Looking for Instructor

R

r6racer

Hi, I have a black belt in Wu Wei Gung Fu. I have been inactive for about 4yrs. I studied a couple different arts from the same instructor but never obtained anything higher than a red belt in any of the other arts.

I’m currently looking for a good school/instructor in possibly the Dallas/Ft.Worth or Austin areas of Texas. I’m right in-between the two cities so I can make the drive to either.

When I was studying a few years ago there were some things that really actually caused me to loose interest. The way I was taught seemed a lot more flash than anything I could actually use. I learned a lot of hand forms and a lot of weapon forms but I never felt like I could actually use my weapons to defend myself. We also did little fighting, it was more drill based etc.

This time I don't plan on quitting. I’m also a lot more picky now that I know what I’m looking for. I want some place where the forms and weapons we are taught will be analyzed more closely so that I might actually be able to do more with a staff/sword than just make some flashy moves. I know its pretty difficult to find but I want a much more traditional training.

I’m actually not very picky about the style, just as long as I can get a more traditional training, I want less flash and more practical use out of the weapons and movements that I’m taught. Obviously I’m looking for a Chinese style since I posted in here but I’m pretty open, though if I had the choice Wing Chun would probably be my first choice.

Thanks for reading, If you know an instructor or school that would fit my needs please lemme know. Im gonna start driving around to all the schools starting this monday. Thanks again for any info you can throw my way.

OP
R

r6racer

Thanks for the links, Ill definately check out their websites.

Also after re-reading my post i may have come off a little on the too practical side, example, i love chinese philosophy and really hope to one day to understand how to control chi etc etc.

Just wanted to update that since i was afraid i may have come off as wanting something purely for defense, I want an instructor who passes on philosophical theories etc.

Now just to find him/her LOL.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
r6racer, welcome to Martial Talk. Help yourself to the various fora here, there is a wealth of good information, and a ton of great people to converse with. If you have any questions or require any assistance, just ask. We're all here to help. Happy posting, and enjoy your stay!
icon7.gif

OP
R

r6racer

Thanks alot for the list. Ya i found wingchun.org and that had alot of schools for me to check out.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to the boards r6racer! Make yourself at home.
Depending on what your looking for there are several Kung Fu Exchange schools in Dallas to Austin and between. We teach mainly 7 Star Praying Mantis Kung Fu but also have a few members who teach Hung Gar, Eagle Claw, and Wah Lum. Our Main School is in Dallas, www.ntkfe.com Also we have a school in Tyler Texas, which is where I am, www.tkff.com And we have a school in Austin, www.ctkfe.com We have several other schools, but these are the main ones in the area you listed.

Check out their websites, they may be something your looking for as well.

7sm

Latest Discussions