MA Tattoos

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well my wife just got her first tattoo it is a ying yang with two dragons, one is a fire dragons the other is a ice dragons. It was just done twenty minute ago so I'll take some pics tommorrow and post them it looks great.
Anybody else have one that signafies your Art.
Terry

delicate Flower

White Belt
Reaction score
I have two, the first one is one my left forearm and is in the ancient okinawan script/kanji and says "TODE" after Tode Sakaguwa, which means open hand, the other is a kanji on my right forearm that says "MUSHIN" meaning no mindedness, the meaning of the two train to become one without thought

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have no tattoos yet, but I am getting one the day after my 18th birthday (10/28) on my right calf and it will cover one whole side of my calf. Something in it will represent my art, but I am not sure what yet.

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have the 7 virtues of Bushido on my left bicep. Looks ok, but I'm bored of it now. Thinking of having it covered over.

w.kaer

Green Belt
Reaction score
I am trying to avoid the "bored" feeling of the permanent ink. I am trying to come up with one with mixed symbology. I am leaning toward mixing a cross with Yin and Yang.

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
All of mine have a tie of sorts to MA. On my right shoulder I have a dragon (western style, but with eastern meaning), on my left shoulder I have one based on my instructor's patch, on my right forearm I have the kanji for "Empty hand" and on my left forearm the kanji for "China hand".

When I return from the desert, I plan on adorning the kanji on my left forearm with an orbiting dragon and tiger, and the kanji on my right forearm with a Tori gate and cherry tree in bloom.

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not yet. I've been toying with the idea of getting a small tattoo of either a katana or kanji for "warrior woman" on my right shoulder (I have a teeshirt with the proper kanji as a reference point). Or possibly the Yagyu mon, though I would check with my sensei first to see if that is okay.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Well my wife just got her first tattoo it is a ying yang with two dragons, one is a fire dragons the other is a ice dragons. It was just done twenty minute ago so I'll take some pics tommorrow and post them it looks great.
Terry

Your wife's tattoo sounds cool. You need to post a pic for us!

I have an MA related tattoo. It is an Asian style tiger climbing up my lower back with the chinese symbols for courage.

RheaHS

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
i've got mine designed, a dragon, but haven't got round to finding someone to do it.
I know our dan grades can have the kanji for ishin ryu set on the japanese sun on their right upper arm.
Hopefully I'll get that someday

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't have any tatoos (MA related or otherwise) only because I've never seen one that I want for the rest of my life. My best friend & I have talked about getting the same one (as a sign of friendship) for 20+ years but never can agree on what it would be.

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Terry

Well, I was thinking of getting a butt tatood on my butt, and that butt would have a but shaped tatoo on it. I guess it would symbolise how much my art kicks butt.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
two dragons, one is a fire dragons the other is a ice dragons.
HAHA I almost thought you were talking about the 'Dueling dragons' roller coaster at Universal Studios, Orlando Florida. One is fire and the other is ice... :p It is a fun coaster.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No tattoos...

I have always been told that the Kanji tattoos are considered in bad taste in Japan. :idunno:

Jimi

Black Belt
Reaction score
Years ago when I conditioned my shins on a frequent basis, I had the idea to have a tattoo on my right shin of the Louisville Slugger Label from the well known baseball bats. Then I realised how many other Muay Thai people would want to try and break my shin, so I dropped the idea. PEACE

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
ArmorOfGod said:
Buyer beware:
http://www.bmezine.com/news/pubring/20031006.html
Also, I have seen lots of articles of kanji tattoos actually being curse words and body part words, which was something the tattoist did to the person out of spite.

AoG

I recall hearing a rumor of a Japanese tatoo artist who would write "homosexual" on guys, and in one case wrote "insert cheeseburgers here" on a woman's abdomen.