looking to start northern mantis

Reaction score
hi ,

ive always wanted to do northern mantis , i like the fluidity of the techniques and how effective they are and how easy it is to get someone to the floor and i just have a few questions:

1. what kind of techniques are used

2. is it hard to get the hang of

3. how long does it take for most schools to grade

4. how many techniques do most schools teacht before you grade

any help apreciated

chris

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
hey hey hey!!!
i hear my name mentioned here :)

1. northern mantis is a very close-range fighting system. you will probably start with basic punches then combinations, to develop sensetivity and relaxation which is essential in close-range fighting. then u'll probably learn to do the same with your feet. You will learn low kicks. Low doesnt mean your target is a low part of your opponent's body, but it means your bringing your target down to your feet.
The art involves a lot of grabs, hooks, punches, kicks. Chi'na (locks and grappling) is emphasized, ground fighting will use same principles as regular fighting.
There are 12 soft principles and 8 hard principles (or techniques) I recommend you read some of this http://authentickungfu.com/seven_star/explanations.html
just to get an idea. you dont have to understand everything on there for now.

2. it will take you a couple of months to relax and understand that being stiff is bad. once you understand the concept you it becomes easier for you. for most people (including me) it takes a while to develop that sensetivity and relaxation.
training with a partner (probably in class) will help you develop strategies that allow you to deploy combinations of techniques. i wouldnt say it's hard to get the hang of

3. I dont understand your question. But i think it should take 3-5 years for a black shash/belt (at least my school requires that)

4. hmm.. i guess you're asking how often do you get promoted? well... depends on the material covered and the school's strategy. there's a lot of material as basic and intermediate, then it becomes less material in quantity but harder to master in advance.

make sure you take input from 7starmantis (adam)..
oh yeah, btw i was talking about 7 star mantis. which style were you thinking?

chris_มวยไทย said:
hi ,

ive always wanted to do northern mantis , i like the fluidity of the techniques and how effective they are and how easy it is to get someone to the floor and i just have a few questions:

any help apreciated

chris

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mantis..
At one time I wanted to study 7 star Mantis..The sifu at the school said he required that students take at least a year of a basic discipline before learning the mantis..Is that a common practice ??

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Drac said:
Mantis..
At one time I wanted to study 7 star Mantis..The sifu at the school said he required that students take at least a year of a basic discipline before learning the mantis..Is that a common practice ??
i dont know what he meant by that. but typically you start with basic training that does not involve too much mantis-specific techniques. you're introduce to pieces of more advanced techniques and stances. maybe he meant body conditioning and basic training. i dont know. just make sure he doesnt make you wash his car and buy his groceries!
which sifu did you visit?

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
chris_มวยไทย said:
yeah i was taling about 7star mantis , thanks for the help
no problem its my pleasure.
which schools/sifu's are you looking at?

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mantis said:
which sifu did you visit?

Thanks for the response..He probably meant basic training and conditioning..It was a long time ago so I cannot recall his name..

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
chris_มวยไทย said:
hi ,

any help apreciated

chris
Hi Chris, Its good to hear of people interested in mantis kung fu. I agree with mantis in his answers so I will attempt to offer a few different answers myself.

1.) Mantis is, depending on your sifu and lineage, an extremely close fighting system so you will see alot of elbows, knees, attacks to the joints, and takedowns/throws. There are alot of simultaneous attacks with hands and feet as well as elbows/knees, etc. There is alot of grabbing, but its not a prolonged holding grab, but a grab to trap, pull off balance, lock, etc. Most grabs are quickly released for a strike or break. It focuses heavily on center of balance and keeping your opponent off balance. I would suggest doing a search here on MT for mantis kung fu or the like. You will find much information regarding the fighting aspects of mantis kung fu.

2.) Yes and No. It is a very large system with alot of techniques involved. However it is not driven by techniques but governed by principles. Therefore it is easy to "catch on" and begin practicing, yet takes many lifetimes to truly master (and sadly I only have one). It is quite effective early on for realistic self defense, yet the true skill is a lifelong learning process. Like anything else it is taught much differently according to the understanding and teaching styles of your sifu. There are bad schools and good schools, forms schools and fighting schools, etc. Normally a new student learns basics and conditions the body, builds strength and speed, develops sensitivity and learns to read and judge their opponents movements....then the "real" kung fu comes later! :)

3.) All CMA schools are going to be different in grading and promoting. Some have belt systems, some do not. Generally speaking, mantis schools are not focused on grading and belt levels. If a school does have a sash system it is most likely not the same as any other mantis school, unless of course they have chosen to cordinate for some reason.

4.) Again, schools will all be different. Depending on their focus and ciriculum they may require mroe techniques, forms, or applications. We all have our own personal biases if you will on what we think should be required, you must find what fits you best. Mantis is a system that teaches forms, so you can expect to learn forms for gradings. Normally mantis schools will require some type of application or fighting fairly early on, probably not the first few gradings though.

I hope this helps you out a bit. Do share what school or Sifu you are looking at training under and we may be able to shed some light on their focus or reputation (not that it really matters).

7sm

OP
chris_มวยไทย
Reaction score
again , thanks for the help i got more than i was expecting , i am still looking for a school as the area (in england) that i live in has very few martial arts schools (tae kwon do , karate and a jujitsu , a few kung fu , a jeet kune do and 2 muay thai schools that i know of) , i will look again now and get back to you on what shools i have a choice of

Changhfy

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hey Chris,

First of its great to meet you!

It looks like your questions were answered.

So ill state some of my opinions of the Tong Long Pai.

Seven Star Praying Mantis (Qi Xing Tang Lang-Chat Sing Tong Long)

is defiantely a system that I would recommend to anyone.

The basic forms that are taught are generally one of the three eith:

Gong Li Quan(gong lek kuen), Sap Yi Lo Tan Tui(12 road tan tui) or Beng Bu/Baam Bo (crush step)

These three lay the foundations for not only tong long but Chinese martial arts in general, they are extremely viable for all Mou Seut practitioners.

Also some kwoons will occasionally teach the sap sei lo tan tui (14 road tan tui) first as opposed to the others. This form is truly awesome as well!

as far as fighting strategies what I found incredibly useful was that the tong long practitioner uses multiple limbs for either locking, trapping, striking or even defending. This was truly amazing to learn and see.

I wish you the best in your practise.

take care,
Chang (your mantis brother)

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
so Chris did you end up joining the school?
keep us posted, how are you liking it? what are you learning, who's your sifu?

Latest Discussions