Martial Art Report for School

Aikikitty

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have an end-of-the-semester 15 minute oral presentation to give in my Business Communication class next Friday. I finally decided to talk about martial arts, and I've been working on it inbetween other college projects off and on. I've already done a bunch of searches on this and other martial art forums for history information and I've already found a few great threads. I think that there is someplace on this forum several threads from other people writing reports on martial arts and asking for links, but I couldn't find any of those threads.

Now I realize that there is just so much information that I could easily go over my time limit (which is okay to do, but standing in front of people is one of my biggest fears so I want to get it over with), but does anyone have any advice or input for me? Should I add something, leave something out, etc. Or if anyone has any useful links containing history of any of the arts, please share! Like I mentioned above, I've already found a few threads, but the more I have the better! I also have to use 3 different visual aids or PowerPoint. I plan to use PowerPoint and maybe show a picture of the founder of the art or maybe a picture of someone or two people doing that art, etc.

Here is my general outline:

· Introduction to martial arts
· Many martial arts; many differences
· Mention several different martial arts from the following countries, but focus on one from each selected country
· Kung Fu—one of the oldest (?), most famous martial arts, different styles, fluidity…benefits—China
· Karate---origins, founder (?), different styles, focuses on…, Okinawa
· Aikido---History, O Sensei, differences from other arts, focuses on…--Japan
· Tae Kwon Do---similar to Karate, but focuses more on kicks, history, Olympic, Korea
· Brazilian Jujutsu---Gracie, history, differences, revolutionize, Brazil
· *Judo---Jigoro Kano—founder of the color belt system?
· There is a martial art for everybody, benefits, things to look for, things to watch out for, Mcdojo, differences in ranking, uniforms, famous people have started their own styles (Chuck Norris, Bruce Lee)

Thanks for any help or input.
Robyn :asian:

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
you have a good outline and presumably good information to flesh it out. i'm sure you'll do fine.

as somebody who used to do competitive speech and debate, i could give you some advice about presentation. just let me know if you think that would be helpful.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When talking about TKD I would mention the fact the the Korean army was using it way before it evolved into the sport and how the sport has almost all but forgotten the original application to this great Art.

I also would leave the Martial Arts on a positive influence at the end and how it can and will benefit folks in the long run.

Just some ideals.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds great and good luck.
icon14.gif

OP
Aikikitty

Aikikitty

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks guys!

Bushidomartialarts--yes, go ahead and share your knowledge. I have some pointers from my teacher--eye contact, don't be planted in one place, etc, but anything more would be appreciated. :ultracool

Terryl965--that's a great idea about mentioning the Korean Army using Tae Kwon Do. :asian:

Brian--Thanks for the encouragement. :)

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Here is my general outline:

· Introduction to martial arts
· Many martial arts; many differences
· Mention several different martial arts from the following countries, but focus on one from each selected country
· Kung Fu—one of the oldest (?), most famous martial arts, different styles, fluidity…benefits—China
· Karate---origins, founder (?), different styles, focuses on…, Okinawa
· Aikido---History, O Sensei, differences from other arts, focuses on…--Japan
· Tae Kwon Do---similar to Karate, but focuses more on kicks, history, Olympic, Korea
· Brazilian Jujutsu---Gracie, history, differences, revolutionize, Brazil
· *Judo---Jigoro Kano—founder of the color belt system?
· There is a martial art for everybody, benefits, things to look for, things to watch out for, Mcdojo, differences in ranking, uniforms, famous people have started their own styles (Chuck Norris, Bruce Lee)

Thanks for any help or input.

Given your outline, I think you are trying to accomplish way too much for 15 minutes. WAAAAAY too much. I could easily see an hour and preferably two from what you want to cover, to give your topic a thorough coverage. You would have to relegate the entire history and notable figures of each art you want to cover to about 40 seconds each to fit it into 15 minutes.

If I can make a suggestion, what I would find far more interesting is discussing how they relate to each other. The similarities rather than differences, how despite all the names and histories and rivalries martial arts often are far more similar than they are different.

Lamont

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Fifteen minutes is a very short time. You do not want to bore your class with history lessons on the martial arts.

BEST: To share something everyone can use when they leave class. Tell how doing these techniques can save their lives.

Example: Best and most effective techniques ANYONE CAN DO? To protect themselves and love ones. Where to strike? is more than how hard your hit?

Get them interested in your topic!

In situtions up close and if grab or in grabbing distance? This is what you can do?

1. Attack the eyes with your fingers, rake, jab, gouge...

2. palm / hammer fist the nose...up striking.....

3. slap both or one ear...to break the ear drum...

4. strike the throat with hands open in a V shape ...a straight shot..

5.. groin area....show how easy ..upward swing of the arms,fist...

6. If the attacker falls down and you can stump the ankles..break the bones so they cannot chase you.

7. Scream fire or call police....why not use the word "help"..

8. BE CREATED and use lots of examples. (have someone be a model)

9. KISS -( Keep it simple stupid )... easy to understand and do,something everyone in class can learn and take home!

10. Do not cover lots of material...you will bore the class....share just ONE thing ...not a million stuffs. You got just 15 minutes..TEACH SOMETHING USEFUL

Aloha and Enjoy sharing your knowledge........Mahalo

OP
Aikikitty

Aikikitty

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thank you Blindside and Still Learning for the suggestions! Since this topic is so vast, I'm sure all of what I'd hope to cover would way go over the time limit. The outline is a general idea of what I would wish to cover, but when it comes down to compiling all the information, I'm sure through drafts and further editing, the focus would end up being more on one or two things instead of ALL that I had in my outline. Like you both said and I agree, I'd run out of time.

I know all the martial arts have many similarities, but to me, it's much easier and more obvious to point out a few of the things that make them different (or what they emphasize) for the point that anyone can find an art that suits them best. Most people have only heard of Kung Fu, Karate, or Tae Kwon Do and they think they are all the same (call Karate "Kung Fu", etc.). I would hope that they'd realize that there are soooo many arts out there and that they aren't all "the same thing". I'm getting the feeling that I'll end up leaving out the history unless I just say one or two sentences about it for each art.

Still Learning-- I like your #9. My teacher told us about KISS to and I'm glad you reminded me. Your idea for the practical lesson is a great idea, but I don't want to try to explain or demonstrate techniques in class. If I was an instructor and extremely familiar with correctly doing those moves (even though they are easy, I don't want to mess up and mislead them), I'm sure I would.

Keep ideas, suggestions, (and helpful links please) coming! :)

Thanks

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Kung fu history, there is a book all by itself, getting the ACTUAL history of Kung fu cold be a life’s work and likely even then you would not have all of even most of the true origins.

But for a fairly quick over view this is not to bad

http://www.answers.com/topic/chinese-martial-arts

The oldest Chinese martial art in existence today is likely Shuaijiao - Chinese Wrestling

There are also 2 general schools of Chinese martial arts, Internal and External.

Internal styles (Taiji, Xingyi, Bagua, Liu He Ba Fa) are believed to have come from Taoists and External styles (just about every thing else) [ http://www.answers.com/topic/list-of-chinese-martial-arts ] are believed to have come from Buddhist (heavy Shaolin influence in External styles.)

Or at least that is the historical view. There is a whole lot more to this but you want a general paper on Martial Arts so the link I posted should give you pretty much enough info for what you are looking for.

XS

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You can look here for information on TKD from the ITF perspective. Good luck with your presentation!

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi Robyn—I think it would be worth pointing out to your audience that the MAs arose in the context of practical necessity—people having to defend themselves in societies in which violence, and death as a result of violence, were not uncommon, and in which the legal apparatus we take for granted to keep us safe—police, security guards, `Guardian Angel' type outfits, courts and restraining orders and U.S. marshalls and all the rest—simply did not exist. All of the MAs, regardless of style, evolved in response to real need, and represented the best hope for day-to-day survival of the great majority who could not afford armed servants and private armies. The techniques that these different arts comprise are geared towards defense against common assault tactics—grab-and-punch combiations, head butts, groin strikes and a few others—and there's good documentation that these are still the most common ways that street assaults begin.

The various forms and patterns that many of the MAs are built around turn out, on close analysis, to contain very effective and practical responses to these initiating acts of violence, and typically fit well with our instinctive responses. We've gone through phases when this wasn't a particularly fashionable view of the MAs, but the historically attested truth of the matter is that these were systems designed for self-defense and self-preservation first and foremost—practical, usable and versatile sets of combat techniques built on sound biomechanical and strategic principles. There are non-trivial differences in styles, just as there are—for example—major differences among human languages; but at the same time, there are deep resemblances amongst these different styles, just as there are amongst languages. The differences are often just differences in emphasis...

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm with Exile on that one, the others are right, 15 minutes is a short time but when you are talking it seems like forever until you are finished.

You have some very good information here.

I don't know what your teacher has told you about presenting but you might want to have some visual aids, maybe a few things you can pass round. A picture of a traditional white uniform behind you might be good along with some different uniforms in use, and someone in ordinary jogging pants type stuff to show not everyone uses a uniform.

You might want to have various pictures of people doing techniques in different arts, a list of dates of noted events (e.g. 1955 the founding of Taekwon-Do) on the wall behind you, photos of different belts, or maybe borrow some belts to pass round if you know someone that's got some old ones.

Use different media if you can, maybe a flip chart to write on as you speak (never turn your back to audience, writing with your hand under the words and side on to the audience makes your writing straighter anyway - same goes for blackboards) save a couple of minutes for YOU to ask the people in the audience before you start if they do an MA or know anyone who does an MA. You can use them to point out during your speach. E.g. "Kung Fu, like John's father does, is....." Connect your audience in.

Sorry if i'm re-telling what your teacher has said but MA's can be very good for this type of presentation, people have so much experience of them and there's plenty of things you can get your hands on to enrich your talk. Prepare well and you will make a great impression.

OP
Aikikitty

Aikikitty

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey,

Thank you very much Kacey, exile, and Shaderon for the ideas and information! They are very helpful.

Exile---that sounds like a very good point you made--the necessity of the arts and how they arose (briefly stated). I could put that in my intro and maybe lead into the times today and how it's important to learn how to defend yourself as much as possible and other benefits. And then go a little into those arts and you can find one suited for you, etc.

Shaderon--Yes, I am going to use PowerPoint. My teacher has been telling us of the different visual aids we could use and warned us to not turn our backs on the audience. We could either use 3 different visual aids or PowerPoint to cover everything. I thought PowerPoint would be easier, but I considered pulling out my belt or hakama if I got on the topic of uniforms, but I'll probably run out of time for that. I think for each art I'll have a picture of someone in uniform doing that martial art on the slides.

There is one guy in my class I know who used to do Tae Kwon Do, but he got his black belt in 2 years or less and told me since he hadn't practiced he forgot anything so he almost felt it was a waste of time. I don't know if I particuarly want him to share that he felt he didn't really learn anything (McDojo or not, if you don't practice, what do you expect?).

Robyn :)

Catalyst

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hi Robyn,
For one of your 3 visual aids - could you do a simple, live demonstration of a technique or two? Not every visual aid has to be on a computer.

For instance, maybe ask the teacher to help you demonstrate a technique and have them grab your wrist. Very slowly and carefully use a simple technique to escape from the wrist grab - nothing too advanced with safety as the first priority.

You could use this to explain that some arts are softer/circular arts that may not use striking as the primary emphasis.

You could then demonstrate a kick, punch or other strike and use this to explain that some arts are harder/linear arts.

A simple demonstration as a visual aid may help to generate interest among the audience.

Just a suggestion

OP
Aikikitty

Aikikitty

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi!

Thanks for the post Catalyst! Sorry for the late reply, but I did use part of your idea (as I mention later). I did my presentation this morning! I was so nervous, but it went very well. I finished in 17 minutes! My teacher is an old army guy and still practices some sort of martial art (he's trained in 4) every day and he thought I did a good job. Out of 150 points I got 140!! :partyon:

Thank you everyone for your ideas and suggestions. I did PowerPoint, but I brought my hakama, belt, and did a short demo of the "unbendable arm" with a student in the Aikido section (to show that it's not about strength, but utilizes a completely different muscle group). So it did use several of you guy's ideas.

This is the new outline (everything I had on PowerPoint--except the pictures). Obviously, I had to leave out a lot, but I talked shortly about each thing and mentioned some extra stuff I thought was important. At the end I emphasized the benefits and encouraged everyone (especially all the women) to at least take a self defense class even if they're not interested in Martial Arts (traditional long term). The styles I talked about, I know that my city has at LEAST 2 schools of each art here.

Created for Self Defense
•Arose out of necessity

•Still important today

•Many benefits

•Many arts for many different people

Tai Chi Chuan
•For all ages
The world’s most popular martial art (tens of millions practitioners in China alone)

•Includes punches, kicks, locks, open-hand techniques, & throws

•Also a great exercise
–Improves strength
–Improves focus

Tae Kwon Do
•Originally practiced by the Korean army, now has many similarities with Karate

•Tae Kwon Do means “way of the fist and foot”

•Defined by it’s kicks but it has a wide range of offensive and defensive techniques (also has throws, sweeps, and joint locks)
Practiced as a martial art or as a sport

Karate

•Means “empty hand”

•Many different styles
–Hard and soft

•Utilizes the whole body in striking/defense

•Self-defense and sport
–“never strike the first blow”

Aikido

•Means “the way of harmonious spirit”

•Circular movements
–Move from the hips, not shoulders

•Throws, joint locks, pressure points, immobilization, multiple attack art

•Strength means nothing!
–Great for smaller people
Takes a long time to learn!

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu •Emphasizes grappling, take downs, leverage, submissions, joint locks, & chokeholds

•Considered by many as a good art for women to learn

•Small person can beat a large person
–May become proficient as soon as in 6 months

Multiple Benefits
•Self-defense
•Concentration
•Awareness
•Self-control
•Self-discipline
•Team work
•Fitness
•Flexibility
•Confidence
•Courtesy
•Strength
•Stamina
Respect
•Calmness of mind
•Relieves stress
•Reduces the need for stimulants (alcohol/drugs)
And many more!

I'm sooooooooo glad it's all over with!!!! It both seemed like I was up there forever and it went by quickly at the same time.

Thank you all again for all your help and support!!!!!

Robyn :asian: :asian: :asian: :asian:

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Looks like a good, solid outline - congratulations on the good grade!

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Congratluations! It's always good to strike a note with the person giving out the marks and it looks like you did it.

Latest Discussions