MA Analogies?

S

sweeper

ok I'm sure you have all heard things like "fighting is like a game of chess, you have to think ahead". But how many people actualy think or have learned in terms of analogies to MA? For example most everything I have learned in MA I have seen as either an adaptation or an analogy to soccer (yeah I know that's an odd one ;-p) just was wondering how people think about their art.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by sweeper

ok I'm sure you have all heard things like "fighting is like a game of chess, you have to think ahead". But how many people actualy think or have learned in terms of analogies to MA? For example most everything I have learned in MA I have seen as either an adaptation or an analogy to soccer (yeah I know that's an odd one ;-p) just was wondering how people think about their art.

I like the chess analogy.

I also like the dance analogy. You lead your partner where you want tem to go. Just sometimes your partner is trying to step on your toes and elbow you in the face and you have to stay one step ahead of them and still 'lead' them to where you want them. :D

Please excuse this sick look into my mind .

:rofl:

Rich

OP
K

Kenpo Wolf

Rich Parsons...Awesome analogy(spl) with the dance one. I have to put it in my notebook but who should I give the credit to? Is it your saying or someone else's?

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by arnisador

There's a saying: In chess, the winner is the one who makes the next-to-last mistake.

Another.... to win you gotta be the one that stands up.

Or how about :

1 technique consist of two elements, that are based on 4 sides, which deal with 1000 possibilities.

/Yari

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kenpo Wolf

Rich Parsons...Awesome analogy(spl) with the dance one. I have to put it in my notebook but who should I give the credit to? Is it your saying or someone else's?

Kempo Wolf,

I made it up by myself, but I cannot claim that it is totally mine of origin. There are many quotes that lead me to this, and other quotes that I read later afterwards that helped reaffirm the analogy. In the Philippines, during the Spanish occupation, the Spanish outlawed the practice of the local arts. To hide the arts in public, many techniques became dance or were added to dances.

Other sources to this analogy, when I was in High school, we would mentally dance around a subject and mentally spare with each other. This being with the college prep types. I also hung with the Stoners and the would occasionally send crap my way. I always replied sure I will dance with you. And if you have ever seen to guys in a half crouch moving around on each other looking for the advantage to rush in, ..., well that is one picture.

I also heard it when I started bouncing, when people talked about dancing with knives, see above image.

Recently the flow drills of joint locks has taken on the name of 'The Dance of Pain!'

So, I have had this dancing running analogy running through my head since the late 70's early 80's, yet if you notice in the 16th century when the Spanish outlawed the local Martial Arts of the Philippines, the idea of dance was present soon after.

(* Excuse the Plug here :) *)
But, to put it all together I started in Balintawak under Manong Ted Buot in 1998. Manong Buot not only trained directly with Grand Master and Creator Anciong Bacon, but also taught at his school for GM Bacon. In Balintawak, there four major stages, Abecedario ( Fundamentals ), Seguidas (Non-sequential fundamentals ), Corraidas ( The Mixing Bowl ) and Cuentada ( Target and Game Plan ).

Now in Corraidas, there is a concept of Lances, which is to set up you opponent by striking in a certain location a certain way to get them to react. Well Cuentada, is designated target and the game plan you have to get there, which includes the use of Lances and all your other techniques.

Therefore, I cannot take credit for this concept. Yet, if I must assign credit I will have to assign Manong Ted Buot, since it was his explanations and examples that opened up the dancing analogy for me to another level of understanding.

Thank you and sorry for the ramble.

Rich

:asian:

OP
S

sweeper

actualy, I have noticed that people who are good dancers are quick to learn movements in genneral faster (so they are much quicker learners in MA)

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
PAUL, you have two -- which one do you like? :) And not to be picky, but you should have "except" not "accept" in the second one. ;)

The dance analogy is pretty good. I'm not sure I would have come up with that myself, but thinking about it it does seem appropriate.

sweeper, while that dancer/MA thing might work generally, I think I'm an exception. :) I've been doing ballroom dancing for about 5 years now and I still have trouble learning the moves our MA teacher shows us. (Go ahead, say I'm not a good dancer, that's the obvious opening, right? :p I know I'm not the best and I need to work on plenty of stuff, but I get my share of compliments from the women, too, so there. ;) ) Anyway, the point is I don't learn very well when instruction is basically mimicking the teacher. The MA class is like that and it's hard for me to learn like that. A little verbal direction can sometimes do more for me than seeing a move half a dozen times. Ballroom was a bit easier for me to learn because I had plenty of written references available in the form of technique books. The experts wrote it down for me to use while learning. I don't have that with MA. I have to rely on my own notes which are only as good as my own understanding. I don't have an expert's description of the forms and such to help me learn. I wish I did, but I'll just have to work with what's available and trying to check with the teacher to make sure I get things right.

OP
S

SolidTiger

" Out of the fraying pan, and into the fire"

Thank You

SolidTiger

OP
S

sweeper

well from my experience dancers are better at sparring, they seem to have better whole body coordination.

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It is fine to find analogous relations between other physical practices and martial arts.

But how many of you routinely describe daily life situations in terms of martial examples...?

Just curious.

Gambarimasu.

:samurai: :samurai:

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
But you sure couldn't tell when I post stuff on this forum!!:rofl:

Dronak: I changed it to except. Good call. My problem when I post stuff is that I am always at work and in a hurry, so I am not a stickler for spelling/grammer.

It would be nice if my friggin signature was spelled correctly, though! :p

To answer your question; the one about the "dance" is my analogy. I wrote it trying to be funny, but Rich made me realize how true the "dance" analogy can be!

We learn something new everyday.:cool:

Have a good day. everyone!:)

OP
S

sweeper

well an analogy goes both ways, so when you make a chess analogy to explain an aspect of martial art, you can turn around and make a martial art analogy to explain chess. The thing is I'm new to MA and the analogies are just there to help me relate to the principles of fighting. but at the same time seeing common ground is kind of interesting.. a book on chess strategy can inspire your fighting and a book on fighting can give you insight into chess. but to answer your question no, I havn't been in martial art long enough to think in terms of MA vs terms of chess or terms of soccer.

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by sweeper

well an analogy goes both ways, so when you make a chess analogy to explain an aspect of martial art, you can turn around and make a martial art analogy to explain chess. The thing is I'm new to MA and the analogies are just there to help me relate to the principles of fighting. but at the same time seeing common ground is kind of interesting.. a book on chess strategy can inspire your fighting and a book on fighting can give you insight into chess. but to answer your question no, I havn't been in martial art long enough to think in terms of MA vs terms of chess or terms of soccer.

Sweeper,

Do not worry about the time in the Martial Arts, it may never come to you in this form in your life time. Everyone thinks and relates differently. This makes the world full of individuals and not robots. So, do not assume if you cannot see an analogy of any kind that you are not getting it. You might just be working on a different learning capabilities then the rest of us. Meaning you might just understand naturally or never understand at all.

Enjoy your training and keep an open mind.

Rich
;)

Latest Discussions