Martial Arts with Large amount of Takedowns?

Talisker

White Belt
Reaction score
Is there a martial art that contains a large amount of takedowns other than the obvious Judo/Jiu Jitsu/MMA.

By takedowns I am thinking for self defence purposes getting the other person onto the ground would be a good way to be able to either run off and not have them catch you or control them from an advantageous position.

So do any striking martial arts have it where a significant component of the art is to get the person down to the ground?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Because they are not striking arts. And I was hoping there was arts I was unaware of.
Fair enough.

Have you heard of kudo?

By the way striking arts with take downs tend to be really hard work.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Old style Okinawan karate (when taught by a knowledgeable sensei) has takedowns in conjunction with striking. Many of the kata have 2-4 takedowns in addition to whatever others the school teaches. There are also breaks and locks to be found. Old style karate has all this as standard features inherent in the art. But I would say that such karate is still 85% striking.

Much of the grappling was removed from the karate curriculum in Japan during the 1930's so there would be a clearcut difference between karate and judo, protecting the longer established (and politically connected) Judo's turf.

Last edited:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is there a martial art that contains a large amount of takedowns other than the obvious Judo/Jiu Jitsu/MMA.

By takedowns I am thinking for self defence purposes getting the other person onto the ground would be a good way to be able to either run off and not have them catch you or control them from an advantageous position.

So do any striking martial arts have it where a significant component of the art is to get the person down to the ground?
Where do you live? Some of us may have recommendations if we know anything in your area

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
In our escrima / combat judo we have many take downs and throws

Eskrido de Alcuizar
Buena Park CA
World Eskrido Federation

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score

Striking arts? I think of san shou which is Chinese kung fu kickboxing. The goal isnt to get a takedown but takedowns count and the whole goal Is to knock or throw your opponent off the tier. Imagine kickboxing but on a stage and trying to knock your opponent off the stage. Muay thai does contain some stand up grappling but it's mostly from the clinch. Alot of sweeping kicks too. Now those are the 2 Main ones I think of as striking arts with takedowns. There's takedowns in alot of karate styles too but striking is usually the primary focus. Styles like shotokan the founder actually cross trained in judo and incorporated a few techniques from that. Now for grappling arts other than judo and jiu jitsu you have hapkido, aikido, Chinese wrestling it's actually called something else but I forget how to spell it kung fu Wang practices it. Catch wrestling, amateur wrestling, hayastan, lots of other arts have takedowns and striking but emphasis striking more but still teach and practice takedowns. Sambo is also good,Kinda like judo but with wrestling techniques too thrown in. Luta livre is also good if you can find it it's kind of like no gi bjj but with a catch wrestling angle. If your goal is to strike mainly but also take someone to the ground kempo/kenpo is good too. You would learn alot of striking, grab defenses and takedowns too. But they usually want to take someone down and stay standing while opponent is on the ground. Lots of joint locks too. Hope this helped.

J. Pickard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
yeah, a lot do actually. I would even go as far to say that MOST martial arts, outside of their sport ruleset, include some level of takedowns. Taekwondo, karate, wrestling, pankration, various types of kung fu, FMA. The sky is the limit!

Last edited:

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
yeah, a lot do actually. I would even go as far to say that MOST martial arts, outside of their sport ruleset, include some level of takedowns. Taekwondo, karate, wrestling, pankration, various types of kung fu, FMA. The sky is the limit!
I agree with what you're saying. Every art I trained in minus boxing or kickboxing had takedown techniques, some more than others but they were there even in tkd.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with what you're saying. Every art I trained in minus boxing or kickboxing had takedown techniques, some more than others but they were there even in tkd.
That's because boxing and kickboxing are not martial arts. They are martial sports, rather like fencing. So the entire system is limited to what's allowed under the rules of their sport. I don't think anyone really expects a fencer to sweep the leg...
Martial arts that include a sports aspect (which is most) limit the sport side of things to a subset of the art. How big a subset varies.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
yeah, a lot do actually. I would even go as far to say that MOST martial arts, outside of the sport ruleset, include some level of takedowns. Taekwondo, karate, wrestling, pankration, various types of kung fu, FMA. The sky is the limit!
It's easier to look at from this angle.

How may throwing skills does your MA system have that you can use your right leg to attack the

- outside of your opponent's right leg?
- inside of your opponent's right leg?
- inside of your opponent's left leg?
- outside of your opponent's left leg?

Also, how many throwing skills that your MA system have that you can use when you are:

- in front of your opponent?
- behind of your opponent?

Can you find at least 1 throwing technique in each category? What's the total number of your count?

Last edited:

senseidave2005

White Belt
Reaction score
Shaolin Kempo Has many take downs, and from a self defense standing we are 70% hands 30% feet, syllabus focuses on the take downs and grappling blended with the punch or kick set up. very well rounded art. Ive trained in SKK for 32 years no complaints here.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That's because boxing and kickboxing are not martial arts. They are martial sports, rather like fencing. So the entire system is limited to what's allowed under the rules of their sport. I don't think anyone really expects a fencer to sweep the leg...
Martial arts that include a sports aspect (which is most) limit the sport side of things to a subset of the art. How big a subset varies.
I disagree, I consider boxing a Martial Art. Kickboxing, no, not to my mind.

Yamabushii

Green Belt
Reaction score

Japanese Jujutsu includes both strikes and takedowns, however, JJJ schools are far and few in between and even from those, you'll want to make sure you have a good teacher with a grasp on modern styles of fighting. The problem with most JJJ schools is that they're too traditional/koryu focused, but check out Valente Brothers and their affiliates Home.

I can tell you that what you do not want to do is pick up a primarily striking art with just a few takedowns, because learning takedowns is quite literally an art on its own. It's not a skillset you want to learn with a limited arsenal, because there are a lot of micromovements you have to learn to take people's balance while in various positions and then deciding which throw works best. It's not as simple as getting close to someone and initiating a throw/takedown, there are a lot of factors to consider.

I would consider Judo as well, and then taking a separate class for striking such as Muay Thai or Boxing, but Muay Thai is great for learning how to get close to your opponent, which makes it easier to go for a takedown.

Latest Discussions