, but I don't think there was any Hwarangdo in there; I just saw Hapkido.

The article? Pure propaganda, written by somebody who is obviously biased and has NO idea what they're talking about. However, they're hoping that most of the people READING it have no idea what they're really reading about, so that's how they can keep going. Sounds like a moron, so I wouldn't get too worked up about it.
Yeah, I was referring to the hapkido guy.

I don't think Dan Inosanto learned hapkido extensively.

OP
A

Angus

I don't think Inosanto learned Hapkido at all!

Ji Han Jae is it. The name was slipping my mind.

Latest Discussions