Martial arts for self defense

Status
Not open for further replies.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Usually when a guy comes on the internet to spout about how tough he is, it is a pretty safe bet, he is no match for the police. However, carry on... :)
It's even better in person. How quick they change their tune when I unpin my badge from my shirt and start taking off my gun belt

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
what's that have to do with anything we have no elephants here so

Just making up scenarios to prove a point. Like your PCP scenario. If you can't beat an elephant in a street fight it shows your martial arts is flawed.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
You pretending to eye poke someone or pretending to squeeze their testicles? Or do you actually train with real eye poking and real testicle kicking?

By real, you mean that your school pretends to eye poke and pretend to kick at testicles right?

If you think that the only difference between a self defense martial art and a sport martial art is eye poking and groin striking then you either have a limited imagination or don't know the first thing about self defense martial arts. Or both.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just making up scenarios to prove a point. Like your PCP scenario. If you can't beat an elephant in a street fight it shows your martial arts is flawed.
except PCP is real and we deal with it all the time here so...

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It happens even in non-contact sparring. I once accidentally knocked out a black belt candidate with a spinning heel kick.

Ouch! I've been KO'd twice, both times my own fault for not defending/attacking properly. It's not that bad, what I hate is liver shots, they make you feel really ill. We have a fighter who when sparring goes for your head a lot to make you put your hands up higher then drops you with a liver shot, it isn't even a hard shot more like a slap but oh dear, it's really not nice.

As for the military joining MMA, ours are encouraged to do martial arts as a sport, the powers that be like competitive sports like martial arts, rugby, football etc because it encourages fighting spirit. they really don't have a lot of use for hand to hand combat. Ours are encouraged to do martial arts because the commanding officers hope that the squaddies will do their fighting there and not in public, doesn't really work though as our lot love scrapping. Certain regiments are known for being scrappers, notably the Celtic ones.

Squaddies will even fight cars............ :D

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you think that the only difference between a self defense martial art and a sport martial art is eye poking and groin striking then you either have a limited imagination or don't know the first thing about self defense martial arts. Or both.

That is the big sell. Self defence has no rules so they have some sort of advantage.

Which they may have if they could actually fight.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I'm pretty sure he means that the typical argument against sport MAs is that they don't practice those "dirty techniques" thus they are not effective on "da streetz".

The reality is that if I can throw you onto your head, or choke you to death with my legs while laying on my back, then scratching you in the face or yanking your hair is literally child's play in comparison.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
except PCP is real and we deal with it all the time here so...

I have delt with people pinging off their heads. You don't have a monopoly on bad guys on drugs.

There is not a self defence method that gives you any more advantage that anything else.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
Double post

Double Post.jpg

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Especially if your opponent is made out of straw.

Well that's the thing; In sport/competitive MAs we tend to test our techniques against living opponents.

That doesn't happen in many traditional MAs. So what happens is you get pretty forms;

But when the rubber meets the road......

As you said; If your opponent is made out of straw, all that kata stuff would work out just fine. When you attempt to apply it to someone trying to punch you in the face, things start falling apart.

Last edited:

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have delt with people pinging off their heads. You don't have a monopoly on bad guys on drugs.

There is not a self defence method that gives you any more advantage that anything else.
Well PCP is totally different then most other drugs but Its just 1 example of many that you don't prepare for playing in the ring. Mental health issues, other drugs, weapons, multiple attackers, someone really trying to kill you not just trying to "win", your own level of intoxication, environmental issues. So again it's not the self defense method its the mind set. If you really believe the mat is just as good as real life then your in for a rude awakening when you start tapping and the guy laughs and then doesn't stop.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well that's the thing; In sport/competitive MAs we tend to test our techniques against living opponents.

That doesn't happen in many traditional MAs. So what happens is you get pretty forms;

But when the rubber meets the road......

As you said; If your opponent is made out of straw, all that kata stuff would work out just fine. When you attempt to apply it to someone trying to punch you in the face, things start falling apart.
i,was waiting for your kata bashing to start

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well PCP is totally different then most other drugs but Its just 1 example of many that you don't prepare for playing in the ring. Mental health issues, other drugs, weapons, multiple attackers, someone really trying to kill you not just trying to "win", your own level of intoxication, environmental issues. So again it's not the self defense method its the mind set. If you really believe the mat is just as good as real life then your in for a rude awakening when you start tapping and the guy laughs and then doesn't stop.

And you honestly believe that you develop that street mindset in Goju Ryu karate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions