Martial Arts and Entertainers

Darrencowan

Green Belt
Reaction score
Many great entertainment legends have studied MA. Elvis, Kareem, Glenn Danzig, Def Leppard...etc. I just got off the phone doing an interview with death metal legend, Chris Barnes. Barnes is one of the oldest, most respected artists in the biz. You can see him on Ace Ventura. Anyhow, he is very in tune with the universe, with the chi, the life force. He has studied under one of Dan Inosanto's students in JKD. He knows about Sanchin Ryu. In fact, he had to recently exercise Sanchin breathing (whatever he terms it, I call it that based on my own experiences), to stop a possible fight.

He's a very intelligent guy who totally understands dualism, the Yin Yang. Very, very, very interesting man. That interview will be up on metalunderground.com.

Attachments

• 20130710-DSC_0315.jpg
    20130710-DSC_0315.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 249

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I wouldn't call Elvis a martial artist at all. Look at the guy training on YouTube. My dog moves better than him. He was given his black belt.

A lot of these famous people train it simply for a movie or a little boost in their profile or so they can say they do it. Most don't take it seriously

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Def leppard whipped Danzig, who was supposed to be a tough dude who learns JKD.

Well, I'll look that up. At the I was just in awe of how Rick Allen had to endure and overcome his loss of his left arm. It was said at the time I believe, that he bacame a better drummer.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
He looks ok to me. One thing about running a dojo and a style is you need personalities. You need people who will bring the masses to you. Elvis was that, and he also gave his master a Cadillac. lol
You serious? He looked like garbage

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
The Osman family trained with Chuck Norris and Bob barker. Ed O'Neil is a bjj black belt. Willy Nelson just got his 5th dan. Blanket statements about being serious? There just people like everyone else.

OP
Darrencowan

Darrencowan

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well, I'll look that up. At the I was just in awe of how Rick Allen had to endure and overcome his loss of his left arm. It was said at the time I believe, that he bacame a better drummer.

Here is a good article on Phil Collin from the CNN of metal (I have a few articles on this site). I've also read an article with him in Black Belt Magazine. Dude has slick karate and Tai Know Do skills. DEF LEPPARD's PHIL COLLEN Joins The Fight Against Childhood Obesity

OP
Darrencowan

Darrencowan

Green Belt
Reaction score
The Osman family trained with Chuck Norris and Bob barker. Ed O'Neil is a bjj black belt. Willy Nelson just got his 5th dan. Blanket statements about being serious? There just people like everyone else.

Interesting, thank you for sharing. I didn't know Willie received his Go Dan. Willie is the man! I will smoke with him before he passes!

Ed O'Neil, as in, Al Bundy?

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Interesting, thank you for sharing. I didn't know Willie received his Go Dan. Willie is the man! I will smoke with him before he passes!

Ed O'Neil, as in, Al Bundy?
Yes AL bundy.
He's friends with the Gracie family.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Being a metal guy, I'm surprised you didn't mention Tom Araya. 2nd dan in Shorin Ryu Matsumura Karate. His wife and kids train too.

OP
Darrencowan

Darrencowan

Green Belt
Reaction score
Being a metal guy, I'm surprised you didn't mention Tom Araya. 2nd dan in Shorin Ryu Matsumura Karate. His wife and kids train too.

I did not know that. Thank you. I will bring it up to Tom when I interview him some day in the future (Slayyyyyyyyer)

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dave Mustaine has black belts in TKD and Karate. He trained under Benny the Jet in Ukidokan.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Again, it's not what I think, it's what those who worked out with him thought. Yeah, I think he looks good. He got his black belt from Ed Parker. Nothing too shabby about that.
Yeah his friends who worship the air he breathes and yeah ed Parker worked for him he was his bodyguard so of course he'll pass him and of course Elvis gave him a car . Just don't believe everything you read. He was a 7th or 8th dan right? Well to get an 8th dan in kenpo you have to wait 8 years /after/ getting your 7th so that's not including all the other years so threes no way he earned it legitimately

Latest Discussions