Makiwara

G

gojukylie

The have read so much about Karate masters and their praises about the Makiwara.
I am interested in hearing comments about practitioners who have used them and whether it has helped you with your training.
:)

OP
K

Kempo Guy

I think it's a great tool for conditioning your 'weapons' as well as developing your focus (kime). Haven't used one in years but I had one in my backyard for a while (a traditional makiwara made by king makiwara).

Did you have some questions in particular?

OP
G

gojukylie

Originally posted by Kempo Guy

Did you have some questions in particular?

My brother and myself are looking at getting one to help improve our techniques and stances. I havn't really thought of it in the area of focusing on kicks as mentioned above. That has helped.
I think I will get one but I was interested in hearing about peoples experiences with them, do's and don'ts.:cool:

OP
K

Kempo Guy

I would recommend that when using a makiwara you start slowly.
Otherwise it may cause impact damage.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by okinawagojuryu
Here's a lil' something I put together a while ago :

http://www.angelfire.com/fl5/okinawagojuryu/MakiwaraTraining.html

David

I like how you mention in your article that makiwara training is not for conditioning your knuckles. I wonder where that misconception came from. If you wanted to condition your knuckles, there are far better ways to do it.

Makiwara training (with a properly constructed makiwara), develops muscles in the arm for striking targets that will have some give, which is one reason why properly made makiwara posts are not absolutely rigid. It also helps students to learn how to derive power from their hips.

Don't kick your makiwara. All your hard work will disappear with a loud crack and turn into two useless hunks of wood :)

Cthulhu

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Early in my trainning I used the Makiwara. I didnt have much knowled of what I oing an soon had lage open a where the skin over my knuckles should have been. I was lucky not to get an infection .
I did develop caluses after a while and did develop a heavy punch.
I recomend that anyone doing such training have a good instructor that has done this training and that the person also check with the doctor after a while to see if any dmage has been done

Latest Discussions