Mantis fight distance

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
rox said:
I don't mean a horse stance, I mean that one that is almos like it, but with legs wider. Something like this(sorry for the problematic communication, english's my second language):

Horse stance: |****|
The stance I mean: /****\

BTW, you very much answered the question, thanks.
No problem, I think we are still talking about horse stance. Its just they were using a wider, higher version of horse stance. They also moved from horse stance to other stances and back again. In mantis you use your horse stance to move in as well. So while sitting in horse stance you'll see people stepping with their lead foot. It sort of makes the horse stance look alot wider.

Trainwreck said:
Sorry about the confusion. The Shaolin long form of Mantis.
The fighting principles you would learn in my school and the ones you will learn in a shaolin school touching on mantis will be very, very different. I dont really know much about shaolin long form of mantis, but most schools that touch on mantis pull one or two forms and learn them, but miss alot of the deeper core principles in doing so.

7sm

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just ask about Ou, Luo, Tsai ... I believe all Mantis systems use those three principles.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
clfsean said:
Just ask about Ou, Luo, Tsai ... I believe all Mantis systems use those three principles.
Probably so, but those are more techniques than principles. I guess what I was trying to say is that shaolin schools that touch on mantis aren't really learning a mantis system, they are learning some forms from the mantis system, but not the entire system, therefore the principles learned will not neccessarily be different as much as just missing.

7sm

OP
J

j_m

rox said:
I'm looking forward to train mantis or wing chun next year, when I move to a bigger city. I see my style pretty useful on mid to long distance, but a little limited at close distances, so I would like a inside fighting style. I've never seen a mantis stylist sparring or something, but from what I read it seems like it fights close. Does it?

If someone could send me a link of a sparring clip or something, it would be of great help :D
I just browsed through this thread and only have one question off the top of my head (heh... I'm a poet):

Are there any CMA styles that are NOT for close range fighting??

jm

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
j_m said:
I just browsed through this thread and only have one question off the top of my head (heh... I'm a poet):

Are there any CMA styles that are NOT for close range fighting??

jm
None that I can think of. Even in the branch Choy Lee Fut I practice, we like to get close & personal real quick to finish things off.

OP
R

rox

Longfist?

My style is half CMA so I cannot tell anything.

OP
T

Trainwreck

Hmm ... does Crane count as long range? It seems to emphasize full-power strikes designed to keep your opponent away from your more vulnerable body.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Depends on the crane... if Bak Hok then maybe, but they prefer close as well. If Fujian or Fuzhou... then you never get close to them because they're already controlling you.

Which one are you talking about?

OP
T

Trainwreck

The one you taught me in the Shaolin system.

OP
T

Trainwreck

Ack, my bad, I meant to but somehow got sidetracked and forgot to ask about it! Please, I'd like to know more about it. Anyone?

OP
I

Infrazael

Hmmm. . . . CLFsean, mabye we differ in personal taste.

I'm a small guy, 130 pounds, 5'6" and I really can't take that much of a beating from bigger people.

Thus, I really like finishing people from a distance using Sao Choy, Gwa-Sao, Gwa-Kup, Gwa-Kum, etc etc etc. . . . (seems like the "Gwa" starts everything!!!).

But I agree, CLF is excellent for closing in as well. Centergate elbow with sliding horsestance??? Yep.

I think the thing is, short-range CMA focuses on short-attacks, and long-range CMA focuses on short AND long-ranged attacks.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Infrazael said:
Hmmm. . . . CLFsean, mabye we differ in personal taste.

I'm a small guy, 130 pounds, 5'6" and I really can't take that much of a beating from bigger people.

Thus, I really like finishing people from a distance using Sao Choy, Gwa-Sao, Gwa-Kup, Gwa-Kum, etc etc etc. . . . (seems like the "Gwa" starts everything!!!).

But I agree, CLF is excellent for closing in as well. Centergate elbow with sliding horsestance??? Yep.

I think the thing is, short-range CMA focuses on short-attacks, and long-range CMA focuses on short AND long-ranged attacks.
Footwork... it's all about footwork. ;) My sigung is only 5'2" ... my sifu is 6'2". They both like to be in & close. Sigung is in & close so you can't hit hit & Sifu is in & close cause he crashes in on you. Both have different philosophies on closing the gap, but both are big fans of in & close.

Let me pose a question to you where there's no right & no wrong, but just an idea. If I bridge out to you with say a Gwa like you start with (like I start with too... ;) ) & then instead of staying outside & I move into you with say... chop, ping ahn, pao & kahp. 4 strikes... BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM... The whole time moving in on angles while shortening your distance to me (reducing your striking room) & continuing to hammer with mine... where's the better position? In & carpet bombing or out & picking??

OP
I

Infrazael

Interesting. BTW, what's Ping Ahn again???

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Leopard Fist (Pao Choi) but not the uppercut Pao Choi. Ping Ahn translate out to something like "level eye" or something similar.

OP
I

Infrazael

You mean the horizontal leopard paw directed towards the throat/nose/face of the opponent???

OP
I

Infrazael

We call it something like (sorry, I don't catch cantonese well) Quan Wang Choy. . . . . arghhh. . . ..

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are so many variations on fist positions & all that it's silly. At my school, we use the fist name, but dropped the Cantonese for the positioning unless it changes the name significantly of the hand. Just easier that way...

Latest Discussions