Mapping Katas

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How many members map out their kata in the early stages when learning a new form. I have used this method to help understand some of the principles in my forms in the past. Does anyone else do this?

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Rob Broad said:
How many members map out their kata in the early stages when learning a new form. I have used this method to help understand some of the principles in my forms in the past. Does anyone else do this?
I map out my katas all the time when I first learn them, when I begin to understand them ,and on and on we go. There is always something more to katas than we will ever know just when we think that we know what a certain move is we find a diffferent meaning to it.

PPKO

R

RHD

Good question.

I try to continuously breakdown and map my forms. This has been a great help to me in understanding application.

Mike

Kenpo Mama

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I love (no - i need) to know what applications are involved in each movement of my forms, and then as time goes on watching the form evolve and finding different applications for the movements as i progress in my training. Having just changed schools, (same art) i find the applications of the forms a bit different, so now my horizons have really expanded. My map is now an atlas - it just keeps evolving. Great question!

Donna :)

OP
Rob Broad

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I started mapping kata, when I started learning Short Form 1, and I have been doing it ever since. It has been a great way to help me learn.

Latest Discussions