Martial Art Insurance

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Greetings All,

Anyone know a reputable insurance company that covers MA?

I need a million dollar coverage for a two day seminar.

Thank you.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Greetings All,

Anyone know a reputable insurance company that covers MA?

I need a million dollar coverage for a two day seminar.

Thank you.

We didn't use an insurance company..EVERYBODY had to sign an accident waiver...Try a Google for MA Insurance...

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
We didn't use an insurance company..EVERYBODY had to sign an accident waiver...Try a Google for MA Insurance...
Waivers and insurance are tricky areas of law. In VA, as a result of a ruling many years ago, most people advise that all a waiver does is show that you warned folks; it doesn't really have much effect on liability.

Consult a lawyer and/or insurance agent.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Waivers and insurance are tricky areas of law. In VA, as a result of a ruling many years ago, most people advise that all a waiver does is show that you warned folks; it doesn't really have much effect on liability

It's a little different in Ohio..We make sure EVERYTHING is spelled out..If they don't want to sign, they don't train...

jks9199 said:
Consult a lawyer and/or insurance agent.

Excellent advice..

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
I get my liability insurance for instructing through Don Baldwin at www.karateinsurance.com and I believe he does event insurance also.
I followed Kacey's advice on this awhile back. :asian: It was a good move for me. I, too, think he covers events.

Re: waivers, Carol Kaur posted part one of a two-part article by a couple of attorneys on liability. I was pleasantly surprised at how common-sensical the case law and rulings actually are. I'm sure someone better with computers than I am (which is basically everyone) can post the link to her original post. ;) Or, maybe Carol herself will read this and can post the link.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I followed Kacey's advice on this awhile back. :asian: It was a good move for me. I, too, think he covers events.

Re: waivers, Carol Kaur posted part one of a two-part article by a couple of attorneys on liability. I was pleasantly surprised at how common-sensical the case law and rulings actually are. I'm sure someone better with computers than I am (which is basically everyone) can post the link to her original post. ;) Or, maybe Carol herself will read this and can post the link.

Did you mean this one? Deadly Weapons - How the Law Views the Hands and Feet of an MAist

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In my view, it's important to obtain signed waivers and to also be insured. (As well as running safe classes and events)
As far as I am concerned, if you end up in court, anything can happen.
It can take just one bad accident to close your school for good if you aren't properly protected.

Good luck with the search!!

tsd

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
We also have insurance from Don Baldwin. Classes and events. Signed waiver required for folks to be covered.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
While this may not directly answer your question about getting just a 2-day coverage, have you ever thought about getting your insurance from the AAU? Last I saw, they had some pretty darn good rates.

OP
Hawke

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thank you all for your response.

What's the AAU? You mean the Amateur Athletic Union?

Going to check around for rates. The Los Angeles Convention Center requires that my club has a million dollars libility coverage.

Good idea with the waivers.

Any other tips welcome and appreciated.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Going to check around for rates. The Los Angeles Convention Center requires that my club has a million dollars libility coverage.

Good idea with the waivers.
Not to sound like I'm pimpin this co., but just my experience that karateinsurance.com covers that much routinely, I believe. Also, provides a pretty comprehensive waiver form with your downloads.

tsd

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Not to sound like I'm pimpin this co., but just my experience that karateinsurance.com covers that much routinely, I believe. Also, provides a pretty comprehensive waiver form with your downloads.

You aren't pimpin them.....Look at their client list and I had no issues with a public school system that I thought would be very demanding.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thank you all for your thoughts on this! It was very helpful to me.:asian:

Latest Discussions