Martial arts and body art.

spatulahunter

Green Belt
Reaction score
Any one on the board have any piercings? I no longer do because I was afraid that in class they may get ripped out. I had 0 guage holes in my ears and had some cartiledge piercings.
Now that i have been going to class for a while im starting to think that i might be a little safer than i originally thought to have some piercings as long as i am careful to remeber and remove them before class.
Any one else have any experiences on this topic?

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I had simple multiple cartiledge piercings in my ears and was going to have my navel pierced - but I removed my ear piercings for any judo or grappling we might do and have left out the cartiledge ones - they are starting to heal over already.

I may forego the navel piercing too.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I removed all my earrings, and my nipple ring. Last thing I wanted was for somthing to tear.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have my naval pierced. I have yet to catch it on anything or have anyone pull at it.

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I had a friend who had navel ring ripped out in a kick-boxing match. She no longer wears any piercings while training for her safety and partners. Guy who kicked it out got it lodged in his foot, infection set in - bad story.

People shouldn't be wearing any piercing during training if they care about their training partners.

S

SMP

I have had a nipple piercing for over 7 years now. At first I would tape it to make sure it didnt get cought during classes. Then I realized I probably wouldnt have time to tape it on the street. Since it is under a shirt during classes I dont worry so much about my partners safety.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mmmmm. . . . . peircings. They beg for me to grab and tear. I once hooked my fiance's navel ring with a practice karambit and led her around the school with it. I got a huge kick out of it, she wasn't amused, but she learned a very valuble lesson.

Personal rules:
No peircings
No long hair
No loose clothes
No sandals, flip-flops or open toed shoes
All these things are needless liabilities.

OP
S

spatulahunter

Green Belt
Reaction score
OULobo said:
mmmmm. . . . . peircings. They beg for me to grab and tear. I once hooked my fiance's navel ring with a practice karambit and led her around the school with it. I got a huge kick out of it, she wasn't amused, but she learned a very valuble lesson.

Personal rules:
No peircings
No long hair
No loose clothes
No sandals, flip-flops or open toed shoes
All these things are needless liabilities.

maybe they are for you but martial arts are to complement my life. I dont plan every aspect of my life and outfit around preparing for a fight, if i did i would always wear a cup, steel toe boots, and carry an assortment of weapons.
And if someone stomped your tennis shoes you wouldnt have much more protection that you would get from a pair of sandals....your feet would still be crushed.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
We're not allowed any jewelry in class. That includes earrings, rings, bracelets, necklaces, or chains, watches, or piercings. They are too dangerous and you risk getting hurt or someone catching on something and hurting themselves. TW

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
We're not allowed any jewelry in class. That includes earrings, rings, bracelets, necklaces, or chains, watches, or piercings. They are too dangerous and you risk getting hurt or someone catching on something and hurting themselves. TW
Same here, if anyone is wearing jewellry in class results in the whole class doing pressups.

Raewyn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sarah said:
Same here, if anyone is wearing jewellry in class results in the whole class doing pressups.
That all depends on what sort of mood our instructor is in!!!!!

Raewyn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sarah said:
Its New Zealand for a PUSH UP
I think we're going to have to teach these guys proper english if they're ever going to understand our lingo!!!!!! lol

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
spatulahunter said:
maybe they are for you but martial arts are to complement my life. I dont plan every aspect of my life and outfit around preparing for a fight, if i did i would always wear a cup, steel toe boots, and carry an assortment of weapons.
And if someone stomped your tennis shoes you wouldnt have much more protection that you would get from a pair of sandals....your feet would still be crushed.

Well, I do where steel toes often and I carry an assortment of weapons always. I also often wear a cup if I'm going to a high risk event, like a concert, night club, pool hall, ect. I do live martial arts all day all the time. and the restriction on sandals is for movement and running purposes, which do not lend themselves to a hasty retreat with pursuit or good traction when leveling a punch or kick. It is not because I want to reduce damage from getting stomped.

Latest Discussions