Man, I hate putting together videos

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Video editing is work and an art form of itself. If we want to do a 'pro' style video we hire someone to do the job correctly. They can do it in a 10th of the time I could plus they have all the software to make it seamless. Most of the time the videos are for students or people initiated in the style so a front view is sufficient. If someone has a question or comment about what is being done, they contact me directly or post it in the comment section.

Videos are not a substitute for a real class but they can help guide people to remember the major points. Corrections and feedback can be made when you have a chance to train in person. Hope to see something from you to learn more about what you are doing.

OP
Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most of the time the videos are for students or people initiated in the style so a front view is sufficient.
The problem I have is the forms (as opposed to the 2-man kata, which we use another name for) don't have a "front". They face all 4 cardinal directions at different points. I never did figure out a good way to present them in video - just wasn't capturing them well enough.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The problem I have is the forms (as opposed to the 2-man kata, which we use another name for) don't have a "front". They face all 4 cardinal directions at different points. I never did figure out a good way to present them in video - just wasn't capturing them well enough.
Yes we have kata like that as well. Might be me simplifying but I corner shot of the kata seems to work well enough to give the viewer a good idea of what is going on. Yes there are butt shots but that is the nature of the kata and requires the viewer to have some understanding of what they are viewing. Unless you are doing an instructional video you plan to market for sale, it should work to help students.

OP
Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes we have kata like that as well. Might be me simplifying but I corner shot of the kata seems to work well enough to give the viewer a good idea of what is going on. Yes there are butt shots but that is the nature of the kata and requires the viewer to have some understanding of what they are viewing. Unless you are doing an instructional video you plan to market for sale, it should work to help students.
The way I teach my kata, a butt shot is mostly the same as no shot, as most of what they are meant to focus on is only visible from some front angle (stances, for instance, are pretty variable within reason). The videos were intended for folks just learning the kata. They are mostly useless once the kata are memorized.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The options I used was to do a form as normal but start the form facing South, West, North East. If you have more than one camera then you can do it in one direction and use a multi cam capture software and of course multiple cameras

From there you can edit the same performance to help go into detail in regards to positioning and things like that. It's something I wish I had throughout my martial arts experience.

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
I started working on a series of videos of kata, figuring that'd be the easiest stuff to put together for students while things are shut down. I am not having fun with it. I need at least three camera angles to get everything in, which means a lot of editing and figuring out where transitions should be between shots (to make sense to the viewer) and then doing some voice-over on top of all that.

I thought I was going to do a series of videos. I'm not sure that will ever happen at this rate. I just don't enjoy video editing like I once did. I used to really get into stuff like that.
I am experienced in video editing, and I am more than happy to edit the videos for you for free.

OP
Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am experienced in video editing, and I am more than happy to edit the videos for you for free.
I very much appreciate the offer.

Unfortunately, I never did get footage that was acceptable to me. If I can find a good location to film (reasonably undistracting background), I may try again. Since I lost all my students (and my teaching space) during the pandemic, it’s a low priority right now.