Many Views Abound

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
BTW British Colonialism isnt some relic that can be brushed off as "ancient history" there was still dabbling in other nations affairs as recently as the 1950's-1990's. The Med, Africa, Rockall, the Falklands etc. Which Im not complaining about. The UK is a nation with a long and proud history and politics/foriegn relations are not easy "sunshine. peace and love "propositions". The US is just the current "big guy on the block" and everybody wants to take shots at the big guy.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I indicated in that other thread, maybe you should have dealt with it where and with whom it occured, and not let it cloud up the current thread.
You used "you" in three locations: first telling me I turned around what you said, second that I criticise other countries but can't take it back, and third that I want to censor your comments. The first you is me, the second you is everyone, and the third you is back to me again? Confusing.

Parenthetical assignments for clarity:

I didn't turn your words, go back and read what you (Tez3) wrote.

I'm waiting for you (Tez3) to back up your statement that I criticise other countries. I haven't, so you (Tez3) are wrong.

I didn't try to censor you, I wrote "I'd suggest you continue to post on any issue that interests you". So you (Tez3) are wrong.

I'm not making this personal, you are. If you (Tez3) are going to accuse me of censorship and bad-mouthing other countries, you better be able to prove it.

I'm waiting ...

This is childish and petty. You brought up the other thread not I. Of course I'm wrong, where else would my place be other than in the wrong in your eyes. You've made your mind up about me and that's that. I'd better be able to prove it or what? that's a threat I don't appreciate. I'm afraid, my dear you will be waiting a long time for whatever you think is your due.

As it happens I don't agree with people who think America is the baddie, I'm one of those annoying people who can see all sides of an argument and was trying to explain why I thought the people quoted believe what they do. It doesn't make it my view or opinion at all but it's necessary to look at why people believe what they do and it goes a long way to finding out how you can change their views. Should we care what our neighbours think of us? I think yes as it's a small world getting smaller by the day and we all have to live on it. We have to find solutions to problems that affect us all. it's rare now that anything happening in one country doesn't affetc others now, look at Chernobyl, a purely Russian problem? Not when the radioactivity spread right across Europe and reached us here. Pollution is poisoning the oceans and the skies, it doesn't stay over the country causing it. Rivers run through many countries supplying fresh water, if it's polluted or dammed in one place how many others will suffer?
If no man is an island how much truer is it now of countries?

I'm not advocating outside interference in American politics but people in the OPs links made a wide variety of comments. Trying to understand those comments and explain them (without agreeing with them necessarily) is easier as an outsider.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Attention all users:

As two unofficial nudges to return to the topic of the thread and cease the personal arguments have been ignored, THIS is an official notice to return to the original topic of the thread and cease the personal arguments. Attack the message, not the messenger.

-Jeff Letchford
-MT super moderator

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apologies from me for allowing personal feelings get in the way of a good discussion. :asian:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not all of us.

Ah but we haven't met....yet! would be good to do so though!

It's just the ones I've met that said that , I don't think for a minute that's the universal view. It's probably engendered by meeting our plumbing and electtical systems along with our dentists! Not to mention our eccentricities!

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Last night we were having a few threads that touched upon how America was viewed by other peoples around the world.

By coincidence, I found these couple of blog/threads/articles on the BBC which might make interesting reading:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/talkingamerica/2008/10/fast_food_nation.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/news/2008/09/080904_talking_america_debate.shtml

There are some quite surprising points of view in the comments and posts, particularly from Pakistan and Iran. I consider myself reasonably well appraised of world affairs and international relations and there were some things said that really surprised me.

Going back to the beginning of this thread, really how can any of this be surprising?

The actions of the USA reverberate around the globe. Because of this, other nations take an intense interest in what we do and in our politics, and why wouldn't they? Often our actions will affect them in some way, for better or worse.

Many people hate the US, because they have been on the receiving end of some truly awful things that we have done, at least for them. And they'd be right.

Many people love the US, because they have been on the receiving end of some great things we've done, at least for them. And they'd be right.

Many people in the US are frustrated and angry with our politics and economic decisions because they perceive many poor and myopic decisions that represent failures, folly, and squandered opportunities of our nation. These are examples where we as a nation can be improved, and that is what fuels the anger and frustration, because it appears our nation is on a path where this is ignored. And they would be right.

Many people in the US see the positive and good things the nation has done, and feel that in spite of our failures, we have the "best" thing going at least in their opinion, so we shouldn't be angry about it. And they too would be right.

So of course there will be many viewpoints both here in the US and abroad, both positive, negative, and even. Because the US is all of these things.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Ah but we haven't met....yet! would be good to do so though!

It's just the ones I've met that said that , I don't think for a minute that's the universal view. It's probably engendered by meeting our plumbing and electtical systems along with our dentists! Not to mention our eccentricities!

I will second what Crane said and add I have in-laws in China who have absolutly no interest in living in the US or anywhere else for that matter other than China.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will second what Crane said and add I have in-laws in China who have absolutly no interest in living in the US or anywhere else for that matter other than China.

That was my point really, most of us are happy where we are despite whatever shortfalls our respective countries may be perceived to have. I think probably that's how the Americans I met have felt but they thought we'd also like to live where they do. I guess too it's a love of their country that prompts then to think everything in their home towns is better than everywhere else. I've also heard a great many British 'city' people say they couldn't live where we live, we don't have most of the amenities that cities or even towns have lol!

Latest Discussions