Losing skin on wood dojang floors

OP
M

Moo D

Training on a hard wood floor will help to condition your feet (no necessarily, callous) over time. Using tape will assist with any injuries sustained.

Regards,'

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
I used to work out on wooden floors quite a bit, and one thing I found that helped a lot was if I went to class with relatively dry feet. (If that's the right term for it.) If I went to work out after wearing shoes all day long, I'd develop friction blisters.

(It was a traditionalist issue at all BTW. We just worked out in the school's aerobics room or else the gymnasuim which both happened to have a wooden floor.)

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ironically, my wife always has a fit whenever she sees the callouses on my feet:xtrmshock She doesn't practice MA and thinks a. It is gross and b. My skin is dying because of the thickened skin.

However, probably due to the callouses, I seldom if ever have friction or movement problems due to training surfaces. Carpet, wood, and cement all work for me.

However, when I have the class go outside to train, we wear shoes to prevent injuries from ground debris. There is a difference between traditional and stupid. Only if I am sure the ground is safe do I let them go barefoot outside.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have three black belts in my family. We all have had foot problems. We had this indoor/outdoor carpet at our 1st school which was pretty abrasive. Since we're in TKD, we spin alot on our toes so our big toes lost skin and got rug burn and subsequent peeling skin. As my calluses built up, I put a lanolin added cream on my feet at night. I really rubbed it in and it helped keep my skin and calluses healthy. Also, I found soaking my feet made them crack-not good. I finally contributed to get a foam puzzle mat for the school for falls and for my joints as well as others. And it made the toes feel better. The mat has undoubtedly saved alot of injuries and there has been less wear and tear. Also, more people are conscious of high-impact sports these days and a foam mat brings more in to join.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Our class trains barefoot on a typical wood gymnasium floor. With almost everyone, it's pretty much the same story- first you're feet are sore, then they callus up and you're fine. If you're concerned about too much dead skin building up, you can always start putting lotion on your feet when you get out of the shower.

There are some surfaces that I would say you should never train barefoot on. These are rough carpet, concrete (especially if it's a hot day), and grass if the terrain is uneven. (There are also obvious ones, like asphalt, gravel, bed of nails, hot coals, etc.)

OP
T

TKDDad

Super glue works well for me when peeling is the problem. I usually use a piece of paper to hold the skin down, and the paper invariably sticks to part of the skin. Then I peel off the extra paper, and the glued on paper gradually wears off.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
TKDDad said:
Super glue works well for me when peeling is the problem. I usually use a piece of paper to hold the skin down, and the paper invariably sticks to part of the skin. Then I peel off the extra paper, and the glued on paper gradually wears off.

Great idea, I forgot about that. My husband uses it for his fingers - musician.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
NW Boiler said:
Ok folks lets try something on a lighter note....... I am having trouble with the skin on my big toes rolling when I workout on wood floors. Has nayone else had this happen? It isn't anything that time won't take care of (healing etc.), just curious if I am the only one out here with sore prehensile toes?

Use LOTS of lotion if you don't want MA shoes. I have the same problem where I study at, so I know from experience. This also makes falls not so fun. And the issue of mats- my dojang is in a church.

Bushi40

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Make sure your feet are dry. When your feet become wet it causes the skin to become softer.

LordOfWu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I am just curious, if you are training on a hard wood floor, why not wear shoes? It will more closely associate with reality (not many walk around barefoot) and it will save your feet

I studied a combination TKD and Kenpo and it was our choice, even on the mats. I primarily went barefoot because it was on mats, but sometimes if I trained a lot in a given week I would wear MA shoes.

Is it a traditionalist thing? I'm just curious.

Latest Discussions