Ma'ers as role models

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just a general question for all you MA'ers how many of you believe we are here to set a well rounded criteria for our student body, such as manners and good will toward are fellow man and enviroment or do you believe we are here just to train in the Art of self defense and fighting. Does your school promote honesty, intriguety,self worth or does it beat you down because you cannot do certain techniques as well as others. Does your school use PNP-positive-negative-positive reinforcment with your student body or just always knocks you down. I know the majority views on this but those that believe in just the fight aspect looking for your comments mainly. Thanks GOD BLESS AMERICA

O

OC Kid

Most traditional systems that I know of have dojo rules or by laws. Such as "I always respect my seniors and I do my Senseis" The traditional school I came out of we recited these rule ever class and made them part of the testing. We have had people who were kicked out of the style for disgracing it also.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
In my edumacation classes the idea of modeling as a powerful teaching tool was always stressed. If you want them to do it, you should do it. As a MA instructor, I would say it is just as important.

The problem is assumptions or unclear expectations. Are the class conduct 'rules' clearly stated/written/enforced? If so, the idea of modeling will be just one more tool to reinforce expectation. If not, there could be too much ambiguity and students will form their own opinions about the behavior/modeled behavior. "You just don't like people questioning you!" types of comments.

Though I am not a fan of the "family martial arts" centers for 'martial quality' I do applaud the instructional environment that these programs create. They usually have very clear class rules/guidelines/procedures and mission statements that reinforce the mission/philosophy of instruction.

Role modeling on the floor is great, but don't get caught in duality/dichotomy/hypocracy. If you stress fitness, you really need to be participating or be fit. The orientally accepted "Buddha belly" isn't percieved the same way in the West. If you stress positive interaction during class, don't bark and harass people on the floor (unless it is for a training purpose like role playing a bad guy).

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not to be a reverse chauvinist :), but all ma women have to be role models since there are so few of us.

Girls these days are encouraged to participate in sports more than ever but some places are still male dominated. It takes a lot of courage to walk into a room of strangers for the first time, and if you're the only one of your gender, it's doubly difficult.

There are certain expectations of martial artists' abilities - which I won't go into here because they've been discussed elsewhere on the boards - and women are often discounted because we're thought to be (pick one or more): smaller, not as physically strong, don't like/want to be hit, can't take a hit, or other fallacies. Thus, we are compelled to be faster and stronger than expected, be able to take the big guys down, AND be feminine - ! A tall order if you have no one after whom to pattern yourself. Not all women want to be "one of the guys". BTW - it's real tough to be feminine when you're sweating all over the mat like the guys you're doing techs or sparring with. It's doubly difficult to try to be like your instructor if he's a 6 foot broad shouldered guy and you're a petite 5 foot tall woman. Sure, we all want to be as good as our instructors. But it's easier when you have someone you can identify with to emulate.

I try to give the girls in my classes, all of whom are within the 7 to 12 age bracket, a sense of confidence as martial artists and as female martial artists as well. All the kids in our school adore our instructor (and he's a pretty nifty guy so I don't blame them!:ultracool ), but he's still a male role model and it's up to the female instructors to set a positive example for the young ladies (as he refers to them.)

Training with men who recognize that we work as hard as they do and want the same things is so important, and those of us who do are truly lucky. In that respect, YOU are all great role models.:asian: KT

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kenpo Tiger, you are exactly right we need more lady's in MA I know my wife talks about it all the time, woman in general are great role models,especially for the younger student of that gender.Sound like you have it going on, keep up the great work... GOD BLESS AMERICA

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Kenpo Tiger, you are exactly right we need more lady's in MA I know my wife talks about it all the time, woman in general are great role models,especially for the younger student of that gender.Sound like you have it going on, keep up the great work... GOD BLESS AMERICA
Thanks Terry:asian:. KT

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Just a general question for all you MA'ers how many of you believe we are here to set a well rounded criteria for our student body, such as manners and good will toward are fellow man and enviroment or do you believe we are here just to train in the Art of self defense and fighting. Does your school promote honesty, intriguety,self worth or does it beat you down because you cannot do certain techniques as well as others. Does your school use PNP-positive-negative-positive reinforcment with your student body or just always knocks you down. I know the majority views on this but those that believe in just the fight aspect looking for your comments mainly. Thanks GOD BLESS AMERICA
I believe that all of these things are good by-products of good martial arts training.

Your Bro.
John

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Kenpo Tiger, you are exactly right we need more lady's in MA

YES YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :boing2:
:partyon:
:partyon:

We need MORE female martial arts role models!

Your Brother
John

Mark L

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I've been trying to frame a question for a new thread regarding the personal qualities and level of trust we have with our fellow practitioners, haven't come up with the right language yet. I think the qualities that I look for in role models for myself and my young sons (they're MAs, too) are by necessity evident in the people we practice with. This is a serious game, the potential for dramatic injury is present in every session. The folks that recognize and respect this tend to stick with the it, and have earned my trust. I'll work with them and let them work with me and my sons. Those that are there to kick *** or learn to kick ***, or for some other superfluous reason, don't tend to last. Abuse me once, shame on you, try it a second time and you might not feel comfortable in front of me for quite a while.

There's a broad spectrum of people in the dojo, representing the spectrum of age, education, economic status, etc. The common denominator is that those that have stuck it out and treat the art and the practioners with respect have earned it in return. They are all quality individuals. So, yeah, I think they are role models of a sort. At least to the degree that I am. :wink1:

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It depends a great deal on your perception of what you think martial arts is and your level. I approach traditional martial arts as a Way of Life-an activity that guides your entire physical, mental, social, and spiritual development. As such, considering how much students look up to us, we MUST be role models. And the higher you get (4th, 5th, 6th Dan etc.) by definition the more of a role model you are.
I also understand not everyone takes this approach. Some people just want to fight or be able to defend themselves. By this definition, in traditional martial arts, Master Instructor is impossible. They would fail to live up to those ideals. I know several people who are Masters as far as rank, but in terms of how they live their lives, do not live up to the standards of Master Instructor. 4th Dan is as high as they will likely ever get.
Myself, I am a role model whether I want to be or not, considering some of the students I teach. I am the only real male role model they have. I have an obligation to not just teach physical Tae Kwon Do, but also guide them in life. Their parents have commented several times that they very much appreciate all I have done for them. Considering the pitfalls awaiting minority youth in this country, finding a mentor who can guide them and keep them on the right path is truly important. I shudder to think what might happen if they had not come to my class.

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
MichiganTKD said:
It depends a great deal on your perception of what you think martial arts is and your level. I approach traditional martial arts as a Way of Life-an activity that guides your entire physical, mental, social, and spiritual development. As such, considering how much students look up to us, we MUST be role models. And the higher you get (4th, 5th, 6th Dan etc.) by definition the more of a role model you are.
I also understand not everyone takes this approach. Some people just want to fight or be able to defend themselves. By this definition, in traditional martial arts, Master Instructor is impossible. They would fail to live up to those ideals. I know several people who are Masters as far as rank, but in terms of how they live their lives, do not live up to the standards of Master Instructor. 4th Dan is as high as they will likely ever get.
Myself, I am a role model whether I want to be or not, considering some of the students I teach. I am the only real male role model they have. I have an obligation to not just teach physical Tae Kwon Do, but also guide them in life. Their parents have commented several times that they very much appreciate all I have done for them. Considering the pitfalls awaiting minority youth in this country, finding a mentor who can guide them and keep them on the right path is truly important. I shudder to think what might happen if they had not come to my class.
I suspect that you want to be, otherwise you wouldn't be doing what you are. And, too, you give them something positive in their lives by introducing and keeping them involved in tkd. That is something traditional ma does - discipline, respect (both for others and oneself) and a roadmap (if you will) for life.

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
kenpo tiger, you are entirely right. There are so few women in MA that the women who are there are almost immediately role models for any incoming women - and for the men they train with, as demonstrations of combining martial arts and whatever personal breed of femininity they espouse.

:cool:

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
kenpo tiger said:
Not to be a reverse chauvinist :), but all ma women have to be role models since there are so few of us.

Girls these days are encouraged to participate in sports more than ever but some places are still male dominated. It takes a lot of courage to walk into a room of strangers for the first time, and if you're the only one of your gender, it's doubly difficult.

There are certain expectations of martial artists' abilities - which I won't go into here because they've been discussed elsewhere on the boards - and women are often discounted because we're thought to be (pick one or more): smaller, not as physically strong, don't like/want to be hit, can't take a hit, or other fallacies. Thus, we are compelled to be faster and stronger than expected, be able to take the big guys down, AND be feminine - ! A tall order if you have no one after whom to pattern yourself. Not all women want to be "one of the guys". BTW - it's real tough to be feminine when you're sweating all over the mat like the guys you're doing techs or sparring with. It's doubly difficult to try to be like your instructor if he's a 6 foot broad shouldered guy and you're a petite 5 foot tall woman. Sure, we all want to be as good as our instructors. But it's easier when you have someone you can identify with to emulate.

I try to give the girls in my classes, all of whom are within the 7 to 12 age bracket, a sense of confidence as martial artists and as female martial artists as well. All the kids in our school adore our instructor (and he's a pretty nifty guy so I don't blame them!:ultracool ), but he's still a male role model and it's up to the female instructors to set a positive example for the young ladies (as he refers to them.)

Training with men who recognize that we work as hard as they do and want the same things is so important, and those of us who do are truly lucky. In that respect, YOU are all great role models.:asian: KT
Wow KT, I just love what you wrote here. It is truly inspiring. We must teach our young women of today to be strong, willful and independent. To do whatever their heart's desire and not look back at those who are shaking their heads at them. Both my daughters train MA too and the both compete in another male dominated sport, Air Rifle. I remember my husband doubting that he should introduce her to shooting. I gave him hell and told him NOT to ever make her gender a deciding factor of what he could share with her and what he could not. She is now a role model for the younger kids starting out. She has accomplished so much both in Air Rifle and in MA. MA has given both my kids so much confidence and skill not only on the mat but away from the mat too. They both strive to be good role models for other young girls starting in MA.

Latest Discussions