Mabuni and Jujutsu

KOROHO

Green Belt
Reaction score
It's time to dig this up again.
Something very interesting happened recently. I was demonstrating some of our Goshin Budo Jujutsu that came down from Shogo Kuniba. Afterwards I was asked where I learned the Asayama Ichiden Ryu. This kind of floored me.
I can understand people mistaking some of what we do for Aikido or even Daito Ryu. But this was strange.
I heard of Asayama Ichiden Ryu and even nearly bought a book on the subject. Now, sadly, it seems that book is out of print. But never practiced it or even thought anyone else still was.

Anyway, there has been talk of a Kuniba-Fujita Seiko connection. Now I learned that Fujita Seiko studied (and maybe even received Menkyo in) Asayama Ichiden Ryu. Is this correct? If so, then likely Kuniba did spend time with Fujita.

George Kohler

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yes, Fujita Seiko learned Asayama Ichiden-ryu taijutsu from Ueno Takashi and received menkyo kaiden.

It is possible that maybe Kuniba learned Asayama Ichiden-ryu from Ueno Takashi as well or, as you said, from Fujita Seiko. It is also possible that he could have learned it from other students of Ueno Takashi.

George Kohler

Green Belt
Reaction score
Is there any videos on youtube or other websites that might show Goshin Budo? If there are any video footage, I can see if there is any connection to Asayama Ichiden-ryu.

KOROHO

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thanks.
I am working on some videos and I will likely put some on youtube.
The problem is I am always making videos for others and I don't have time to do my own projects.

It had always been known that Kuniba trained in Yoshinkan Aikido with Gozo Shioda. But Shioda's first certificiations were in Daito Ryu. There are some who say that Shioda taught Kuniba Daito Ryu not Yoshinkan. But then again a lot of Yoshinkan is Daito Ryu. That may have been more so back then.
Now I am reading that there may very well be a strong connection between Asayama Ichiden Ryu and the Daito Ryu. If true, that can account fo similarities.

I found a syllabus showing part of the Shoden syllabus from Asayama Ichiden Ryu. It was written with no pictures. But the descriptions sound like opening moves to kata that Kuniba created. I only saw these kata when I was a kid and now I don't know anyone who teaches them.

Hopefully I'll get this all sorted out someday.

Latest Discussions