Looking for WT knives

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can get a pair of the "Wing Tsun" Bart Cham Dao?
Wing lam is my usual go to place for everything WT, but they are out of stock.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Go to http.//www.martialartssupermarket.com (select "kung fu" then "butterfly swords") Check out the third set down, the 15.5 in aluminum model made in China. I bought a set about a yearback and they were very nicely made for the price ($32.95)... way better than the LT aluminum ones from Wing Lam. They are about the right size (short which helps with the "internal rotation" movements) and have the tapered "stabbing-style" blade we use in WT. The only drawback is that they don't have the rectangular shaped hand-guard. That's something LT came up with. Also, you'll want to replace the cheap handle wrap with something better... but that's true on the LT models too.

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
Go to http.//www.martialartssupermarket.com (select "kung fu" then "butterfly swords") Check out the third set down, the 15.5 in aluminum model made in China. I bought a set about a yearback and they were very nicely made for the price ($32.95)... way better than the LT aluminum ones from Wing Lam. They are about the right size (short which helps with the "internal rotation" movements) and have the tapered "stabbing-style" blade we use in WT. The only drawback is that they don't have the rectangular shaped hand-guard. That's something LT came up with. Also, you'll want to replace the cheap handle wrap with something better... but that's true on the LT models too.

The 5th set down look just like the ones we use coming from Wing Lam. Probably made by the same company. They have the correct length, weight, and feel for proper training and hold up well to a bit of abuse. You can not live and train without a pair of quality butterfly swords.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The 5th set down look just like the ones we use coming from Wing Lam. Probably made by the same company. They have the correct length, weight, and feel for proper training and hold up well to a bit of abuse. You can not live and train without a pair of quality butterfly swords.

I was curious about the similarity between the two, so I opened a second window and put the WLE and Martialartssupermarket (set #5) side by side. They have the same length, weight and handle design, but the blades on the WLE page are the "chopper" style, i.e. wide and more blunt at the tip. The similar model at MAsupermarket is more of a "cutter/stabber" with a tapered blade and sharper angle at the tip. In WT-related groups, the second design is favored. We also favor a lighter blade. The heavier blades are more typical of the styles that favor "chopping". But quite honestly, I've only just begun a bit of bart cham do work. Back when I was in WT, this training was reserved for master-level and above, and very costly too. As I am neither a master, nor rich, I am fortunate to have been taught a bit by a kung-fu brother.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Oh, and one more thing. I better get mighty good defending myself with them knives before I dare face my wife to explain why I spent nearly $250 bucks on a pair, nevermind the fancy pair that cost $1,200.

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
I was curious about the similarity between the two, so I opened a second window and put the WLE and Martialartssupermarket (set #5) side by side. They have the same length, weight and handle design, but the blades on the WLE page are the "chopper" style, i.e. wide and more blunt at the tip. The similar model at MAsupermarket is more of a "cutter/stabber" with a tapered blade and sharper angle at the tip. In WT-related groups, the second design is favored. We also favor a lighter blade. The heavier blades are more typical of the styles that favor "chopping". But quite honestly, I've only just begun a bit of bart cham do work. Back when I was in WT, this training was reserved for master-level and above, and very costly too. As I am neither a master, nor rich, I am fortunate to have been taught a bit by a kung-fu brother.

The WLE blades are not like the chopper style, they are the same (right down to the case) as MASupermarket, trust me. The picture may look a little different, but what they send you are exactly like the one's from MASupermarket. I have a pair, and so do 4 of my students (one having ordered them just recently). And they are not the chopper style. Also, if you will look, WLE and MASupermarket use the same part number for ordering. Coincidence? Probably not, they most likely order them from the same manufacturer.

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
These are the blades we use in our system.
http://www.wle.com/products/w450.html

----------------------------------------------
Hi zepedawungchun. Greetings. Some questions on the specific blades from Wing Lam linked above(
$249 ones not the thinnner master ones)

1.how wide are the blades?

2.what is the nature of the metal for the blade part?

I have several bjd's( Koo Sang, LT and others)but I am looking for a particular fit for me-not aluminum, not
too narrow(LT)..not too wide(KooSang)

Thanks much,

joy chaudhuri

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
These are the blades we use in our system.
http://www.wle.com/products/w450.html

----------------------------------------------
Hi zepedawungchun. Greetings. Some questions on the specific blades from Wing Lam linked above(
$249 ones not the thinnner master ones)

1.how wide are the blades?

2.what is the nature of the metal for the blade part?

I have several bjd's( Koo Sang, LT and others)but I am looking for a particular fit for me-not aluminum, not
too narrow(LT)..not too wide(KooSang)

Thanks much,

joy chaudhuri

I don't have access to my blades at the moment, I'll have to measure them. But I can tell you the blade is a little wider than the LT blades, one of my student's has the LT blades. They are about 3 in. wide, where the blade meets the handle, and made of combat steel (stainless steel), not aluminum. They are heavy at about 4 lbs. for the pair. If you're looking to buy a pair, I'd buy these:

http://www.martialartssupermarket.com/index.cfm?action=moreinfo&itemid=10283

They are the same except $20 cheaper, about the price of shipping.

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't have access to my blades at the moment, I'll have to measure them. But I can tell you the blade is a little wider than the LT blades, one of my student's has the LT blades. They are about 3 in. wide, where the blade meets the handle, and made of combat steel (stainless steel), not aluminum. They are heavy at about 4 lbs. for the pair. If you're looking to buy a pair, I'd buy these:

http://www.martialartssupermarket.com/index.cfm?action=moreinfo&itemid=10283

They are the same except $20 cheaper, about the price of shipping.
Thanks much for the info.
joy chaudhuri