Martial Arts are Witchcraft, just ask this guy!

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
We had a woman who told us she didn't want her son to bow to the flags because "that's idol worship". I explained that it was a coutesy. A sign of respect. Akin to shaking hands or saluting the flag in a parade. And that such respect is required. She didn't bring him back.
I feel sorry for the kid.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
We had a woman who told us she didn't want her son to bow to the flags because "that's idol worship". I explained that it was a coutesy. A sign of respect. Akin to shaking hands or saluting the flag in a parade. And that such respect is required. She didn't bring him back.
I feel sorry for the kid.

I understand that is a belief of the Jehovah's Witnesses, along with not serving the the military of their country, nor accepting blood transfusions.

I also understand that Zen is a variation of Buddhism, and that it was incorporated into the study of some of the martial arts. Aikidoists that I have seen always bow to the picture of their founder before and at the close of class; which might be viewed as more than a simple custom in many people's eyes.

Understand that most if not all major religions are exclusive. That is, they do not accept any the practice of any other religion as possibly co-existent with their own. Further, they understand many practices of other religions are in violation of their own beliefs.

In the Christianity of the Bible, one must follow the teachings of the Bible. There is no other belief system that can provide salvation. Anything that is not of God is necessarily of Satan. In Christianity, and many other religions it seems, it can be no other way. With that in mind, go back and read Tony Dismukes post above. Agree or disagree, it may at least provide some insight.

The post given by the OP, looks very close to some of the same things in Larson's New Book of Cults, reference martial arts. FWIW, I don't personally agree that a MA is a cult just because it is an MA. Some MA may be, but it doesn't mean all are. Back in the mid-60s, Jhoon Goo Rhee was a member of the Unification (Moonie) Church, which is generally considered a cult. He in no way tried to proselytize his students, in fact was quite reluctant to do so if asked. He was a very excellent teacher of TKD, but not a proselytizer of his religion. What he is or isn't now I don't know.

My GM in the Hapkido I studied was a Christian, specifically a Baptist. He was an incredible teacher of Hapkido. Religion never came into his teaching, even remotely, other than a time or two when he and I were doing something not related to either Hapkido or religion, he might break into a hymn. We were expected to bow to the flag and to the dojang on entering. It was a sign of respect on the same order as a salute or handshake. Nothing religious about it. We would bow to the teacher and other students at appropriate times, again like a salute or handshake. If it had been otherwise, I would not have done it. I suspect many people here at MT would feel the same.

I guess my point is to say I don't agree all MA are religious cults. Larson and others seem to believe so. That is their prerogative. I don't happen to believe as they do, and I suspect they are reading things into what they may have seen or heard, but without real understanding. And to answer the OP, no, I am not put off in any way. There are many people who are ignorant about many things. Mostly their beliefs don't affect me, so why take it personally.

EDIT: I meant to add that your title is rather sensationalist. There is no mention of witchcraft in what you quoted.

Last edited:

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I listen to Christian radio on the grave shift, and that is when they pull out all the stops. LOL But anyways, the last show I listened too was about trying to eliminate luck from your life: Don't say or wish good luck; don't knock on wood; don't even think about it!!! LOL Luck is evil :)

It's not luck or evil if you're using Jody Rogers' 3 Fold Miracle Blessing Oil.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Can't we all just sidekick for Jesus? Or head butt for Buddah? I mean, heck, I don't think they'd mind.

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i must be seriously possessed then judging by that OP cos i get into a cage once week for a proper rumble ;)

McDemons united :)

by the way is that OP for real ????? cos i've never heard such an amount of total BS spouted in one set of paragraphs - ever :) gotta be a troll post surely.............

MartialMellow

Green Belt
Reaction score
There are some Christians who think martial arts are bad because of the zen, TM, or other Eastern religions, but there are many, including myself, who participate without the zen, etc. I am just a beginner, but I have met black belts who are Christian. I am not sure where the author is coming from.:idunno:

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
_BiyORN__mk___KGrHqIH_CIEs8u4_hQ9BLQsVNsC2w___1.JPG

Me might not have tapped but he did get nailed. :)

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This isn't surprising. I've seen and heard a bit against martial arts over the years from a few sources...

1) People who believe that grand masters are somehow ascended above normal human beings. Typically when I hear things like "any technique a grandmaster would use in self defense would kill the other person, so they hire body guards to defend them instead" I roll my eyes. It's not as bad as this, but it does promote mysticism.

2) People who do not understand that bowing in Eastern cultures is a sign of respect, not a sign of worship. Bowing to a flag or instructor in an Asian martial art is a sign of respect, you are not breaking any Commandments by doing so.

3) A lot of martial arts are not just a combat sport, but are rooted in culture. Many TMAs have meditation and philosophies built on Eastern religions, some instructors ingrain those bits of culture into their classes more than others. I think this is the one that really goes back to Tony's post up above: it's different, and therefore "evil".

4) Movies don't help. Movies with wirework, named techniques that have mystical properties, etc. etc. do not help this stigma (and I don't watch them).

I mean, don't get me wrong, this guy is nuts. But there are a lot of people who attribute mystical qualities to martial arts because of what they've heard and seen over the years.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I wish practicing kata or bunkai would lead to superpowers or perfection but so far the closest thing to perfect is just extra training and effort

Then I guess to this guy pressure points(specifically the miscellaneous points) and other training of the sort are the demons work at hand

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, I thought everyone knew that we practice black magic in our schools.

The Magician's Network Self-Defense System: The Art of Destruction

Wow, at first I couldn't decide whether "Master Bristol" was a comic book writer pitching script ideas or an exceptionally deluded nutjob. Then I read more and realized that he has to be a satirist intent on mocking crazypants martial arts websites the way Master Ken mocks pompous McDojo owners.

The sad thing is that some folks are crazy enough that the satire barely goes far enough to distinguish itself from its target.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wow, at first I couldn't decide whether "Master Bristol" was a comic book writer pitching script ideas or an exceptionally deluded nutjob. Then I read more and realized that he has to be a satirist intent on mocking crazypants martial arts websites the way Master Ken mocks pompous McDojo owners.

The sad thing is that some folks are crazy enough that the satire barely goes far enough to distinguish itself from its target.

May the bird of paradise fly up you nose and the fleas of a thousand camels inhabit your clothing. I was so looking forward to studying with this great grand master. And now you have burst my bubble.

Shame on you sir!

:boing1: :boing1: :boing1:

blackxpress

Green Belt
Reaction score
Sad. Even sadder is that there are a lot of American Christians who think this way. I started training in a small town in the North Georgia mountains and we dealt with this kind of crap on a regular basis. The fundamentalists in our community were worried that we were teaching kids some kind of alternative spirituality. We were not of course. The truth is there is a Zen Buddhist and Taoist influence in some of the Asian martial arts but that doesn't make them demonic. Some of the old masters thought of kata as a form of Zen meditation but so what? I've studied Zen but that doesn't make me a devil worshipper. In fact, I am a Presbyterian pastor and a very committed Christian. We fear that which we fail to understand. If Zen teaches me how to find a deeper level of harmony with my natural surroundings I don't see how that's a bad thing. It doesn't keep me from loving Jesus. Just to be clear I am not a Zen practitioner and, as of right now, I am a student of Kyokushin karate which is more about fighting than anything spiritual. If there is anything cult like about Kyokushin it is the absolute devotion of its practitioners to the art itself. Osu!

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sad. Even sadder is that there are a lot of American Christians who think this way. I started training in a small town in the North Georgia mountains and we dealt with this kind of crap on a regular basis. The fundamentalists in our community were worried that we were teaching kids some kind of alternative spirituality. We were not of course. The truth is there is a Zen Buddhist and Taoist influence in some of the Asian martial arts but that doesn't make them demonic. Some of the old masters thought of kata as a form of Zen meditation but so what? I've studied Zen but that doesn't make me a devil worshipper. In fact, I am a Presbyterian pastor and a very committed Christian. We fear that which we fail to understand. If Zen teaches me how to find a deeper level of harmony with my natural surroundings I don't see how that's a bad thing. It doesn't keep me from loving Jesus. Just to be clear I am not a Zen practitioner and, as of right now, I am a student of Kyokushin karate which is more about fighting than anything spiritual. If there is anything cult like about Kyokushin it is the absolute devotion of its practitioners to the art itself. Osu!

It IS sad how it always seems to be Christians. I can't think of an example where a Muslim pulled their child out of a martial arts school for religious reasons.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
It IS sad how it always seems to be Christians. I can't think of an example where a Muslim pulled their child out of a martial arts school for religious reasons.

How many Christian students have you had versus Muslim students?

EDIT: And is that part of your application form to declare a religious preference?

My point being, be careful about generalizations. Even if you asked for preferences, how would you know the student was what he or she represented themselves to be?

Last edited:

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
How many Christian students have you had versus Muslim students?

It was just meant as an example to show how no other religion seems to flip out like this. If the choice of religion matters, fine: I have never seen JEWISH parents pull their kids out for religion reasons.

Latest Discussions