Head Butting

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As kids we all though the head butt was a neat little weapon to be used if necessary in a fight. How many adults still look at it as a great part of self defense?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rob Broad said:
As kids we all though the head butt was a neat little weapon to be used if necessary in a fight. How many adults still look at it as a great part of self defense?

Head butts are definately a great tool. However, knowing how to do them is also an important factor.

Mike

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Of course the forehead bleeds profusely, and if you were to cut your self on a tooth, the blood dripping into your eyes during a confrontation may or may not contribute to you losing the fight.
Sean

OP
Rob Broad

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Head Butts are a double edged sword, they can be very devastating but improper use can cause you a lot of pain.

Kenpo Mama

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Just watching someone do a head butt hurts! It reminds me of the three stooges and that clunking noise - ouch! I think i'll leave the head butts to some 11 year old boys i know! I think as martial artists we train to use our minds, not our noggins.

Just a thought!

Donna %-}

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
One of my instructors Hock Hochheim use to teach the head butt a lot in drills, however over the years he now speaks out against them. Although they are protrayed alot in movies and such as kind of the nasty secret technique, I think he had some doctor tell him the medical ramifications about the head butt. Now he down plays the teaching of the technique and speaks out against it. I think I have the article that he wrote about head butts somewhere in my closet with the other martial art related magazines, I'll try and look it up and post the main points if anyone is interested.

Mark

R

RHD

Headbutts...love 'em. Short guy delivering headbutt to the sternum of a taller opponent=bad day for tall guy.

Mike

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good tip on the head butt to the big guys...I think a head butt is a good last resort if that is the only weapon available to you...It may leave you with a headache, BUT why not at least give it a try?:)

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
MJS said:
Head butts are definately a great tool. However, knowing how to do them is also an important factor.

Mike
No doubt.
It's easy to hurt yourself in trying to pull off a headbutt!!!!
If done wrong, you end up looking like a butt-head.

:rolleyes:
your Brother
John

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
mj-hi-yah said:
Good tip on the head butt to the big guys...I think a head butt is a good last resort if that is the only weapon available to you...It may leave you with a headache, BUT why not at least give it a try?:)
Try biting!

"I hate'm when they aint been shaved!"
((Quote from the "B" Vampire Flick "after Dark"))

Your Brother
John

Kenpo Mama

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Brother John said:
No doubt.
It's easy to hurt yourself in trying to pull off a headbutt!!!!
If done wrong, you end up looking like a butt-head.

:rolleyes:
your Brother
John

Now that's funny! Or like my dad used to say butt-ugly :roflmao:

Donna :)

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Brother John said:
Try biting!

"I hate'm when they aint been shaved!"
((Quote from the "B" Vampire Flick "after Dark"))

Your Brother
John
Hee hee Brother John you've been reading up.;) Yes I hate 'em when thay ain't been shaved too as biting's become a fave of mine, but I'll butt heads if I must...bite first but butt as a last resort!:uhyeah:

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It reminds me of the three stooges - kenpo mama

does this belong here or under the "who was your inspiration" thread? those guys were martial arts geniuses...

who can forget curley's defense against the 2 finger eye gouge

or, as larry in true tai chi spirit listened, yielded, and adhered as his hair was pulled

and, moe's two and three multi-directional face slaps that would put any kenpo artist to shame...

is it any surprise bruce lee paid tribute to moe by sporting his haircut?

... now back to the discussion on head butts (or butt heads, i forgot?)

forgive me, its early!

pete.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not at all my head is not as invinceable as I thought now joint locks yes, pressure point yea and anything else so my brain can stay intact. GOD BLESS AMERICA

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Great addition to any repetoir, if done correctly. I still practice them on focus mitts during live drills. Really freaks out the new guys if they are holding the pads.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Head butts are like any tool. If you use it well, great. If not it is like a bad punch leading to a broken wrist - ouch!

I like to use short "Jabbing" head butts to distract and to start moving an opponents mass in a particular direction. Taking the big plate bone and pressing/'jabbing' it into a Bad guys nose, ear, jaw point, ocular ridge is a great way to keep your hands free to take advantage of any gaps or breaks in timing that the headbutt creates...

I still remember Burt Renolds in "Hooper" putting a motor cycle helmet on before using a head butt in a bar fight....funny in a movie,UGLY in a real fight.

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I get mad... head butt.

I was learning Push Hands from a friend in Tai Chi - this great martial artist who is a big guy, strong, wierdly flexible - and I got frustruated because I couldn't push him effectively - I had him back on his heels but couldn't completely affect his balance - and my hands were tied up with his, so I leaned down and head-butted him in the sternum. It worked. And he and the instructor and other people in the class had a laugh at my frustruated, inelegant response! :)