Martial art for guy with hips FAI

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
A Buddhist monk approached his teacher and asked the Zen Master, “If I meditate very diligently, how long will it take for me to become enlightened?”

The Master thought for a moment, and then replied, “Ten years.”

The student then said, “But what if I work very, very hard and really apply myself to learn fast. How long then?”

The Master replied, “Well, then it will take twenty years.”

“But if I really, really work at it. How long then?” persisted the student.

“Thirty years,” said the Master.
My sensei told me this story around 1960, though it was in response to, "How long will it take me to get a black belt." Any idea of the original source, or is it just something ingrained in TMA lore?

67.957 years
Only 10 more years to go! You're invited to my red belt party.

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
I would think that a style like Muay Thai would be great. There are, as far as I know, no side kicks in MT.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My sensei told me this story around 1960, though it was in response to, "How long will it take me to get a black belt." Any idea of the original source, or is it just something ingrained in TMA lore?
I think it’s just a generic parable about trying too hard.
Only 10 more years to go! You're invited to my red belt party.
Isn’t red belt 5th Kyu? Dude, you need to up you’re ante a bit.😉

Taiji Rebel

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think it’s just a generic parable about trying too hard.
The black belt version was framed on the wall in the entrance to Unel Wellington's dojo in Swansea, Wales. It's also featured in Joe Hyam's Zen in the Martial Arts if I remember correctly.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi,

I am 43. I was training Judo a bit some years ago. However I wasnt great a it ( started late). I want to train something still cause I like to get sweet and doms :) I teally like lifting weights however its now some kind of boring. But i have A problem with hips( hips clicking and pain when kicking and making side split) I made x Ray and have a bit cam pinger and bad oriented thigh bone in hip sockets.i can do however front kick without amy pain. I can do some kind selfthought of lowkick and side kick to my belt hight.

Is there any MA that doesnt requiere high side kicking? And high kicking and side hips stretching ? Except aikido and judo ?
Maybe I ll return to judo but now I want to train some.more kick/strike MA.

Hi Kiko80,

Some FMA (Filipino Martial Arts) only require low line kicks as they expect a weapon the be on the highlines.
YEs there are some that concentrate on Highline and all over.
Yes some teach it Highline and only require it for the lowline.
Try to find a FMA school or instructor and watch a class.
Also talk to the instructor and see if your injuries / condition is something the would accept for low level kicks.

Good Luck

OP
K

Kiko80

White Belt
Reaction score
Sorry for all, i was to my parents house and had some issues to be done.

I got to idea of maybe trying some other marts( not so highkicks focused)?

- traditional japanese Jujitsu
- krav maga
- Goyu Ryu karate

What do u think of them?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Have you had any rehab for your hips?
Same thing I was thinking. Get that hip fixed. If it's a bad alignment then it's only a mater of finding someone who can put it back in proper alignment.

Latest Discussions