Makiwara

W

Withered Soul

What is a Makiwara? I've seen them on the internet but never knew what they were for. Are they some sort of knuckle toughener or what?

OP
D

Despairbear

They are a taget used for conditioning and technique practice used by some forms of Karate.

Despair Bear

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
They're meant for practicing hand techniques barehanded against a target that's more solid than usual.

We've been talking about one use for them in the "training full speed barenuckle?" thread in this section.

OP
Y

yilisifu

They are a very old training tool which is still an excellent means of developing powerful blows (their primary function is not to callouse the hands...). I highly recommend it's use although I teach an internal system.
However, the real striking post must be set up properly. Otherwise, it's akin to hitting a tree which doesn't do you much good......

okinawagojuryu

Green Belt
Reaction score
Actually , I was always told Makiwara is for developing power from the hips , & conditioning of the hands is secondary .

David

OP
Y

yilisifu

Actually, it develops power not only in the hips, but in other body areas as well. You're right; hand "tempering" is secondary.

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
it is good to use it but not till the point on witch your kuncles start to bleed cause it will take longer to heel but I use my Makiwara not often. :asian:

OP
Y

yilisifu

Start with a decent pad which is not so rough on the knuckles...as the hands become better tempered, use pads which are incrementally more abrasive (but never extremely abrasive or hard).
If your knuckles begin to bleed, you're probably striking it incorrectly (a glancing, scraping blow rather than a direct-impact thrust).
The makiwara is unforgiving and hates everyone equally. But it can become your best friend if you use it regularly.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have used mikiwara as a training tool fairly often and found it to be very useful. The big thing to remember when using one is to start with a light strike to make sure your technique is correct. Once your tech is correct then you can add some speed and more power. I like the analogy of hitting a tree if done incorrectly. Makiwara are great tools for training but can be very punishing and even do a lot of long term damage if not used properly. Start with a canvas cover and move up to a hemp rope wrapped around it but not until you are used to using it. Your knuckles will become scratched up when using it (canvas or hemp either one) so make sure you wash your hands well after using it to avoid any sort of infection that could hamper your training.

OP
C

chufeng

Simply press your two knuckles into the makiwara.
Start with a relaxed arm...ensure your alignment is correct. Then slowly press into the makiwara allowing only the muscles necessary for the movement to contract...do not tense anything...the muscles that need to do the work will naturally tense and that is fine...but don't squeeze your hand, raise your shoulder, hold your breath, or strain.

This develops strength in the areas necessary for a fast, strong punch...it teaches you how not to work against yourself...and this is where you should start your makiwara training. Once you can do several repetitions of this, move up to slow strikes that stick to the makiwara...again focus on the proper alignment and feel of the technique...then move up to faster techniques...eventually you will be hitting it full power and speed...

A makiwara should have some give to it...also, you should use a good quality piece of wood (cedar, for instance) because a cheap grade of pine will eventually break at the base once you really start wailing on it.

:asian:
chufeng

Latest Discussions