Martial Arts with Large amount of Takedowns?

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there a martial art that contains a large amount of takedowns other than the obvious Judo/Jiu Jitsu/MMA.

By takedowns I am thinking for self defence purposes getting the other person onto the ground would be a good way to be able to either run off and not have them catch you or control them from an advantageous position.

So do any striking martial arts have it where a significant component of the art is to get the person down to the ground?
Hapkido= punching and kicking with joint manipulation style grappling and takedowns.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not an art but more of a rule set-look up sanda/sanshou.
To second this, San Shou (and it's more dangerous cousin, Lei Tai) is probably the best example of a competition format built to accommodate the throwing styles many different arts. Judo, jujutsu, Shuai Jiao, wrestling etc.

It's not uncommon to find all sorts of different competitors, from MMA to Muay Thai to traditional CMA/FMA, take part in it. The format allows basically any modern throw, including stuff that's been banned in other formats like Judo and Muay Thai. Basically, if it puts the other dude on the ground, it's legal. In the Lei Tai format, the ground is at least a few feet below the platform, and there are no ropes.

Cung Le's book on San Shou is fan-tastic. He came from a Vietnamese kung fu background and was able to successfully transition through San Shou to the pro MMA circuits.

1692126701757.jpeg

Josh Schafer is someone I really like, he teaches Mantis, Tai Chi Chuan, and is a PT, but has a great background in competition San Shou throwing. And I think he has two PhDs in medical stuff. He often gives seminars to different TMA schools. Typical Canadian, always giving.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions