Make them sell cake...

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, in the same way 2nd amendment nuts try to entrap cops.

"Am I being detained or am I free to leave?" isn't just for pro 2nd Amendment folks while taking video documentation. Protesters (1st Amendment nuts) do it. People challenging police state checkpoints (4th Amendment nuts) do it and I'm sure other civil rights nuts probably do it as a sort of checks and balances effort.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
"Am I being detained or am I free to leave?" isn't just for pro 2nd Amendment folks while taking video documentation. Protesters (1st Amendment nuts) do it. People challenging police state checkpoints (4th Amendment nuts) do it and I'm sure other civil rights nuts probably do it as a sort of checks and balances effort.
Exactly. There are always people out there trying to score for their team, and it sucks to be caught up in it. I had in mind the specific video that tgace posted a while back where the police officer handled a 2nd amendment nut very well.

Tying it back to this thread, the law is exactly that. If a nut tries to provoke you into breaking the law, as the cop did in that video a while back, the best thing to do is to understand the law and avoid crossing the line.

In this situation, it's pretty clear that the couple who owned this bakery broke a law. Simple as that, whether they were provoked or not.

It seems like a few issues have come up. First, based only on what has been shared in this thread, it appears to me that the Oregon DL&I is pursuing this case appropriately. What I mean is that it seems like this is a pretty clear case of illegal discrimination based upon Oregon's law.

Second thing is the allegation that the Oregon DL&I wouldn't pursue a similar case if the roles were reversed. If true, that's troubling to me. Is there any evidence of this? Are there other cases where the Oregon Dept of Labor and Industries ignored or failed to investigate allegations of discrimination by Christians? I'm interested in this, because it seems to me that it's becoming very common for groups to play the victim card, and Christians seem to be doing it a lot.

Third thing is whether we should have discrimination laws at all. This is strictly a matter of opinion. My personal opinion is that they exist for a reason, and I fully support them. However, as with anything else, we should be vigilant for abuse. As we've seen with 2nd amendment rights and everything else, there will always be nuts on the fringe trying to push an issue or provoke a confrontation in the hopes of taking a principled stand (however misguided).

Latest Discussions