Looking for techniques

M

matthewgreenland

I realize that Form 5 has Hopping Crane in it, but what is the attack and the defense for the attack? I am sure this piece of info is out there. I would appreciate anyone enlightening me on some info on this tech? How is hopping crane done? What does it defend against?

Also, Darting Leaves - I have heard of it, but know nothing of it. Please share.

If anyone else knows of other techs that aren't being taught, but are important pieces, let's share the info, if you don't mind.

Thank you -

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Darting Leaves is the second technique pair performed in Long 4 (Step left foot to 10:30 into a cat facing 1:30, left inward parry, thread the needle with a right 2-finger eyeshot and a right front kick to the groin.) It is called Preying Mantis by the Tracy practitioners.

Hopping Crane is the technique after Backbreaker in Long 5. The tech is an offensive technique against an opponent who is on the ground, stomach down. I guess you could say the tech "defends against" your opponent getting back to their feet. (This tech is Foot Rake for us Tracy lineage folks).

Cut and pasted from the KenpoNet Flame:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Set 9: Hopping Crane (Downed Attacker- On Stomach, Head Towards 12 O'clock)
1. Your next attacker is in front of you at 12 o'clock. They are on their stomach with their head towards 12 o'clock. As your attacker rises by pushing up with his hands, you begin to follow up.
2. From your left reverse bow, pivot counterclockwise into a left front twist stance facing 12 o'clock. (Your hands are open left hand at left hip, right arm across your body.)
3. Step your right foot to 12 o'clock.
4. Hop your right foot. Land on your left foot as you execute a right thrusting sweep kick to your attacker's left elbow.
5. Instantly execute a right outward downward palm strike to your attacker's head.
6. Execute a right thrusting knife-edge kick to your attacker's body.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope that helps,

Lamont

OP
M

MisterMike

Originally posted by satans.barber
Reads like excessive force to me does that, kicking a guy while he's on the floor!

Ian.

Eh - well he shouldn't a' tried to get up! :D

OP
C

CoolKempoDude

Hopping Crane is a bb technique ????

OP
M

MisterMike

Originally posted by CoolKempoDude
Hopping Crane is a bb technique ????

Some schools may teach it as a technique. Many use techniques from the forms as filler through thevarious belt levels.

Hopping crane is more of a category completion as it contains some sweeps to the arms of the opponent. We already have sweeps to the legs, so this just shows a little how-to in a sweeps application to the arms.

There are also 2 accepted interpetations to Hopping Crane. In the last example, the opponent is on his hands and knees, face down. I have also heard it for a person standing up, but I think it is less practical. Just doesn't sound "Kenpo".

OP
R

rmcrobertson

My understanding of the form is that a) the right foot executes at least a scoop kick as you come out of the left twist; b) after the right stomp and hop, the move onto the left leg takes you off towards 10:30; c) there's a right knife-edge side-kick, and the reverse motion/rechamber of that kick can be used against, say, the inside of their left arm as they attempt to rise (silly puppy!); d) the hand motions dovetail with those in Kicking Set 1, and can be used throughout their arcs.

Thanks for the discussion; I haven't focused on this part of the form nearly enough.

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
At my school this technique is taught on the black belt list as Skipping Crane. It is taught as an opponent on the ground in front of us crawling towards a weapon, and is usually taught as a possible what if? response to Charging Ram which we teach as Evading the Tackle.

So in essence you've just done Charging Ram, but your opponent is trying to crawl towards a weapon after being knocked to the floor, so you execute Hopping Crane to stop him.

Hopping Crane clearly mirrors Charging Ram, and following it it would continue the striking of the left side of the opponents body.

I was told that Mr. Parker used a similar move against an opponent crawling towards a bottle and thought it would be a useful way to teach a practical application for the skip foot maneuver. We also teach the motion used to sweep the arm as B,C,and D variations against the legs of a standing opponent from various angles.

-Rob

Latest Discussions