Martial Art Books

D

Despairbear

Greetings all,
Here is my question for you; How do you feel about martial art books and vidoes?
A fellow in my dojo I was talking to is of the opinion that books and videos are totaly useless. He's claims that unless you have a sensi you can not learn a martial art. Personaly I feel that martial arts books and videos are a usefull adjunct to your training but that they should not be the sole apect of your training.

Despair Bear

OP
G

GouRonin

Are useful tools. They should be used in conjunction with your teacher. However it is not impossible to learn an art by video., just that there are nuances that will be missed. Also it'd be hard to do them without a partner.

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I agree with GouRonin. Books and videos are useful, but as a supplement to being taught by a knowledgeable instructor. It's very easy to get things wrong if you're going only by books and/or videos. However, they can be quite helpful for reminding you what you've learned and with books you can add your own notes right in next to the techniques and what not. I love having books as reminders and clarifiers. Sometimes the photos and descriptions can help me get something I only sort of got in class since our instructor teaches mainly by "copy what I do". I do OK that way, but it's not my ideal learning method and the books can help me out. So at least the three of us who posted so far agree -- books and videos are useful as tools/supplements, but shouldn't be used to replace instruction by a real, live teacher.

OP
I

Icepick

I've gotten some good techniques from videos, but definitely as a supplement to quality instruction. I think you will always miss the subtleties without either a good teacher or a lot of experience yourself.

I've never really gotten much from a martial arts book. I bought all of Remy's, but mostly to support him. I think it's too hard to learn a technique from those stop-action descriptions:

1.) Foolish attacker (left) throws right handed roundhouse at 8th degree black belt, Max Action.

2.) Super Ultra Sensei Action deflects the blow with his earlobe, while simultaneously kicking the groin, breaking all 10 of his opponents fingers, and tearing out his throat with his incisors.

3.) Foolish attacker gurgles for medical help.

There's always too much happening in between for still photos. Video gives you that, at least. The tough part is to make sure you're not practicing something incorrectly, ingraining bad habits.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I believe what you can get from books depends on how well the material is presented, and more importantly, the skill of the person reading the book. Often, if a person is already fairly skilled in one system, it isn't too difficult to pick up the basics from a book. Deep understanding of the principles behind the techniques is most likely impossible without adequate instruction, but it's possible to at least learn the mechanics of something from a book.

Books plus video material on the same topic are even better, with the same requirements as above. Books are usually lacking in some respects in that the photos provided are static, and the transitions from one position to another are not shown. It's possible to describe the motion from one position to another, but seeing it is best, which is where the videos come in.

Bear in mind that while I think it is possible to learn techniques, mechanics, and perhaps some principles, but the essence of the art is best learned through actual instruction. Also, even if you're skilled in one system, if the material you're trying to learn is a completely different format (eg, you've studied Hsing I and are trying to learn Yagyu Shinkage kenjutsu), you probably won't get much from a book.

Hmmm. Did I have a point with this? I forget.

Cthulhu

OP
I

Icepick

Cthulhu -

I think you made my point, more clearly than I did. If you're skilled in an art, you can pick up new techniques in that art. If you're learning an art from scratch, it's difficult.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Icepick
If you're skilled in an art, you can pick up new techniques in that art. If you're learning an art from scratch, it's difficult.

In fact, for some of the reasons alluded to by Icepick, I find that the most useful part of martial arts books is generally the written text, not the photos. It's very difficult to pick up a technique, even in an art you know--a new application, perhaps, but not a technique. But you can learn or gain more understanding of principles and technicalities. Many in the Tai Chi class I am taking read books for the little details that are hard to pick up by watching the instructor. This has been very helpful for me.

Details and improvements in an art you know, yes; interesting applications from that art or a related one, yes; and an interesting glimpse into an art about which you know little, also yes, but with the understanding that, as Icepick stated, much happens between the pictures that isn't in the book. Even videos fail to communicate the feel of the art, and I know I never believe a technique until it has been done on me and I feel that it would work on me.

Jay Bell

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I personally think that books and videos are good tools to *compliment* training. Soley training from either or both is a jaded reality that you truly understand what's happening.

Demo videos often give people new ideas in their training...as do books and concepts found in them.

OP
R

Rob_Broad

I love the knowledge that can be gained by books and videos. they are a great way of supplimenting what you are currently learning. They are also a great way of reminding us of what we have learned.

What does everyone here theink of E-books, and E-zines. Has anyone here subscribed or bought one of these.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Are there martial arts ebooks and ezines? Got any links?

Cthulhu

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
The only one I can remember offhand is http://www.ejmas.com/ Electronic Journal of Martial Arts and Sciences. I haven't looked at it in some time, but as I recall it's all older works, nothing particularly recent.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hurray! I found a bunch of my martial arts books that I thought got lost in the move! Of course, I was looking for something else entirely at the time, but oh well. :)

Pretty standard fair, really: Hyams's Zen in the Martial Arts, Nicol's Moving Zen, The Martial Spirit by Herman Kauz, and Parker's Secrets of Chinese Karate, to name a few. A few I could easily replace, but some I had found in used bookstores and whatnot, and would be difficult to find again.

:DCthulhu:D

OP
R

Rob_Broad

Here is the URL to aFREE e-book. Just go to the address and it will take you to the download.

Hope you all like it.

OP
L

lost_tortoise

Just a quick comment on martial arts books. I never put much stock in their value as a tool for learning the art....BUT....

I picked up some of my old Tai Chi (yes, Tai Chi!) books a few months ago. Whilst reading them, I finally realized some of the subtle depth of the art. I was reading one in particular, Yang Family Secrets (I am at work, so sue me if I didn't get the title correct) and I recognized martial applications that I never appreciated/saw/understood before. Also, for those that poo-poo Tai Chi, I wanted to add that my hindsight has given me a DEEP appreciation for the art and I now wish that I had never stopped training in it.

Just some thoughts,

geoffrey

OP
G

gman

I would agree with most on this. Books and videos are great but live pesonal instruction is important. I can't count how many times I have seen our instructor make a minor adjustment that make such a large difference in a technique.

OP
A

A.R.K.

They might just be the only viable alternative for some due to geographical locale.

And perhaps once one has learn a particular system in person from a qualified instructor a book or video may offer great insight on alternatives.

:asian:

moromoro

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
brisbane australia, zamboanga philippines, sorsogo
i have hundreds of martail arts books, but i never learn from them i simply read them and enjoy them, personal istruction is the only way to go,
as far as videos i guess they are a visual aid to training but you should never buy a video with the goal in mind to learn the system or learn the techniques they are simply a preview of the art

thanks

terry

Zujitsuka

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think that books and videos are a good supplement to one's existing training. I feel that I've benefitted greatly by incorporating concepts I gleaned from Vlad Vasiliev's Systema videos and from Bob Orlando's Kuntao videos.

Don't get too caught up with videos though because nothing beats doing the real thing in the ring / or the mat. If watching a video was all that we needed to do, everyone would be a super grandmaster.

As a student of boxing and Jujutsu, I can see new opportunities for leg attacks and escapes from various holds and releases.

Hey, like Bruce said, "Absorb what is useful and discard the rest".

BTW, I find videos by Paladin Press and TRS to be the best. However, TRS can get on your nerves with there crazy hyped up advertisements, but do not let that deter you from ordering their products because they have some great instructionals.

Peace & blessing,

Latest Discussions