Attachments

• $lookout_mountain_panaramic_.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 231

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hey! I was there!! :lol: Not bad for the ole point and shoot :wink2:
Bob I am wondering if there's not a way to have an enlarged version linked to here. :D ??

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
nice shot!

i thought it was going to be about one of my favorite drive-by truckers songs though:

jf

Last edited by a moderator:

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
very nice! You can almost see the curvature of the globe.

j

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
very nice! You can almost see the curvature of the globe.

j
Well that is lens distortion... Lookout Mountain isn't that high up enough to allow for curvature
Lookout Mountain, Tennessee — Elevation: 1,850 FT (564 M)

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lookout_Mountain,_Tennessee

And interestingly enough it's not really a mountain but a plateau. The shape of the mountain itself is enough to tell you and at some points its roughly 3-4 miles wide by 80 miles long. It's just a real skinny plateau. Still one of the most dominate features of that area's landscape.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
2 more. :)

Attachments

• $web101_1925.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 172
  • $web101_1962.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 178
OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
These are all btw shot with a 5mp Kodak point n shoot on auto. Hey, I'm relaxing, LOL!

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Stones River, TN

Attachments

• $web101_2099.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 177

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice pics, Bob... but forgive one comment.

Civil War cannon shots are beyond common. And (speaking as someone with a stack of 'em...) hard to keep straight after a while. Personally, I'd love to see you use your artistic eye to bring the shots to life more - kind of like the one kind over the cannon, like you're aiming it. That's different. Or get people or something else in the shot to make it more interesting...

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Bob did take one directly over the breech of one cannon, looking down the barrel, which pointed at the ones the Federals used pointing back at us some 300-400 yards away, looks cool. Immediately after that I spotted some deer running behind the cannon and managed to get Bob to spot them as well. Seems that the deer in the area are smart. Chickamauga is a HUGE park and the deer seem to know to hang out there knowing they won't get hunted while inside the boundaries of the park.
Anyway, Bob and I did mention about getting a couple of people to dress in battle dress for both sides and doing some poses... trouble is to find authentic uniforms for rent and to get some rifles that were used during the battle.
One of the neat things about that park is the visitor's center. A gun-lover's paradise. Several hundred varieties of period rifles are on display. Truly an amazing collection. Along with a really cool lighted map of the battle (with narration (even captioned). All in all a really cool place to spend a day (a WHOLE day) there walking, driving or even on horse back exploring the places where over 240K men fought to gain supremacy over the Chattanooga/North Georgia area. The casualties were staggering to say the least for that particular battle.

I think Bob did well enough with that point and shoot and the fact that time was pressing. There are thousands of monuments along the park, including one where we joked that Scrat would go "nuts" for. :D

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've got a lot more shots to put up when I'm home and got time to kill. I've got a few special shots like the one Caver mentioned that I think folks will like. :)

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gunners Eye View - Chickamaugua

Attachments

• $101_1922_web.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 162
OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Iowa Monument - Chattanooga TN

Attachments

• $101_1886web.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 165

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Bob did take one directly over the breech of one cannon, looking down the barrel, which pointed at the ones the Federals used pointing back at us some 300-400 yards away, looks cool. Immediately after that I spotted some deer running behind the cannon and managed to get Bob to spot them as well. Seems that the deer in the area are smart. Chickamauga is a HUGE park and the deer seem to know to hang out there knowing they won't get hunted while inside the boundaries of the park.
Anyway, Bob and I did mention about getting a couple of people to dress in battle dress for both sides and doing some poses... trouble is to find authentic uniforms for rent and to get some rifles that were used during the battle.
One of the neat things about that park is the visitor's center. A gun-lover's paradise. Several hundred varieties of period rifles are on display. Truly an amazing collection. Along with a really cool lighted map of the battle (with narration (even captioned). All in all a really cool place to spend a day (a WHOLE day) there walking, driving or even on horse back exploring the places where over 240K men fought to gain supremacy over the Chattanooga/North Georgia area. The casualties were staggering to say the least for that particular battle.

I think Bob did well enough with that point and shoot and the fact that time was pressing. There are thousands of monuments along the park, including one where we joked that Scrat would go "nuts" for. :D
I said that I liked that one! And that they were nice shots...

As to getting folks in period costume... That's a cinch! Here's a starting point, and I'm sure there are plenty more...The Civil War Reenactors Home Page Not only will you get folks in appropriate period dress, with authentic weapons (you wouldn't believe how picky those guys can be! They can often make the SCA & Renaissance Fair types look like kids playing dress up...), but there's a fair chance that they'll do it free, if you time it right!

I think the movie was Gods & Generals; it was about Gettysburg and featured the largest assembly of reenactors I think was ever done!

Last edited:

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Gunners Eye View - Chickamaugua
Cool! And much more interesting that yet another picture of Cannon #8976.

I also like the pic of the statue you've posted... It's neat the way you've got the statue "posed."

Latest Discussions