Man that hurt....

W

WilliamTLear

Originally posted by satans.barber

I never said he did or didn't did I? Are you meaning for me to add that in, or were you pointing out a mistake?

Ian.

Just seemed like a pretty significant omission to me.

D

Deathtrap101

Yea ive bin in martial arts for a whole year now and ive had my share of injuries, the only lasting one or two so far are my knee and the ball of my right foor. Both from kicking accidents.

I was doing some real nice and high side kicks and twice in teh alst few months it went a little to high and my groin didnt particularily like it and my leg i was standing on(left), went to the right and i went down and the left knee broke the fall on my concrete floor(carpet over i). The pain was off and on for quite a while and now only likes to come back once and a while when im trying to do the splits.

The ball of my right foot hurts caus i was trying a roundhouse kick i was told about, where you use the ball of your foot, i dont think i did it right caus it realy hurt. Then i did it again when i did a bad side kick. the hurts coems off and on.

IM much better at kicking now :D

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Deathtrap101
i was trying a roundhouse kick i was told about, where you use the ball of your foot, i dont think i did it right caus it realy hurt.
[/B]

That's called a 'hybrid' kick, and it's designed to go in under the guard and strike the solar plexus. You need to make sure you bend your toes right back and have the angle right, else you'll crumple them up and it'll hurt, which you may have done :(

Works better if you're a little further around to the front of someone (or the kick shield or whatever), if you're facing them (or it) too side on then you won't be able to get your toes curled back enough to do it right.

Ian.

Les

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by satans.barber

That's called a 'hybrid' kick,

Ian.

Hey, I never knew that.

For over 25 years I've been calling it a "roundhouse kick using the ball of the foot"

Live & learn.

Les

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've always heard it called a "ball of the foot roundhouse kick" as well..... its nice to have a shorter name for it!

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In my pre kenpo days, I was in TKD with the ITF, and using the ball of the foot for a round kick (they call them Turning kicks) was the only way they taught it. I never got a good reason why they didn't like to use the instep, but the funny thing is when you would spar you would use the instep, not the ball of the foot :shrug:

:asian:

Les

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Klondike93

In my pre kenpo days, I was in TKD with the ITF, and using the ball of the foot for a round kick (they call them Turning kicks) was the only way they taught it. I never got a good reason why they didn't like to use the instep, but the funny thing is when you would spar you would use the instep, not the ball of the foot :shrug:

I'm in no way an expert on the thinking behind TKD, but logically, I would say that they train with the ball of the foot for the destruction aspect that is so predominant in their system, and use the instep when sparring for a 'faster but more gentle' effect.

One of my students holds a 2nd inTKD, I'll ask him about it.

Les

T

tonbo

I have a healed-over cracked ring finger on my left hand from blocking a powerful kick years ago. Stupid blue-belt me, at the time, trying to block a roundhouse kick (full force, of course), with an open-fingered knife hand (WHAT WAS I THINKING???).....

My shins are pretty banged up from blocking with them. I have a couple of stress fractures that never seem to get better. On a good day, I can see the "divots" in my bones. Grosses my wife out....;)

Not to mention the consistent knocks to my melon, which haven't seemed to hurt me much....uh....mentally, anyway...;)

:D

Peace--

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
hehe... you know the only way to heal a stress fracture is....

STOP STRESSING THE BONE. lol

I had one that put me out of karate and dance for six weeks... got it in my foot from Irish dance...where the object of the dance seems to be slamming your foot as hard as possible into the wooden floor so you make as much noise as you can. It healed up pretty well once I stayed off it long enough.

Chronuss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've also heard that the "ball of the foot round" is called a "traditional" round kick, the other with the instep is just a round kick. because of TKD, I tend to throw a traditional almost all of the time without thinking about it, which I'm trying to get outta that habit.

I also have lotsa dings and dimples in my shin from doing shin checks against many-a round kick. I've pretty much lost almost all feeling when I do it anymore...except against Seig...you don't feel his hits immediately, they penetrate and you feel it the day after. guess I'm a dimpled Chad..

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have a boxers dent on the top of my left hand.. shattered it my first Kenpo class against a big 6'4" dude.. was back in class a few days later all casted.. I have oodles of bruises from overzealous sparring partners.. 3 jammed /broken fingers that healed finally but can't get any rings on them.. *blocking a kick somehow I guess wrongly* I have bursitis and a torn rotator cuff in my right shoulder that acts up once in awhile.. lately it's been behaving.. I've blown to 3rd degree.. both hamstrings.. 4 times each..
I've got a cage in my lumbar spine that I don't pay any attention to ..My meniscus in my right knee has been torn many a time.. I deal with it.. :)
I've had a black eye.. and more 'boo boos than I care to talk about hahaa.. but hey It's part of the game and I would never trade it for anything :)

I feel better now at 42 then any other time in my life :)

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
Originally posted by Les

I'm in no way an expert on the thinking behind TKD, but logically, I would say that they train with the ball of the foot for the destruction aspect that is so predominant in their system, and use the instep when sparring for a 'faster but more gentle' effect.

One of my students holds a 2nd inTKD, I'll ask him about it.

Les
We always called the pointed toe round kick just a round kick and the one with the ball fo the foot the traditional round kick.

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
I have a knee that was completely reconstructed about 7 years ago. It seems to be doing better now than it has in the last 15 years. I have a really messed up rotator cuff. In that arm, I can pivot it a full 360 degrees (perfect circle) backwards without it "kicking" out. I have some residual back injuries from a car accident back in 95. I have broken hand bones numerous times, to the point if one breaks now, I simply set it and go.

Latest Discussions