Louisiana elects Indian-American Governor

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congrats to Governor-elect Bobby Jindal.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/10/21/louisiana.governor.ap/index.html

BATON ROUGE, Louisiana (AP) -- U.S. Rep. Bobby Jindal became the nation's youngest governor and the first nonwhite to hold post in Louisiana since Reconstruction when he carried more than half the vote to defeat 11 opponents.

Jindal, the Republican 36-year-old son of Indian immigrants, had 53 percent with 625,036 votes with about 92 percent of the vote tallied. It was more than enough to win Saturday's election outright and avoid a November 17 runoff.

"My mom and dad came to this country in pursuit of the American dream. And guess what happened. They found the American Dream to be alive and well right here in Louisiana," he said to cheers and applause at his victory party.

While I'm not surprised at Jindal winning the election, I'm actually surprised that it didn't at least go to a runoff. The way I figured, the Democrats who normally cast their vote for David Duke (a significant number that cost the Democrats a shot at the house seat that Jindal currently holds), would at least rally against Jindal.

Jindal's a really bright fellow, but I think he's being a bit too ambitious when he claims that he's going to destroy corruption in a system that's awash with corruption. :)

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good news. I can't help but wonder how differently things might have gone in Chocolate City if Jindal had been elected in 2003 rather than Blanco.

Latest Discussions