Martial Artists with Guns: how did you start?

SeanKerby

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I do not hunt, unless you count people. I am not against hunting and I'm not a tree hugger, I just dont do it because I dont have time. I have been into martial arts for years, never worried about firearms other than the occasional shooting trip my uncle would take me on. Then came the military and I got real big into projectile weapons. In Nami Ryu and the resulting System of Strategy, we believe all weapons are related. My primary wpns in battle are an M4 rifle and the M9 pistol. As a back up I carry a Hissatsu OR a folder. You have to train with whatever wpn you have. I look at it in the same way my martial arts have progressed. I went from TKD to MMA to JSA. I utilize them all daily. As for quality instruction, it not hard to find if your in the right place.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Boy Scouts was where I started, learning how to shoot paper targets mounted on hay bales, with an air rifle. At first, disappointing indeed, since my mechanics were terrible, but after some kind-hearted instruction from one of the counselors, I ended up peppering that bullseye more often than not.

Once everyone was familiar with air rifle training (and qualified in terms of safety and accuracy), we moved onto .22 LR training, using bolt-action rifles, one cartridge at a time. That was some of the most fun I had when I was that age.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Boy Scouts for me as well. We started with 22LR bolt action and blackpowder rifles. When I was an Explorer (LE) Scout the officers taught us to shoot on Colt Pythons, running target .38 loads. Just to be funny, they'd toss in a .357 magnum every once in a while. This was late 80's, by '90 the department had converted to S&W autos.

Lamont

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Definitely, guns were first! I was raised around guns. My father owned several guns when I was a young child and we would go and target shoot with them. I was taught about gun safety (initially) using a BB gun (daisy pal), later it was pellet rifles, then shotguns, high powered rifles, handguns, and military surplus guns. I enjoy them all. The martial arts came along far later for me. My 11 yo son has been around them since he has been old enough to hold a gun. At 7 yo he was shooting my SW .45ACP and Ruger 1022 at the gun range and later the SKS. He enjoys shooting them all as well. Now it is paintball, he has his own marker (gun).

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Was an MA first..The guns came later when I became a cop..

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Grew up in a firearms household. Father, uncle on my fathers side, uncle on my mothers side, cousins close to my age,younger nephews, were all avid shooters. Martial Arts started maybe 6 years later? Together they take up a majority of my free time. I will be teaching my daughter soon using my old 10/22 that my dad taught me how to shoot with.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
I grew up with guns. In fact, my dad (ex-military, ex-LEO) taught me to shoot before I learned how to ride a bike (I think I was about 6 the first time I fired a "real" gun, I'd shot air rifles before that). I've been doing it ever since.

Explorer

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Martial Arts first. Guns later, when I became and instructor and discovered that many of our students were afraid of them. It made sense to me that we should understand them if we were to successfully defend against them. Now I own about 10 guns and soot regularly. I have my carry permit and a couple of great instructors. In the next year or two I intend to enjoy some of the practical pistol tournaments.

It's a lot more fun than I thought it would be ... kinda like MA and golf mixed together with really loud noises.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My father collected guns, so I ended up having and shooting my first rifle, a .22 rolling block, when I was four years old. So guns first for my by a long shot. I didn't get involved in the martial arts till I was about 13 and started Shorin Ryu, then Kyokishin Kai after moving. Then was in the U.S. Army for a number of years and that just kept my interest in firearms growing. Now I primarily work with firearms as injuries I sustained while in the Army are keeping me from practicing the Japanese Ju-Jitsu that I'd been studying. I have a pretty good collection now, ranging from hunting rifles, handguns of all sorts, and tactical carbines and rifles, a couple of automatic weapons, and one obligatory shotgun.

JeffJ

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was brought up with guns in the house (rifles) and hunting was something I learned early in life.
I started shooting handguns when a student of mine who was a police officer asked if I wanted to learn.
I bought my first handgun during the LA riots ( many emts carried on their person or in the cab during that time)

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's funny to see this thread and see my responses from years ago. I've spent quite a bit of time shooting and training since then, and I have aquired more equiptment as well, I am happy to say. :)

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Started MA around the same time I got a BB gun - does that count? :)

I used rifles and shotguns as a kid a little bit - just enough to be able to hunt with my dad once a year, but when I turned 21, I was required to learn to shoot a pistol for my Bando Blackbelt. I'm still not a great gun expert or anything, but I am a competent shot and I like it. I want to shoot with my wife - who is a LEO, but all we have at home is my shotgun and her service piece, so we're looking to get another pistol to shoot with.

Latest Discussions